“Super fun hotel. I am glad I took a chance on it.”
Review of Freehand Miami

Freehand Miami
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I am happy I decided to branch out from my usual with this hotel. It is so expensive to stay in Miami in the Winter so I gave this "hostel" a try. I am glad I did. I booked a private room. I was there on business. It was stylish, clean and the staff was wonderful. My one caution is that it is a bit loud at night. Bring earplugs if you are not there to party.
The outdoor area is fantastic. It is has a bohemian vibe. It is like a bit of San Francisco in South Beach. I also love that there is no "resort fee" or WiFi fee that effectively raises ypur room rate. You can rent a towel for $5.
The location is great. A fairly short walk to Lincoln Drive. The beach is a block away. The rental bikes make all of South Beach easily accessible. Street parking was easy to find and there is a lot a block away. The crowd skews young (I am 44!) but everyone is friendly.
A few small complaints...
The pool is only open until 6pm
There is no coffee available before 8am
The breakfast is just okay.
Have fun!

Room Tip: Room 209 is in the center of the hall and ALL of the hallway and lounge noise makes it's way int...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank steferx

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I had one day before going to Miami and still hadn't found lodging after countless attempts to book via airbnb. Then Trip Advisor asked if I was still in search and sent me some suggestions, including the Freehand. The reviews were great, and I can now say totally on point. All my friends who live in Miami (and didn't have room for me) suggested we go to the Freehand to have drinks, not knowing I was already staying there. It's a trendy spot for those looking for a low key hang by a pool surrounded by charming touches like street art on the fence and fairy lights in the grove of trees. I stayed in an 8 person shared room. No complaints except one of the two bathrooms there was clogged and it took them a day to fix it.

Room Tip: Check out the bungalows!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Alejcali
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback - we are glad you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Hotel is great value for the price, very friendly staff. If you are traveling solo or with a group of friends that is the place to stay at, very close to the beach, have a good breakfast and most importantly a bar and a swimming pool.. Lots of party.. Meeting new people, making friends from all over the world...

Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AwesomeSmSm
Reviewed 13 January 2014

A really amazing hostel ! It was very clean. And if you have any question or problem they will come in 10 minutes. For example, we asked for blankets because we were cold (yes I know, cold in Miami ^^) and the handyman was here 10 min later with 2 big blankets ! The staff is really helping if you have any question. Perfect place I will come back there if I come again to Miami.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed at the Freehand Miami for 2 nights and had a great time. Check in was efficient. We had a 4 bed room for the three of us, nice furniture like no other hostel has. We really appreciated the nice garden with the swimming. The guest kitchen is fine as well. Only drawback was the fact that we had a third floor room and the elevator was out of order. No problem without luggage but climbing the stairs with the luggage was a bit tough.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Truus58
Reviewed 7 January 2014

It's worth crashing at Freehand for a night, at least. You will experience Freehand's trendy charm and the youthful adventure of a hostel, at half the price of a mediocre airport hotel even if you also book a rental car.

The accommodations are comfortable and clean while the helpful staff will show you around the facility if you ask. The building's charm (with the ambiance of a well-traveled hipster with accompanying music during breakfast) compliment a key perk: it's location. A straight shot from MIA, it's easy to find. There's a public parking area is a block away ($1/hr and free overnight). Staying here means that you're close to the action but far enough from SoBe to actually find a place to park.

Although staying in a hostel isn't for everyone, at breakfast time one can find a wide range of travelers, mostly young but a few in their 30s and 40s. Staying here was a good decision.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank GoJason
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Hostel with good standard. Nice garden, and swimming pool. 15-20 minutes walk from South Beach downtown, 3 minutes walk from beach. Very fast wi-fi, good working A/C. Small breakfast, just fruit and cookies.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple