“Travellers Beware - laptops and iPad stolen from lockers”
Review of Freehand Miami

Freehand Miami
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Dear Travellers,

Please be aware while choosing this hostel, I just had the misfortune of having my Apple MacBook Pro and iPad stolen from the locker. Earlier in the day one more room mate from the room had his Laptop stolen. The hostel staff did nothing and are unwilling to review the camera recording stating they are unauthorised to review the recordings and need to wait until the manager arrives. I have reported the incident with Miami Beach Police. Not expecting much from the investigations though.

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Saideep
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Hi there,

We are so sorry to hear about your poor experience. Please contact us directly at info.miami@thefreehand.com so we can investigate further into the incident.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Loved this hostel, even better than expected! The decor is fantastic, the staff are helpful. It's clean and comfortable - more like a hotel than a hostel. I would definitely go back again.

Our room was comfortable and clean - and private! Pool is great and the outside area is really nice. The drinks at the bar are amazing and the atmosphere at night is really good.

So close to the beach and there are shops only down the road. Excellent location.

Room Tip: Go private, we got a 4 bed dorm and it was perfect!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to review us! We're so glad you had an amazing stay at the Freehand - we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

The place is great and definitely more of a hotel. Really close to the beach. The biggest issue is the front desk service being extremely slow. Usually one person on the desk and leaving it unmanned long periods. Service is definitely not worth the money you pay...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback - we value your input and hope you decide to come back and stay with us again!

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Is much better than most hostels I've stayed. Probably the most comfortable beds. Pool is nice and bar is good and stays open until 2am if your back by then. Had to get taxis to the main part of ocean drive each night but it's only $10 one way including tip so not bad. If I was coming back to Miami I would probably splash out and stay in a more local hotel. But if your on a budget this place is perfect.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ben E
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was extremely excited about staying at the Freehand Miami. Everything was easy until I arrived. First their card reader wasn't working so I never received a room key. I understand that these things happen with technology. Whenever I needed to get into my room I had to go to the front desk to ask them to open my door. One lady didn't have a key to open any of the doors even though she was working at the front desk.. the other guy made me wait for 5 minutes and just continued helping the people behind me even though I had been waiting before any of these people. My stay is up and I still never received a key. A guy who looked like a manager told me that I should ask the girl at the front desk to make me a key because it was now working and that he had made keys earlier on in the day. I get to the front desk and the girl says it's still not working. Is there some kind of miscommunication going on or something? Having no key was just a hassle.

I stayed in a four person dorm on one of the top bunks. Whose idea was it to put a light so close to the ladder? Every time I climbed up the ladder to my bed I would knock the light - a bit dangerous (room 105). The bathrooms were tiny and whenever I had a warm shower I had to get a towel to turn off the hot water tap because it was extremely hot.

The fruit and orange juice at breakfast was great.

The outdoor area, pool, ping pong tables and bars were awesome. A great way to interact.

Oh and the beds were extremely comfortable and had a lot of privacy!!

Room Tip: Try to not get a room on the bottom level. I was in room 105 and I could always hear people out in t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CarlaLouise1992
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback – we are sorry about the inconvenience with our room keys during your stay! Please reach out to us directly at info.miami@thefreehand.com and allow us to make it up to you!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

You’re already in Miami Beach and things get better!

Tiki bar, ping pong tables next to the pool, wishing well and the Broken Shaker Bar’s "Knight in Shining Armor" awaits you at the retro-feel-with-hip-vibe back patio and lounge. Clean bunk in quad with plugs to charge the utmost hi-tech companions; clean bathroom (though piping could use a bit of work) and plenty of towels (ask for more at the reception desk if your earlier-arrival roomies “borrowed” yours from your designated locker) and drinking water available; breakfast is OK to fuel the bike rides and kitesurfing!

Efficient, effective and friendly staff ready to assist the most weary of travelers without gushing about the ArtDeco ambience of the main lounge: table games, lending library, activities boards and plenty of seating areas to accommodate awaiting friends, family or in-line skaters going by.

You’re in Miami Beach!! All amenities are close or within public transportation – or citi bike – reach.

For the price, the location, the company and accommodations: 5-stars! Piping, roomies that take up most available space (everywhere!) and lack of non-fried pastries and cereals at breakfast: 1 "improvement" star reserved.

Experience to believe. :)

Room Tip: I saw the private rooms and it seems to me that the quads on the 2nd and 3rd floor are quieter. If...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Not the type of hotel I am used to, however for the price you get good value. Yes, it's a hostel however you can get a private room for a little more money. I stayed in a private room. It was very clean and hip. The bathroom was not shared, but extremely small.
Staff was nice. About a 10-15 minute walk to the confusion of south beach.
Only real complaint was the noise at night. You can hear everything in the room next door/hallway and street. AND people are NOT quiet in hostels! Woke up several times during the night; from screaming in the hallway, to people in the next room shattering, to cars revving under my window. This was a bit of a downer because I spent extra for the peace and quiet of a single room.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business