“Great location”
Review of The Kent Hotel

The Kent Hotel
Ranked #96 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My wife and I had to get away from the frozen wasteland that is Ohio this time of year, so we went to Florida for a week. The Kent Hotel was chosen, because we could bring our Standard Poodle. The first impression was a disappointment. They said they had Valet parking, so it was a bit of a surprise that they had no Bellhops. My wife packed a good percentage of her wardrobe, so it was fun lugging everything in. Then we went up an elevator that was an antique. It banged and scraped all the way up to the second floor. When my wife saw the hallway, she started to cry. It'd been a long trip, and she could only imagine what the suite looked like. But the tears were wasted, because the room was very nice. Since we had our dog, Star, along, the hardwood floor was appreciated. (Although I don't know when it was swept last!)
It's a funky, old, Art Deco style hotel that's a short block off Ocean Blvd and the beach. We slept well the first night, but were awakened very early by a whistling broken water pipe valve from the next room. And were awakened early again by noisy people upstairs. Very annoying.
Don't eat at the hotel restaurant. The food seemed right out of the Frozen Food section of the grocery store, and the drinks were small and almost devoid of spirits. But it was a lively place later in the week. You could smell the pot smoke a mile away.
But we did have fun. The closeness to Ocean Blvd was very nice. If you want dinner and a drink, a few short steps makes all the difference. We loved the Mia Bella Roma.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed there on 1/18/14 with some friends, before a cruise. Had never really done South Beach. THIS IS THE PLACE. Right at ground zero, everything within a block or two. Can't beat it for the price. Older building but super cool South Beach renovation, I'd give em 4 stars instead of 3. Great open air tiki type bar/restaurant adjoining. I'm 100% real from Cincinnati.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, you might just get hooked up with a suite. We did!
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I wish I could say something good about this place, but I cant. There was a guy outside the hotel that asked to take my luggage, but I declined because he didn't have on a uniform-so I'm unsure if he was trying to steal my luggage or if he actually worked there. I didn't bother to even pull back the covers so I just slept on top of the covers. The hotel must have a really good photographer because it looks nicer online than in person. We were supposed to stay 3 nights, but only stayed 1 and went to the Cardoza. I left my jacket here trying to check out in a hurry. So I went back to the room to find it. To my shocking surprise, room service had already stripped the bed and there were BED BUGS all over the sheets!!! Just pay a few extra dollars and find somewhere sanitary.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Wendy B
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Nothing fancy about the rooms but very clean, comfortable beds, which is most important.Rating could be average but price was good compared to other hotels and rooms were clean. We also had a fridge,flat screen, ice bucket and wine bottle cork remover. Plentiful clean white towels, air condition needs to be cleaned though, kinda musty when first turned on and can see vent needed cleaning. Great location. Carlos at front desk nice, funny. Luis helpful also, and Cynthia from housekeeping very nice, gave us beach towels which I did not know were available and showed us suites. Heard guys arguing/fighting one night, went on for quite awhile and when we mentioned it at the front desk (we were on the third floor by the elevator) the next day they apologized and said we should have called them about it, we should have but was late, we were tired and had door locked. I originally selected one night dinner online, it sounded good, when making my reservation, the middle level, $80 for two people, but was not charged for it so we decided to wing it elsewhere. We were charged for the breakfast I ordered online however, and website said it was normally $15 but if reserved and a hotel guest it was $10. Sign outside restaurant advertised breakfast for $9.95 for anyone off the street and hash browns were supposed to be part of it which they did not have, so two eggs, 1 piece of bacon and 1 sausage link and piece of white toast, no juice...NOT worth it. My friend got hers refunded because she can eat potatoes but not wheat (toast). Also late one night I went downstairs to the soda machine and wanted a diet soda but there were none so I went the bar and asked for one. Waitress went up to talk to a guy at bar (manager?) then came back to me, filled up a very small glass full of ice and before filling it told me four dollars! Really? Ridiculous... for a few sips of soda and to a hotel guest when the machine is a dollar? Forget it, went to the 24 hour market directly across the street and could anything I wanted to eat or snack on. I understand the online meal ordering is a new thing, staff an little unclear about it.

Room Tip: Suites looked pretty nice, I noticed a microwave in the one with the king bed but I don't think...
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The hotel has no serious problems nor anything really great. We stayed there in July 2012. The room was clean and staff were polite. The best thing about it is that you can walk to the beach, Ocean Drive, local shops, restaurants and nightlife.

Room Tip: I would not stay on ground floor, because of the noise from the lobby and street.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed one night and did not want to come back. The staff at reception was not friendly, the bed sheets did not look fresh - there were some hairs and traces of makeup on the pillow. Breakfast not included. The only good side of this hotel is location, right next to the beach. Service is poor.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We were looking for a place to overnight in South Beach on New Year's day, and needless to say many of the properties on the beach were outrageously priced. The Kent offered a premium location, plus valet parking. The room wasn't horrible by any means...we were given an upgrade to a suite. However the suite we were given wasn't upgraded (like the ones shown on the website)...and the two really bad things about it that ruined our experience here: No hot water in the shower...we let it run for a while...and nothing. There was hot water in the sink though, just not in the shower.

Lastly, our room #308 was not on the Collins side of the building...but the alley. Not sure why but from 4am and at various other times throughout the morning...there were garbage trucks picking up recyclables and trash and they were VERY loud. While the hotel may have little control over this...the noise/sound insulation in the windows was non-existent...felt like our windows were open...we should have brought ear plugs.