“Wish I went with my other choice”
Review of Freehand Miami

Freehand Miami
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was extremely excited about staying at the Freehand Miami. Everything was easy until I arrived. First their card reader wasn't working so I never received a room key. I understand that these things happen with technology. Whenever I needed to get into my room I had to go to the front desk to ask them to open my door. One lady didn't have a key to open any of the doors even though she was working at the front desk.. the other guy made me wait for 5 minutes and just continued helping the people behind me even though I had been waiting before any of these people. My stay is up and I still never received a key. A guy who looked like a manager told me that I should ask the girl at the front desk to make me a key because it was now working and that he had made keys earlier on in the day. I get to the front desk and the girl says it's still not working. Is there some kind of miscommunication going on or something? Having no key was just a hassle.

I stayed in a four person dorm on one of the top bunks. Whose idea was it to put a light so close to the ladder? Every time I climbed up the ladder to my bed I would knock the light - a bit dangerous (room 105). The bathrooms were tiny and whenever I had a warm shower I had to get a towel to turn off the hot water tap because it was extremely hot.

The fruit and orange juice at breakfast was great.

The outdoor area, pool, ping pong tables and bars were awesome. A great way to interact.

Oh and the beds were extremely comfortable and had a lot of privacy!!

Room Tip: Try to not get a room on the bottom level. I was in room 105 and I could always hear people out in t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CarlaLouise1992
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback – we are sorry about the inconvenience with our room keys during your stay! Please reach out to us directly at info.miami@thefreehand.com and allow us to make it up to you!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

You’re already in Miami Beach and things get better!

Tiki bar, ping pong tables next to the pool, wishing well and the Broken Shaker Bar’s "Knight in Shining Armor" awaits you at the retro-feel-with-hip-vibe back patio and lounge. Clean bunk in quad with plugs to charge the utmost hi-tech companions; clean bathroom (though piping could use a bit of work) and plenty of towels (ask for more at the reception desk if your earlier-arrival roomies “borrowed” yours from your designated locker) and drinking water available; breakfast is OK to fuel the bike rides and kitesurfing!

Efficient, effective and friendly staff ready to assist the most weary of travelers without gushing about the ArtDeco ambience of the main lounge: table games, lending library, activities boards and plenty of seating areas to accommodate awaiting friends, family or in-line skaters going by.

You’re in Miami Beach!! All amenities are close or within public transportation – or citi bike – reach.

For the price, the location, the company and accommodations: 5-stars! Piping, roomies that take up most available space (everywhere!) and lack of non-fried pastries and cereals at breakfast: 1 "improvement" star reserved.

Experience to believe. :)

Room Tip: I saw the private rooms and it seems to me that the quads on the 2nd and 3rd floor are quieter. If...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Not the type of hotel I am used to, however for the price you get good value. Yes, it's a hostel however you can get a private room for a little more money. I stayed in a private room. It was very clean and hip. The bathroom was not shared, but extremely small.
Staff was nice. About a 10-15 minute walk to the confusion of south beach.
Only real complaint was the noise at night. You can hear everything in the room next door/hallway and street. AND people are NOT quiet in hostels! Woke up several times during the night; from screaming in the hallway, to people in the next room shattering, to cars revving under my window. This was a bit of a downer because I spent extra for the peace and quiet of a single room.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I came here with a bachelorette party. We stayed in an 8-person bunk room, which had 2 full attached bathrooms. The bunks were actually pretty comfortable and I slept very well here. Each bed had its own light and power plugs, too.

The property was well-located, close to the beach, and very close to a grocery store. The front desk staff was very helpful. And the pool/patio/bar area outside was beautiful - peaceful and casual during the day, but more of a bar at night. There was a mix of travelers here, many from outside the US, and it was an upbeat crowd without being a college scene. I would definitely consider staying here again on my next trip to Miami, especially since they have private rooms as well.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hi,

Thanks for the review - we're glad you all had a good time at the Freehand! We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Let me start out by saying that I'm not a hostel guy. Many people are, but I have an aversion to sharing stuff with strangers (and sometimes with people that I know). But this place was very nice. The rooms were small for the number of people that had to fit in, but it was a pretty good experience. The bar/lounge area was the busiest location on Collins. Many people came there even if they weren't staying there. There were some very attractive women there.

The young guys will love it. And everyone was very cool. Not "go out of your way friendly" (the staff there was), but people were pleasant.

I wanted a cheap place to sleep and this more than fit the bill. Walking distance to South Beach & the craziness down there & the facilities were great and clean.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kahntra

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to review us - we're glad we exceeded your hostel expectations!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

It is a very good hostel, the people who attend the front desk always have a good mod, the atmosphere is really god, the breakfast is not a full one (coffe, juice, and muffins)but is free and is quite enough. The locations is a really advantage because you are only 10 blocks of distance from the main place so is nice to make a walk night.only a few thing, it would be great if the hostel have a parking, is really something tedius find parking in this place and also expensive. I recomend it!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ezequiel R
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Freehand has a good location, it´s really no need to stay in a pricy hotel in South Beach.

Parking can be a hassle as they don´t offer valet parking or own any lots, and public parking in the area is limited to 3 hours from 8pm to 6am. Ask the service-minded receptionists if they have a parking card in that you can borrow, those cards apparently make it easier.

The private king suites is great. We got a living room with a big couch, a bath, and a large bedroom with a very comfortable bed. Big flatscreen TV´s in both rooms. All the furniture was new and the apartment was perfectly cleaned every day.

Freehands backyard bar/café has a great relaxing lounge vibe and is filled with people in the nights.

Room Tip: The private king suites is great. We got a living room with a big couch, a bath, and a large bedroom...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple