“Beautiful place, just needs a little more love.”
Review of Freehand Miami

Freehand Miami
Reviewed 16 July 2014

For a hostel, this place was decent, modern, semi-clean and safe. There are just a few things that I do not think travelers should have to overlook no matter where they are staying. The plumbing was awful in our dorm. The shower was clogged from the moment we took our first shower and we had to shower in shin deep water. Not to mention water was pooling behind our toilet, which to me looked like it was due to a bad seal or wax ring, this left the entire bathroom floor soaked during our whole visit. This was reported to the front desk twice, where they told us somebody would be up to have a look. We waited, and waited and waited, both times, and just left. The issues remained the same both evenings we came back after "maintenance would be right up." Obviously, maintenance never came. Also, when inspecting our bunks for bedbugs, we did find translucent baby termites on the bottom bunks under the mattresses crawling around the wood. They of course do not really bother you, just kind of creeps you out. Having coffee and cereal out in their backyard, was worth the troubles. It was beautiful out there and was taken care of very nicely by very pleasant grounds men. The front office staff could put a little more love into their space though. The calendar on the wall was out dated, as well as flyers for events they had up. A beautiful space, just needs the right attention to detail to make it shine a bit more.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank tradedsmiles
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to review us! We appreciate your feedback. Come back to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed for 6 nights at the beginning of my backpacking adventure alone! It's difficult to meet fellow backpackers in this hostel, however I think that's miami in general. The broken shaker bar is full of local hipsters, the tables have reserved signs on them from 4pm onwards making hostel guests feel a little unwelcome. However this is from a lone female backpackers point of view. If you are looking for a hostel with great facilities and good price then it's great! But if you want to meet fellow travellers and feel at home ... I would avoid the freehand... Actually I would avoid miami...

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Wanderlust1234567
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a 4-bunk room which was quite comfortable. The front desk staff were very nice, quite helpful and willing to make adjustments to my booking. Good location and clean environment. However, the bathtub in my room wasn't cleaned in the 6 nights I was there and the drain was slightly blocked so I sometimes had to stand in a pool of water. Made a report at the front desk but nothing was done. Breakfast is mainly cereal with overly diluted milk, bananas/ muffins, tea or coffee. Overall, it was a good place to stay and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Simi O
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Upon arrival we were served by Ricky, she was fantastic and helped us through a very fast check-in as we were very tired upon arriving late. The room was very spacious and clean.

Overall the property is very well maintained and there are little touches everywhere that show a lot of thought was put into making a better experience.

I would recommend the private rooms for couples and the quad rooms for singles. Couple minutes from the beach and local restaurants with affordable local cuisine.

My only advice for travelers would be to stay away from the beach after dark however in the shopping and restaurant district on Lincoln Rd everything stays open until midnight!

Room Tip: Ask for a high Floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank newmooon_2016
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback - we are glad you had a great experience at the Freehand! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Clean place, extremely friendly staff who are happy to help! Reasonable price and ridiculously close to the beach and a 10 minute walk to Lincoln road with all the bars, shops and restaurants! Would happily stay here again!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Damien D

Hi,

Thanks for the review! Come back to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed here for five nights and it was a fantastic base for exploring Miami. The rooms were very clean and a good size, although the bathroom was quite small. The room overlooked Indian Creek Drive but there was no noise either during the day or at night. The air conditioning was on very high though, which sometimes made it difficult to sleep. It has a great pool, bar and lounge where it's easy to be as sociable or private as you want. The place has a lot of character, which the staff add to. It would have been nice to stay a bit closer to the bars and shops in South Beach, which were a five to ten minute walk away, but if I come back to Miami then I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed for 10 nights on my way from Orlando to Mexico - I booked and paid online. What initially won me over was the presentation of the rooms and the Broken Shaker cocktail bar out the back ! It looks like a magical place, and is visited by a variety of locals and non locals. Breakfast is provided, many tours pick up and drop off there, the beach is a quick 3 minute walk. There is a supermarket, beautician, Italian restaurant, takeaway, and subway within a 1 minute radius. South Beach is approximately 15 blocks south and easily walkable - there are also buses around the local area. The staff were friendly and helpful, the cleaners were lovely and I had a private room with my own bathroom and Cable TV - winning !!! The aircon was a lifesaver and I met some great people there. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I chose a private room, but I met a girl who was sharing with three other ladies in a 4 person room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Liesl B
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Hi there,

Thanks for reviewing our property! We're glad you had a great stay at the Freehand!