“Carpet is disgusting”

Ranked #52 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Ottawa
“Carpet is disgusting”
Reviewed 14 April 2006

Stayed for New Year 2006, one week.

Location: perfect
Breakfast: for the money you pay, 220 CAD, I would say it should be way better. However, Miami Beach is expensive. Nice terrace to enjoy the breakfast.
Personnel: nice

Bad parts: the room was incredible dirty. The bathroom was not clean. The carpet was disgusting. The idea of the room was nice, but with that carpet and the dirt??? The refrigerator was inside the room. Very noisy thing. Could not sleep well. There is plenty of space in the wardrobe, before getting into the room but still they putted there.

I would not stay again. I regret I did not book Colony instead.

By buss, .25 cents…at the end of the line (opposite direction to downtown) there is a supermarket. Excellent. Takes 10 minutes to get there.

Stayed January 2006

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
new jersey
Reviewed 11 April 2006

I stayed at the Essex House because of the location and the inexpensive price. The location was perfect, within easy walking distance to lots of miami hotspots and shops, and a block off the beach. The Clevelander is adjacent to the hotel, but I never heard the music from inside my room. The rooms are small but adequate. We had to request additional towels, but they were delivered quickly. The staff is friendly and helpful. This hotel was as expected for the very cheap rate we paid. This hotel is older, in the great SoBe art deco style, but don't expect it to be as nice as the photos seem to be. Also to note, there is a mandatory $5/day "amenities fee" that you will pay upon arrival. I hear someone was trapped in the elevator, so I would advise taking the stairs at all times.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank leaf2120
Sheffield
Reviewed 18 March 2006

Stayed for 6 nights.
If we had not have booked through agent and prepaid
would have not stayed 1 night.
Corridor was dirty.
Room carpet had never been cleaned since its
was revamped.
Thick dust on skirtingboards.
Bathroom tiles needed cleaning and re sealing.
NOT a 3 star hotel.
Looked at this site for information before we
stayed and must agree with most reviews about
dirty furniture and carpets.
The bar was always closed when you needed it.
Closed at 10pm on our last night.
Expensive, but Miami is now very expensive in everyway
Virgin Holidays sell this hotel so you can tell the standard that Virgin Holidays have. I am suprised that
they are still using it

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank Philsheff
Pa
Reviewed 27 January 2006

We stayed here only 2 nights. I wouldn't recommend it for a longer stay. It is in need of a make-over. We were lucky we got a corner suite which faces Collins Ave. The room was spacious, but as said carpets are worn, furniture tables has stains. It is clean, the beds were comfortable. The street was not noisy, we had the air on, and when it came on it would wake you out of your sleep! Quite noisy. The location is a great plus within walking distance of the beach. The continental breakfast is just o.k. We got a great mid week deal for $89.00 a night. If you can't get a great deal then shop around. Also the elevator have a maximum of 3 people. It is somewhat scary to say the least. Staff are very nice.

• Stayed January 2006
2 Thank Diann24
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 January 2006

I reserved a room at the Essex house on Friday Dec 30 this year. I didn't have very many choices because of the 3 night minimum for the New Year's weekend. The "suite" was 400 dollars which was double normal price. I was supposed to have a corner suite. I ended up with a large room not on the corner. I guess it was a "suite" because there was a couch. The room was filthy: dirty carpet, dirty couch, and the bathroom wasn't clean either. The walls were so thin I could hear the guy in the next room snoring. I got no sleep and was very glad to leave the next morning. The staff was friendly and the location of the hotel was good. I did get a small credit since a corner suite wasn't available. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Arlington, TX
Reviewed 19 January 2006

Our family of seven stayed at the Essex House on Christmas as a prelude to our family reunion cruise. This is our third trip to South Beach. Compared to the trendy Kent and the high-rise Holiday Inn, the Essex rooms are fairly basic and a little small for four. But for the price, it was still a great deal. The rooms were clean, the beds very comfortable and the staff genuinely nice. We had drinks on the front patio in the evening. The Essex Happy Hour runs all night and the drinks were a great bargain. The location is perfect. It's a short walk to Ocean Drive and the beach. We had a late flight home following the cruise and they allowed us to check our luggage with them for the day at no charge. They even offered the use of their pool and showers.

• Stayed December 2005
3 Thank MsTipster
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 January 2006

The rooms are clean, the hotel is very close to the beach and nightlife. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2006