“Dec in SOBE”
Review of Essex House

Essex House
Ranked #54 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 29 December 2013

rooms are a little smallish, only 2 of us though & really how much time is spent in your room!!! staff is INCREDIBLY friendly & helpful. no prob with noise ..... and when your standing @ the front desk turn around and get yourself some of the FRESH lemonade!!!! DELICIOUS!!!

There are newer reviews for Essex House

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Wow. From the moment we entered the gorgeous lobby of this the hotel which still contained a few items on loan from the art basel show weeks ago (and was having a happy hour with free beer and wine), to the hip & friendly front desk staff, to our art deco masterpiece room which was worthy of a few photos, to the access to the stunning roof top patios of the neighboring sister hotel, the Clevelander, which must have the best views of the beach & ocean drive in the area - we were impressed. Very impressed. Included a nice continental breakfast in the morning too. The hotel appeared to be enjoyed by all, from families to hipsters to couples of all ages. We had a bit of a hiccup with the valet which was seamlessly and professionally handled by the hotel staff. We could only stay one night, but wished we'd had more time. Would return in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Always nice to check into a place that's an Art Deco masterpiece. My wife and I stayed over Art Basel weekend so South Beach with crawling with pretentious trust funders but we never felt rushed or harried by Essex House staff. We met friends from the UK who were staying on the 2nd floor (we were on the 3rd) and the four of us agreed that our rooms were comfortable, breakfast was tasty and served with a smile, and the verandah was a perfect spot to have a cold beer and watch the South Beach parade pass by. Only downside? The Clevelander Hotel next door. We went there for drinks the night we arrived and were victimised by what I can only describe as the Clevelander's criminal enterprise. At some point we were both robbed -- me of a favourite pocket-sized camera stolen and my wife a light sweater -- amongst the outdoor bar's heavy security. When we asked about it the next day we were treated like rubes, despite the heavy presence of security cameras. I take responsibility for my behaviour when drinking and was initially mad at myself for having my camera nicked but then my wife said her sweater had been swiped ... that's a racket if you ask me. We were told during the excellent Art Deco tour that the Clevelander was the most profitable bar in South Beach. Sadly, it's also the sleaziest, and least trustworthy. Knock down the Clevelander and the Essex House gets 5 stars.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and chose the hotel after looking over the reviews of others posted and comparing with other properties. So glad to see we made the right choice. We took others' suggestion and booked a Suite and will agree it is definitely worth the price dif. Our suite was overlooking Collins Ave. which isn't anything to write home about except for the fact that it is quiet.
We came in December and they are doing construction on Collins Ave. which leads to some traffic issues. However, once we arrived we parked the car, we walked everywhere we wanted to go. There was no construction near the hotel while we stayed, but they are repaving roads and the shopping district was where most of the noise from construction was occuring.

The hotel staff are friendly and take the time to address you by name as you are coming and going. They were helpful with restaurant recommendations and handled any service requests we had. Beach towels are provided daily and they also gave us bottles of water to take up to our room at check in. Complimentary wine and sushi are offered at happy hour Monday through Friday. The wine selection was a good one (Apothic Red)
The continental breakfast was adequate for me. Yogurt, juice, coffee, muffins, cereal and fresh fruit is all I need in the am and it was nice to bring up to the suite to enjoy with my Keurig coffee that I brewed right in my room (my favorite) They do have a nice restaurant area that you can enjoy breakfast in (and they do provide coffee) but we did not use the area.

The rooms were very clean and the suite was very luxurious in size and decor. Big jacuzzi tub with shower and separate sink vanity area. All very modern for a building built in 1936. We had taken an Art Deco walking tour and the Essex was one of the stops on the tour because it is a great example of that era and has much of the original aspects intact.

We enjoyed the quiet, laid back style of the Essex hotel, but did go over to the neighboring Clevelander for one late night esapade that we very much enjoyed! My husband and I are older than most of the crowd there, but everyone couldn't have been nicer to us and we enjoyed watching everyone dancing and even took a turn onstage dancing ourselves for a couple songs before we left.

The Essex is only a block away from the beach and since we drove, we brought our beach chairs which saved us the $15 per chair fee for a rental.

We will certainly stay at the Essex if we get the chance to return to Miami!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Collins Ave.are quieter! Spend the extra for a suite if you can.
1  Thank AnneBonney
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This place was a mixed bunch. We arrived early & asked if we could check in early, we were told the place was booked out & the neighbouring Clevelander had an Oceanfront room available so were take across to see if we wanted to stay there instead. That room was no comparison & faced the noisy bar/pool deck so we turned them down after which point our room was magically available - talk about almost getting palmed off! After that unusual start, the rest of our stay was solid in the well fitted rooms, though my wife had some challenges ordering coffees from room service each time. Breakfast was OK, nothing to write home about but solid enough. Location & building is fabulous, just a shame about the mixed bag of service

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Collins Avenue side of the hotel, otherwise you'll be up all night thanks...
Reviewed 16 December 2013

You can't beat the location and overall value of this hotel. You can enjoy the beach, nightlife, great food, and excellent shopping all within walking distance of this hotel. Like many of the other neighboring hotels, it's located in a historically preserved area but the Essex has done a great job of mixing the old with the new. We stayed in a king suite which gave us a lot of room and made for a very comfortable stay. The room was clean with nice linen, spacious bathroom, and the decor went well with the older features of the room. The bed was comfortable and the room overall felt welcoming and a great place to relax and hang out. The hotel staff was extremely nice and accommodating, and they pride themselves in making sure that their guests have a nice experience. In some of the other reviews, they complained about the noise but I guess we were in a room where we didn't have this problem. I'm a big fan of the 4 and 5 star hotel chains so I wasn't sure if this hotel would meet my expectations. I was pleasantly surprised by what this hotel had to offer. The concierge took care of our last minute spa arrangements and the staff was knowledgeable about surrounding venues. As for the continental breakfast, it's a continental breakfast. If you are looking for great food, then check out their Zen Sai restaurant dinner menu. The food was fresh, hot, and perfectly prepared. Absolutely delicious!

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for the suite. If you aren't happy with any part of your stay, let the sta...
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed at the Essex for 3 nights and 4 days at the start of Miami Art Basel week. The staff were excellent and very helpful when it came to finding the right restaurant. They even changed rooms for us when my friend could hear the music from the neighboring hotel (which we were already made aware of when booking). The breakfast was included in the price and again was substantial and a good choice of things to eat. The beach is just across the road, Art Deco centre just over yhe road. Easy walking distace to everywhere and bus trips around Miami are reasonably priced.
The rooms were slightly smaller than they looked on the website but very clean and everything you need is provided. As we were checking out we began talking to the manager who is very hands on in the hotel, he actally insisted on carrying our bags to the car himself!
The only downside I can think of is having to pay for parking but this is not unusual in South Beach. Most of the hotels are the same. Ps: When you stay at the Essex you can use all the facilities at the Clevelander next door. Great trip with great memories. I will be back next time I visit South Beach.

Room Tip: Make staff aware that if you are a very light sleeper to ask for a room facing the quieter side of t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends