“The Essex House was Great”
Review of Essex House

Essex House
Ranked #53 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Washington DC
“The Essex House was Great”
Reviewed 2 December 2005

My boyfriend and I had reservations at the Winterhaven for last weekend. When we arrived for checkin, we were told that the room had been damaged and that we would be sent to a nearby property, the Essex House. The hotel staff got us a taxi, and we went off to the Essex, where we were upgraded to a suite. Unfortunately, my boyfriend then realized that he had left his wallet, cell phone, and keys in the taxi. We spent the next few hours cancelling credit cards, but the Winterhaven was very helpful, offering to call cab companies for us, and eventually giving us a free dinner at nearby Grillfish.

Both hotels were beautiful, with art deco exteriors and furnishings, and very convenient to the beach. I would recommend either one.

2 Thank erudd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Moscow
Reviewed 22 November 2005

The hotel is near the beach. The rooms have some problems (see pictures). The breakfast has a very limited choice. You can easily reach downtown by bus in 20-30 minutes.

8 Thank Sergey L
Toronto
Reviewed 21 November 2005

I use tripadvisor a lot. Whenever I see several reviews that are at opposite extremes I tend to listen to the more critical ones. Obviously some people are less picky then others, and those individuals won't have a problem. But those who are more picky should tend to give more weight to the negative comments.

This hotel is not very good at all. We changed rooms because of a problem with the first room. The second wasn't much better. The hallways and the rooms were quite dirty. The hotel staff not overly friendly. We checked out the following morning and moved to a different hotel.

There are better hotels in the same price range not far from the Essex.

• Stayed February 2005
4 Thank jbmclw
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 November 2005

This little hotel is located between 9th & 10th Street on Collins Avenue. It's a very convenient location, 1 block from the beach and close to the shopping district. The hotel staff is very friendly and they are ready to help with any requests. The breakfast buffet is nice and has a good variety of items. The rooms are small and not that great. They could use some fixing up. If you plan on spending a lot of time in the hotel room, this is not the place for you. If you want to be out and about then this place will work for you. You get what you pay for and this is very cheap for a South Beach hotel. Enjoy your stay!!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 October 2005

The hotel is in a good location and very short walk to the beach, as those Americans really don’t like to walk!!

I booked a twin room as I stayed with my mum and when we arrived was told that no twins were available and was offered either a very grotty double room or a grotty double suite. The suite had a sofa bed which I would not ask my worst enemy to sleep on! The room was dirty but the bathroom was fab, huge Jacuzzi bath. But then how much time do you spend in your hotel room when you are in a sunny place like Miami??

The one porter was very busy and not really happy when we asked him to carry our 2 BIG suitcases up the 3 flights of stairs to our room. We were in a block that you had to go outside then back in and there was no elevator.

The breakfast was good, fruit, muffins and cereal. The hotel is in a good location but don’t expect much and if you get a better room than I did....BONUS. Enjoy your time in Miami!!

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 12 September 2005

I had a 5 day break here over the Labor holiday weekend.
the hotel as far as I am concerned is int he best location on South Beach.
It is just behind the noisy clevelander Hotel.
The breakfast was yummy with plenty of pastries and fruit.
The pool is adequate for a quick dip and relax., becasue the beach is a 5 minute walk onto ocean drive literally.
Teh concierge are very friendly and can give you access passes to the clubs.
The rooms are quiet which is ideal at night time after a hard night clubbin it.
I will definitely stay again well don Essex!!!

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank camperban
Bristol UK
Reviewed 22 August 2005

I had booked the Essex House via the Internet for a 2 night stay on the way back home after visiting Peru and having read a number of very negative reviews about the Essex House I was a bit concerned about what we would find there. However, I need not have been concerned as the hotel was very good. The beach, restaurants and so on were all within easy walking distance (a great consideration in Miami in August). The rooms were more than adequate - clean, cool and quiet. The staff were friendly and helpful and the pool was a great place to cool off and relax in after a hot day out in Miami. I stayed there with my 14 year old daughter and she loved it. Would I stay there again - yes if I visit Miami again.

• Stayed August 2005