“Exceeded my expectations!”

Ranked #119 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Greenfield, Indiana
“Exceeded my expectations!”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Honestly, after reading review upon review of hotels in South Beach leading up to my April vacation, I was really starting to think I wouldn't find anything satisfactory in the price range my group was looking for... eventually I just sucked it up and book the Kent Hotel expecting the bare minimum but also being okay with that. We were just a group of 20-somethings that needed a place to sleep with minimal amenities anyway. After arriving to the hotel, I was happy to see that many of the things I had read in the reviews were not a bother for us. The main lobby was fine, no bugs, rooms were cleaned very well daily, front desk staff and the cleaning staff were also very friendly. Our group's only very MINOR complaints would be that the rooms didn't have microwaves (which we could obviously manage around), that twice a staff member entered our room while we were sitting in there and they never knocked or announced themselves, not very many outlets in the room due to it being an old building, and the strong odor of marijuana on the second floor on several occasions. Like I said, we dealt with all of these things and none of them ruined our trip. The kindness of the staff outweighed any of the negatives. It was in a great location, close to everything, we pretty much walked everywhere, and when we did request our car from the valet service that we used at our hotel, we never waited longer than about 15 minutes for the car. If I ever make it to Miami again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: When we checked in, we were told that we got a room on the quiet side (which I suppose was good). W...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Casey G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Miami
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Hotel was booked via booking.com which is the site I prefer to book from because they always seem to have good deals.

I'm a Miami resident so I was expecting the typical rudeness of miami customer service but I was pleasantly surprised. Gentleman at the front desk was courteous and checked me in within minutes.

The room was very clean with wooden floors. Dual sinks in bathroom was a plus including the bathtub/Jacuzzi.

Front desk was usually nice whenever I called. Only problem I had with front desk was that the gentleman couldn't explain to me how to operate the room safe. He insisted that the instructions were on the door of the safe which wasn't true.

Other drawback to this hotel is the fact the ice machine is located on the first floor. Hallways are very hot but the a/c in the rooms work great.

Clearly the location of this hotel was good. Not easy to catch a cab due to road construction in front of hotel.

I would stay here again and I would recommend this place to friends. Hopefully you'll enjoy your stay should you decide to go to this place.

• Stayed April 2014
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I spent three nights at the Kent with my girlfriend in late March 2014 and in spite of some initial worries based on comments I had read here, I enjoyed my stay at this unassuming art deco hotel in the heart of South Beach. I wanted to walk through a few of the key items that other reviewers have raised:

1. Location - If your key criteria is having a central location to take in the full insanity of the South Beach experience, this is your place. You're no more than a few blocks away from the beach, good restaurants, and an intense party scene which affords you the opportunity for hilarious people watching (serious bro safari potential here).

Taxis avoid Collins Ave. because of construction, so you'll have better luck walking a block over to Washington Ave. to grab a cab.

2. Noise - I have to preface this by reiterating that this hotel is centrally located in the bro-tastic South Beach party scene, and I inadvertently booked my trip for the same weekend as the Ultra Music Festival. I didn't find the Kent uncharacteristically compared to the rest of the area, but if you're looking for a peaceful, low-key family retreat, you're looking in the wrong part of Miami Beach entirely. The whole area is pretty loud.

As for the Kent specifically, there is a restaurant next door that plays music from the morning until late at night. Volume and hours seem to vary depending on the day. I woke up on a Friday morning to Miley Cyrus blaring at 0830, but the next morning, there was utter quiet until another group of guests started shouting in the hallway in front of door. The A/C units also sound like a rocket engine firing when they spin up. I'm not too many years out of college, so I wasn't phased by much of this; however, if you're sensitive to noise, this isn't the greatest place.

3. Rooms/Cleanliness - Very simple, smaller rooms with few many frills. The rooms were clean, and I had none of the issues described by other guests with dirty sheets, plastic mattress covers, dirty windows, etc. The water pressure in the shower was good, bathroom was clean, and the mattress reasonably comfortable. The shades in our room (112) kept the room incredibly dark when we pulled them. The view from our room was less than impressive, facing the entrance to the bathroom of the restaurant next door. Be prepared for the occasional

4. Staff - I didn't get the same sense of unfriendliness from the concierge staff that many others have mentioned. I had a really pleasant conversation with a gentleman with a tattoo sleeve when I arrived late on a Thursday night, and the other folks at the desk were perfectly helpful and accommodating. You certainly won't get lots of smiles and feigned interest that you see at major hotel brands, but they're completely respectful and professional. Serious props are due to the maid/cleaning staff for leaving us lots of extra lotion when they saw my girlfriend's sunburned back.

1 Thank js4976
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The hotel IS art deco which we wanted, and our overall experience was good. No complaints,.... however the front desk staff ( two men sharing shifts) are anything but warm and friendly.No smiles or welcoming, or parting warmth in the least. Just information if you ask. There is a 20.00/day valet parking fee, and the car is parked 10 blocks away, so have all you need with you. You CAN get it as many times as you want though for the same price. Otherwise PERFECT location! There were LOUD people in the hallway all night, so NO sleep, but we were there at spring break. Go figure. I recommend this hotel, but don't expect any smiles or friendliness in the least. Shame really! I say if you don't like the service industry.....best to pack it up!

Roseville, Michigan
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Some friends and myself stayed four nights here (march 2014) - Staff was great with us, no complaints! Super location, 11th / Collins Ave.. a block from the beach. Lobby smells fantastic. Although small, our rooms were neat and clean -- and cold! A/C worked great. Only a closet to hang your clothes, so expect to keep your foldables in your suitcase.. Only "complaint" would be the cafe' due to it's price for the meek meals.. but there is Dave's a block away for that! Anyone complaining about noise; it's south beach! 2 thumbs up Kent Staff!

Room Tip: Bring your sun tan lotion and prepare to stay an extra few days!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My wife and I stayed 2 nites march16th and 17th. So much potential but the rooms are not good. Bare essentials only. Windows looking out onto collins Avenue were coated in dirt. Beds mattress was covered in plastic. It felt like we were sleeping on a giant diaper. It had a snapping sound when you would move. The bed was very uncomfortable. The toliet paper holder was loose on the wall and the paper roll would fall off the handle. No decent ventilation in room. For the money we paid, it was worse than unsatisfactory. They let homeless people come in and sleep on the couches in the lobby and charge there phones and use the computer. The lobby looks nothing like the pictures in the ad. The pluses were this. The staff was decent and the breakfast was ok. However, they charge for each cup of coffee you drink... Its not a good Hotel.

1 Thank AnthonyD64

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel is in agreat area for walking to all the different areas of Miami beach. Close to the beach ,ocean blvd, and shopping . The hotel is very basic, it has very little atmosphere in the rooms. Our bathroom was renovated , but it was the worst shower I have ever used. Water was luke warm at best with very little pressure. Chose not to shower on check out day because it was so bad! Room was clean, and front desk staff friendly enough.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family