Freehand Miami
US$459
US$329
US$238
  • Beachfront
Circa 39 Hotel(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$320
US$309
  • Pool
Fontainebleau Miami Beach(Miami Beach)
US$623
US$436
US$428
US$335
US$394
US$337
  • Beachfront
The Miami Beach EDITION(Miami Beach)
US$609
Travelocity
US$405
US$371
1,015 results
All reviewsbroken shakerbunk bedsshared roomsouth beachpower outletspool areacool vibecommon areasgreat pooltwo blocksenjoyed my staycollins avenueart decoocean drivehosteldormmiami
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 August 2013

On my second time visit to Miami, I was searching for a place to sleep well, nice atmosphere and to relax. This hostel has it all. Great rooms, the garden and the pool are awsome, and at night it has great people visiting the bar. Really a great place to stay in Miami. The only problem in my visit was an Irish dude who never saw daylight, partying all night and was very lousy at night, but that was just luck.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2013

After reading reviews, we decided to give this place a go. It was no cheaper than a lot of the smaller hotels as we had a private family room. This was fine. More basic than hotels ie nothing but beds and bathroom but clean and comfortable. Pool was nice but kids (both 13) found the people lounging around the edge smoking in the pool a bit intimidating so refused to go in. Beach nearby so not a problem. Breakfast tasty.
The bar was a real issue for us. Our room was not overlooking this- great!! However, during a storm, what sounded like the whole of the bar came into the lobby which was close to our room. The music and talking/laughing/screeching went on to about 3.30 am keeping us all awake. This was right beside reception so I can only imagine this is thought to be acceptable.
So, would I stay again? No. I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to review our property - we value your feedback and we're working on preventing these problems in the future!

Reviewed 3 August 2013

This was my first hostel experience. I traveled with a group of 14 girls for a bachelorette weekend, Thursday-Sunday. The bride-to-be is an avid hostel-goer and chose the Freehand. Luckily, because of the size of our group, we all filled out the private quads and bungalow with ourselves and never had additional guests, even the two in the shared quad never had to experience sharing their room.

You get what you pay for here. The breakfast is blah, the pastries were sometime stale and the fruit not yet ripe. The cleaning crew does come daily, however we chose to just have fresh towels, toilet paper, and trash bags delivered so that they didn't have to climb over our stuff in the bungalow or potentially have something thrown out that we wanted to keep. The pool area is great, the bar is nice, but overpriced as many in Miami are. The rooms all have electronic keys like hotels and there are lockers inside for valuables, just bring your own lock.

In more detail about the bungalow, which is the room I was in. We had bungalow 2. We did not realize there were more than one bungalow, otherwise we would have booked both instead of having our group all split up amongst private quads etc. the bungalows are also not attached to the rest of the property, they are outside across a small courtyard/driveway and there is no access back in without having to walk around to the main lobby. You could wait for someone to open the back hall door but good luck with that. It was spacious in the common are and that's about it. The "kitchen" was the size of an NYC apt kitchen, with barely any room to actually move in it, but it did come stocked with plates, utensils, pots, pans, glasses etc.

The biggest FAIL of bungalow 2 is that there is only one bathroom and it is very small. It was difficult sharing this with 3 other girls. Also, there was not a single full length mirror in the entire place. Our other girls had full length mirrors in the quads, but the bungalow had none. The hot water took forever to heat up for a shower, the toilet was awkward with flushing, and the bathroom was essentially a "hot box". No windows, 2 door access - hallway and bedroom. No counter space, no place for hair items etc. no place to hang wet swimsuits so we basically made a mess of this entire unit by the time we left.

We walked to the beach every day, but it is not "south beach". The beach behind the complex is Miami north beach. South beach is a good 7 minute cab ride away. However, we enjoyed the privacy and proximity of the north beach. There is a cafe with great inexpensive food, coffee, empanadas etc, across the street, along with a Subway chain, bodega/corner store and a small souvenir shop.

There are many Europeans staying here as it is a quite popular and inexpensive way to stay somewhere and travel. They smoke weed a lot. The lobby often smelled like marijuana. The pool area has plenty of smokers milling about, during the day and after hours when being served at night by the broken shaker. I don't smoke (anything), but if you do, you should have no trouble getting high.

Overall I felt ok with the hostel, it only cost about $150 for the 3 nights for each of us in the bungalow, but it is not my style and I wouldn't do it again. I can check it off the bucket list and never look back.

Room Tip: Go with a small group and get a private quad or bungalow.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Christine S
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I dropped by for a bite to eat and a drink one evening. Their menu isn't extensive (mostly bar fare) but seems promising. The flat bread pizza was tasty and the fresh ingredients from the garden are appreciated. Drinks try to be unique with recipes that include ingredients such as beets. They're good but not great, and they could certainly be larger or stronger (especially for the price). Glasses are rather small by most standards, and one of my drinks was essentially one large ice cube; I made it through in about 60 seconds and not because I had any intention of doing so.

Ultimately, the saving grace of this spot is its outdoor seating/patio. I went on a beautiful, breezy summer night and was treated to a seat under mature trees with overhanging branches and subdued string lighting. The music selection was also eclectic and a nice change of pace from most bars. A pool and games (e.g. ping pong) are also available; though, I didn't ask if they were available to bar guests as well as hotel guests. This is definitely a nice spot to relax with a few friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

I have never stayed in a hostel and have always wanted to. I figured at $19 a night I should try it. If I were only 10 years younger I think I would have really enjoyed my stay! The bar is neat, excellent drinks. Lots of places to hang out, relax and mingle. Even though beds were assigned someone was in mine when I arrived. It's not the cleanest but everyone was respectful and quiet. It's a good opportunity to meet people from around the world. Breakfast was simple but free and the atmosphere was peaceful. Overall a great deal if you know you are a good match for a hostel. On my second night in Miami I checked in at the Hilton and took a deep sigh of relief.

• Stayed: June 2013