“Kent hotel very good value a block from Ocean Drive” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Kent Hotel

The Kent Hotel
Ranked #127 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago
“Kent hotel very good value a block from Ocean Drive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

I've been staying at this hotel for many years. Learned a long time ago that it's best to be 1 block from Ocean Drive, or sometimes you don't get any sleep when you want to. You see hotels on Ocean Drive have loud music sometimes very late. The Kent is quiet and close enough to the action. Rooms are small, but so are most in the Deco hotels. This trip came as a walk in late at night for two rooms. They were able to put two together, but it took them a while. Place had run down a bit from my last stay. Believe it or not, there were some ladies of the night parked in the hallway outside our room. Not sure what was going on, but they seemed friendly enough and did not keep us up. Will probably go back but management needs to keep a closer eye on their clientele. Next morning everything was fine. Typical crowd of tourists and families. Great value for the money and friendly staff.

Room Tip: When making a revervation I've asked for the top corner room on the street. What they call a su...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
North Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

We come to Miami every year for the Basel art fair and try different hotels. Disappointed by the Kent - won't be staying here again. Surly staff, no help with bags, housekeeping inconsistent and noisy courtyard bar that plays loud music till 2 am. If your a light sleeper get a room on the third floor and not facing the courtyard - I.e., facing the parking lot. No carpeting in rooms, cheap vinyl flooring - so you can hear the guests upstairs clomping around at all hours. Basic amenities - TV, clock radio, hair dryer, iron/ironing board, mini fridge. Built in furniture but no drawers - you'll be fishing your stuff out of your suitcase during your stay. Valet parking is $20 a day. If you're hard pressed maybe a night or two, otherwise keep looking..

Room Tip: Get room on third floor facing north/parking lot.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Eddie N, General Manager at The Kent Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Guest, let me apologize for the noise you encountered at the property, there are many events that take place during Art Basel both at the property and the surrounding area which can contribute more noise than would be acceptable for some guests. Our property is a small boutique hotel, so we do not have the manpower some other large properties can provide, we do not have a bellman on site to help clients with bags, but all of our staff, housekeeping, engineering, management and even the restaurant staff try to lend a helping hand to our clients with their belongings whenever we can, we clearly dropped the ball when it came to you, for that we are very sorry. We do not have carpeting in our rooms as you mentioned, but I doubt that would help much with limiting noise from loud guests walking around as the building itself was constructed in the 1930's and advances in construction from then to now have made huge leaps. If you would like to speak to me in detail about your stay I urge you to contact me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I had such high hopes staying here when I checked in and got upgraded to their "suite." The Orchid I think it was called constantly smelled like weed and the tub did not work. Honestly, I did not complain since technically we had gotten what seemed like a free upgrade. Staff was not the best at all. Completely unprofessional. Overall this was a 3 star stay I would have rated. HOWEVER, three days ago I received a ticket in the mail saying I had an overdue citation and an additional penalty was added on top of the ticket that I had no idea I had gotten. I had my car valet by them all weekend so I did not understand why I had gotten a ticket. Not only did they illegally park my car, they also threw away the ticket they had gotten so I would not have known. The ticket turned out to be at at 1100 Collins ave.... Will you look at that, right next to their address.... I'm thankful I was able to talk to the court office and have my late fee removed. I still had to pay the original ticket price. which on top of their valet fee, turned out to be more than double if I would have payed to stay at a garage. Just spend the extra 30$ and stay at a better place. If you decided you can't pass up staying here, DO NOT VALET YOUR CAR WITH THEM. You've been warned.

Room Tip: Just pay the 10-30$ extra and stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Daniel B
Dear Daniel, I'm very sorry about the ticket which you received - I'm surprised you did not contact the hotel before you decided to leave this negative review, had you done so, we would have asked you to send us a copy of the ticket and late fee and we would have taken care of it for you. The Valet service here at the hotel is provided by an outside company, it is not the hotel directly that parks your car, nor did we throw out the ticket hoping that you would not notice, that would be flawed logic since it is recorded on your tag and you will find out eventually (which you did) - not to mention the cost to the hotel would be less since we would take care of the ticket before late fees are charged. So you know, this is not the first time that a car has been parked at our Valet ramp and the City (for whatever reason) decides to give it a ticket, even though the ramp on the building is a loading zone designed for that specific purpose. Even though you have already posted an extremely negative remark without even giving us the opportunity to correct the issue when it happened, I urge you to contact me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 or at sales@thekenthotel.com in order for us to reimburse you the cost of your ticket, your car was under the supervision of the Valet company and you should not be forced to pay out of pocket costs for an offence that you did not commit, it is not fair to you and we understand that, we will pass on this cost to the Valet company should you heed my advice and contact me. As a tip for the future, whether you are upgraded or not, if you have an issue at a hotel with your room (or a parking ticket for that matter) you should voice those concerns to staff/management, most likely we would have had your tub fixed right away had there been an issue with it, and as mentioned we would have taken care of your ticket as well, an option which still remains on the table for you.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I found this hotel through Groupon, the hotel is located in a great area, just behind Versace's mansion (where he got killed)...
I was kind of dissapointed on a few stuff, first we were told there were 2 rooms under my name, some how groupon messed up the reservations, the good thing was that we weren't double charged, it got fixed up, but the guy made it sound like a big deal... when we first go there was 10am the check in was at 4pm, so the staff told us we could get a room earlier but l had to call him to check on the status of the room, we left the bags and we came back at 12 and there was no room, they only had 1 staff working and a few people waiting on different things, what annoyed me was that he gave rooms to other people but not to us, cuz he couldn't check if there was any clean room available since we has busy... we came back at 3pm to check if there was any clean room, we lined up to be helped and the guy (a new one) was helping 3 people at the same time, was kind of annoying waiting for like 20 min just to get an answer... we finally got helped, and went upstairs to the room, the elevator is probabaly from the 50's very scary... the room was clean, in general the building is very old like most of miami's hotels..
at night it's very loud, its located next to a parking lot so you will get lots of people screaming, the room has some kind of renovations done, the furniture it's okay, it has hardwood floors which makes it loud when people on the floor upstairs walk... the bathroom is kind of cool, however the shower leaks from the ceiling which l found very funny they didn't install it propertly, the bathroom door didn't close l think they painted it too much and it gets stuck on the door frame, same with the entrance door, it has a safe, hair dryer, flat tv aprox 32".. then when we went to check out they mixed up our room with someone elses and we got a bill of 300 dlls!! crazy l almost freaked out and then they got it fixed...
also they have a restaurant outside and they offer 25% off to guest, however the hostess doesn't speak a word of english, oh wait.. all she says is: "specials" and pointing at the pictures, but you actually ask something to her and she has no clue what to say but to point at the specials pictures ahahah l found this very funny, we had to go somewhere's else...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, I'm very sorry for the wait you encountered at the Front Desk - it is true we only have one employee at the reception desk at all times, sometimes things get extremely busy and they are forced to multi-task while helping numerous people, when management is around and we see guests waiting at the desk we help man the reception area so guests do not wait too long, it seems this was an option during your check-in. Typically at night the hotel is not too loud to be honest, our windows do a good job of limiting the noise that enters the property, since so much of our area is known for nightlife I am sure there are many instances when the rowdiness from outside the building negatively affects our clients, which it did so in your case. It was good to read that at least the issues with the double booking and the incorrect bill that was given to you was swiftly corrected, unfortunately that is not enough to make up for your other complaints. If you would like to go into detail with me regarding your stay I would urge you to contact, we always want to hear from our clients whether it is good or bad as we strive to correct the mistakes we make so that we can provide a better experience in the future. Please reach me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 or email me at sales@thekenthotel.com
Guatemala City, Guatemala, Guatemala
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

The people in the front desk and almost all employees don't seem to be at your services.
The day that I arrived, nobody help me or my wife to carry the luggage, it was the same the day I check-out.

The standard room is very small, the door of the bathroom crash against the toilet, and is very small too.

For been in such touristic area, the customer service sucks.

The bathroom and room were very clean at least.

Try to improve you personal for customer service.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, try to rent the bigger rooms, the standars are very small.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Oscar, I'm very sorry that we could not help you or your wife with your bags - I hope this was the only issue you had with staff as it was the only thing mentioned - it is a concern though as we typically get rave reviews about our employees, you can read the reviews and determine that yourself. We do not have a bellman to provide luggage service, so our staff tends to try to help anyone they can when they are not busy and see guests struggling with a large amount of luggage. The bathrooms in the property are not very big, but it is standard size for a hotel to be honest. Our rooms are slightly large than what you would expect from most hotels in the area. I truly wish we could do something to make it up to you, so if you would like to contact me please do so as I like to hear from all our clients whether its good or bad. You can contact me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 or email me at sales@thekenthotel.com
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

The room was clean but dated. We went for the advertised breakfast at $ 5.99. After we received our drinks we were told that the $ 5.99 breakfast was a mistake & it should be € 10.99, we objected to this & then price was reduced to $ 5.99. Needless to say our service we received diminished as a result. Please be up front with people & stop trying to dupe them.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, I'm surprised to read this as I do not know of a special at the restaurant for $5.99, I do know they offer our clients a full breakfast for $9.95, so this might have been an honest mistake on their part, they did the right thing by given you the incorrectly posted price on their specials board, but the service should not have diminished, if anything you should be thanked for pointing out the mistake so it does not occur with other guests, please accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of the restaurant, they are not directly managed or owned by the hotel but they always treat our guests with the utmost respect, so I will show the restaurant owners this review so that they are aware if they haven't been informed already. Once again, I apologize for the confusion, I hope your stay was not ruined because of this.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Me and some friends stayed at the Kent back in 2011 and loved it - the staff were great, the adjacent bar was pumping and the location is hard to beat for the price!
So when we planned another trip to Miami we went straight to the Kent's site to book here again, and brought several of our other friends to stay there too.
However I felt a little disappointed after this stay, compared to the first. The construction going on outside is a pain however I know this isn't the hotels fault so can overlook that. However the construction happening inside the hotel was loud and started too early for a holiday destination where a lot of people stay out late and would like to sleep in past 8.30am! The rooms were being renovated last trip so how they are not all completed in 2 years I don't know! Our room (level 2) was older with a very mouldy bathroom yet our friends had a lovely renovated room on level 3.
We know the Kent isnt 5 star and generally were ok with the rooms but it was the staffs lack of friendliness that killed the hotel for us this time! A few old timers were still there and they were great but the new staff were rude and unhelpful, got angry when we had to keep getting new keys cos they stopped working (trust me, we didnt want to have to keep going up to our room only to find we couldnt open the door either), and gave us completely wrong information about tours and local attractions.
The restaurant & bar that we loved before has now changed hands and wasnt open a single morning we were there even though they have a breakfast menu and are supposed to open at 8am.
And we werent really given any appreciation or thanks for being repeat customers.
So even though the location, value and rooms are still pretty good, I'd think twice before staying here or recommending the Kent if Im ever in Miami again.

Room Tip: Level 3 rooms are newly renovated, level 2 ones aren't.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank shannatic
Dear Shanatic, I felt horrible reading your review, specifically because you trusted us to provide you with a similar experience from your last go-round and it seems that we literally dropped the ball with you and your friends, and you are coming all the way from Australia!!. It is a horrible coincidence that both times you stayed with us there was some type of renovation going on, we do not renovate all year round, we typically wait for our low season (June through November) to do any big projects, this year we renovated all of the bathrooms in the second floor and we will most likely follow suit next year on the first floor. I'm very interested in speaking to you in person, as I would like to gather some details on your stay, as there are several things that concern me which you mentioned. We do not allow contractors to start work prior to 9 A.M., so that should have never happened - also any employee that seemed "angry" with a guest over any issue needs to be spoken with, so I would urge to contact me as I would like your help in figuring out whom that was. Please contact me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 or via email at sales@thekenthotel.com - we would like to keep you coming back as a repeat guest, and I think special considerations should be given to you because you are a repeat customer - please contact me if you can!