“Dirty dirty dirty”
Review of Essex House

Essex House
Ranked #56 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 7 May 2006

What a shame. The building has a beautiful exterior and the porch is absolutely lovely.
The problems begin when you walk in the door.
I was greeted by a surly front desk person. When I got to my "suite" (actually a large room), I found that the furniture and carpets were filthy - just as others have written.
The bathroom was also dirty and there were stains in the jacuzzi - why would anyone actually want to sit in a stained jacuzzi??

The place really is noisy. It seems the suites are booked up by large groups of rowdy kids who party all night. Why would they pay for seperate rooms when they can fit 4-6 in one suite? Calls to the front desk asking for help in quieting late night noise down from the next room and the room above me went unheeded.

So - if you are a spring-break type who wants to party and make noise and don't care about filthy rooms - the place is great. Too bad the management settles for this rather than make this potentially beautiful hotel a truly comfortable place.

4  Thank DollyLevy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,931)

Reviewed 1 May 2006

What can I say.......this Hotel was disgusting. Here it is:

1 Filthy rooms (incl carpet, bathrooms etc etc)
2 Noisy rooms (it seemed every loudmouth in Miami stays here. The paper thim wall exentuate the noise)
3 Lack of customer service skills

Do yourself a favour, do NOT stay here. That is, if you appreciate a clean room and a reasonable sleep at night.

2  Thank ScotandHelen
Reviewed 30 April 2006

We were upgraded to a suite but when we got into the "suite" it was disguisting, I booked this hotel on orbitz as part of a package deal and the pictures and description looked promising. When we got into the hotel I didn't even want to sit down, there were stains on the floor, the bed wasn't made right, there was mold and dust everywhere, and the furniture had huge stains on them. This place was a complete dive, we had to go to the front desk to have them give us a new room and that one was better, but we would not stay here again.

3  Thank Andrea O
Reviewed 23 April 2006

The pictures on the hotel's website are very misleading. We saw three different rooms before settling on a $45.00 suite upgrade. All the carpets were stained, as were the bed linens. Worst problem is the walls are paper thin. We were told by indifferent management staff that this is how it is here on the weekends in March and April. We are in our 40's and did not expect a spring break type hotel for a price of over $250 a night.
Drunk cliental coming and going, and fighting....all hours of the night and early morning.
I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2006
1  Thank KimBostonMa
Reviewed 22 April 2006

I called this hotel directly and made a reservation, used my credit card and was given a confirmation number.

Upon arrival at the Essex House, they could not find my reservation. Said I had none, and proceeded to tell me I could get a room for $100 more per night then I had confirmed with my direct phone reservation!!!

Interior is unkept, lobby is a mess. Front desk was a mess and the people under qualified. People hanging outside were scary.

We were outraged, after that we walked out, down the street to Ocean Drive, and got a reservation at a chic botique hotel called The Strand and never looked back.

2  Thank Tea0008
Management response:Responded 26 April 2006

Our sincere apologies if there was confusion with your reservation. Upon arrival did you provide the front desk associate with your confirmation number given upon booking the room? It is extremely rare to not locate a reservation for a guest whena confirmation number is provided.

On behalf of the Essex House, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Reviewed 14 April 2006

I was expected the worse, so nothing really surprised me. The hotel looked nice from the lobby, but the hallways looked horrible. My room was ok. The carpets definitely were dirty, and- like others- there were no bath towels in my bathroom. Overall, it was OK. I wouldn't stay there again, but I didn't want to run screaming out the door when I got there. That said, when my boyfriend had a business trip in coconut grove, I gave up my prime location (it's biggest selling point) on SoBe for his nicer hotel where it didn't feel so "dirty".

Reviewed 14 April 2006

Stayed for New Year 2006, one week.

Location: perfect
Breakfast: for the money you pay, 220 CAD, I would say it should be way better. However, Miami Beach is expensive. Nice terrace to enjoy the breakfast.
Personnel: nice

Bad parts: the room was incredible dirty. The bathroom was not clean. The carpet was disgusting. The idea of the room was nice, but with that carpet and the dirt??? The refrigerator was inside the room. Very noisy thing. Could not sleep well. There is plenty of space in the wardrobe, before getting into the room but still they putted there.

I would not stay again. I regret I did not book Colony instead.

By buss, .25 cents…at the end of the line (opposite direction to downtown) there is a supermarket. Excellent. Takes 10 minutes to get there.

Stayed: January 2006