“More a hotel than hostel”
Review of Freehand Miami

Freehand Miami
“More a hotel than hostel”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

The place is great and definitely more of a hotel. Really close to the beach. The biggest issue is the front desk service being extremely slow. Usually one person on the desk and leaving it unmanned long periods. Service is definitely not worth the money you pay...

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback - we value your input and hope you decide to come back and stay with us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Is much better than most hostels I've stayed. Probably the most comfortable beds. Pool is nice and bar is good and stays open until 2am if your back by then. Had to get taxis to the main part of ocean drive each night but it's only $10 one way including tip so not bad. If I was coming back to Miami I would probably splash out and stay in a more local hotel. But if your on a budget this place is perfect.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ben E
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was extremely excited about staying at the Freehand Miami. Everything was easy until I arrived. First their card reader wasn't working so I never received a room key. I understand that these things happen with technology. Whenever I needed to get into my room I had to go to the front desk to ask them to open my door. One lady didn't have a key to open any of the doors even though she was working at the front desk.. the other guy made me wait for 5 minutes and just continued helping the people behind me even though I had been waiting before any of these people. My stay is up and I still never received a key. A guy who looked like a manager told me that I should ask the girl at the front desk to make me a key because it was now working and that he had made keys earlier on in the day. I get to the front desk and the girl says it's still not working. Is there some kind of miscommunication going on or something? Having no key was just a hassle.

I stayed in a four person dorm on one of the top bunks. Whose idea was it to put a light so close to the ladder? Every time I climbed up the ladder to my bed I would knock the light - a bit dangerous (room 105). The bathrooms were tiny and whenever I had a warm shower I had to get a towel to turn off the hot water tap because it was extremely hot.

The fruit and orange juice at breakfast was great.

The outdoor area, pool, ping pong tables and bars were awesome. A great way to interact.

Oh and the beds were extremely comfortable and had a lot of privacy!!

Room Tip: Try to not get a room on the bottom level. I was in room 105 and I could always hear people out in t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank CarlaLouise1992
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback – we are sorry about the inconvenience with our room keys during your stay! Please reach out to us directly at info.miami@thefreehand.com and allow us to make it up to you!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 May 2014

You’re already in Miami Beach and things get better!

Tiki bar, ping pong tables next to the pool, wishing well and the Broken Shaker Bar’s "Knight in Shining Armor" awaits you at the retro-feel-with-hip-vibe back patio and lounge. Clean bunk in quad with plugs to charge the utmost hi-tech companions; clean bathroom (though piping could use a bit of work) and plenty of towels (ask for more at the reception desk if your earlier-arrival roomies “borrowed” yours from your designated locker) and drinking water available; breakfast is OK to fuel the bike rides and kitesurfing!

Efficient, effective and friendly staff ready to assist the most weary of travelers without gushing about the ArtDeco ambience of the main lounge: table games, lending library, activities boards and plenty of seating areas to accommodate awaiting friends, family or in-line skaters going by.

You’re in Miami Beach!! All amenities are close or within public transportation – or citi bike – reach.

For the price, the location, the company and accommodations: 5-stars! Piping, roomies that take up most available space (everywhere!) and lack of non-fried pastries and cereals at breakfast: 1 "improvement" star reserved.

Experience to believe. :)

Room Tip: I saw the private rooms and it seems to me that the quads on the 2nd and 3rd floor are quieter. If...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Not the type of hotel I am used to, however for the price you get good value. Yes, it's a hostel however you can get a private room for a little more money. I stayed in a private room. It was very clean and hip. The bathroom was not shared, but extremely small.
Staff was nice. About a 10-15 minute walk to the confusion of south beach.
Only real complaint was the noise at night. You can hear everything in the room next door/hallway and street. AND people are NOT quiet in hostels! Woke up several times during the night; from screaming in the hallway, to people in the next room shattering, to cars revving under my window. This was a bit of a downer because I spent extra for the peace and quiet of a single room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
New York, NY
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I came here with a bachelorette party. We stayed in an 8-person bunk room, which had 2 full attached bathrooms. The bunks were actually pretty comfortable and I slept very well here. Each bed had its own light and power plugs, too.

The property was well-located, close to the beach, and very close to a grocery store. The front desk staff was very helpful. And the pool/patio/bar area outside was beautiful - peaceful and casual during the day, but more of a bar at night. There was a mix of travelers here, many from outside the US, and it was an upbeat crowd without being a college scene. I would definitely consider staying here again on my next trip to Miami, especially since they have private rooms as well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hi,

Thanks for the review - we're glad you all had a good time at the Freehand! We hope to see you again!
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Let me start out by saying that I'm not a hostel guy. Many people are, but I have an aversion to sharing stuff with strangers (and sometimes with people that I know). But this place was very nice. The rooms were small for the number of people that had to fit in, but it was a pretty good experience. The bar/lounge area was the busiest location on Collins. Many people came there even if they weren't staying there. There were some very attractive women there.

The young guys will love it. And everyone was very cool. Not "go out of your way friendly" (the staff there was), but people were pleasant.

I wanted a cheap place to sleep and this more than fit the bill. Walking distance to South Beach & the craziness down there & the facilities were great and clean.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kahntra
Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to review us - we're glad we exceeded your hostel expectations!