“Absolutley Lovely Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #72 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“Absolutley Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

I recently spent one night at the Tides in one of their smaller ocean front suites. Overall, a lovely experience, from check in to check out, everything was perfect. I was even offered a welcome drink on their patio.

The location of the hotel is simply the best on Ocean Drive, with views to match. The room was large, immaculate and simply beautiful. Nice bathroom, but with a combined shower and tub. If you book one of these suites, try to request one with a corner window--that adds to the already great view.

The hotel lobby was smaller than I had expected and the pool area was also small, but then, you have the ocean a few steps from the hotel. You also get complimentary beach chairs and umbrellas on the beach.

It's obviously not a cheap hotel, but worth the cost. Five stars all around.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a corner window.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager_Tides, Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, 2 July 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing such encouraging feedback on your recent stay at The Tides.

I am truly pleased to know we provided you with a comfortable stay from start to finish and that you enjoyed your Tides Royale welcome drink on the terrace at La Marea.

I hope to welcome you back at The Tides in the near future and remain at your service.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

We stayed there for 3 nights Easter 2011.
The rooms and bathrooms are huge with very nice deco. I have to say our room was quite noisy but nothing related to the noise outside on the street but to very very noisy neighbours that kept on slamming their door.

The swimming pool is perfect for proper swimming after a hot long day at the beach. There is a bar there and you can order drinks but also food as well.
The beach is just across the street and they sunbeds on the beach are included in the price of the room.

The price is very reasonable. The hotel is probably not as trendy as The Mondrian but its excellent rooms, service and location make it a fantastic place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Tides during Easter holiday.

I am pleased to know you enjoyed our pool and beach service. My team and I are proud to have made your holiday stay a memorable one.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

4th time in Miami. 1st time at The Tides.

I would return to The Tides when I am next in Miami. No question. Can't wait to go back.

It is where all the action is. Great fun and an intoxicating vibrant place to go. Just walk outside the hotel and its all going on. Very pozz.

Great service, wonderful rooms (we had an Ocean faceing suite) and a lot bigger than the other hotel rooms I have stayed in SoBe, which was a nice surprise.

Didnt use the pool/other facilities - too busy shopping! Oh didnt we just. Ouch!

Best Mall: Dolphin Mall

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Tides.

I am glad you enjoyed the lively ocean Drive atmosphere. Our terrace at La Marea is certainly the perfect setting to enjoy our signature Tides Royale.

I look forward to seeing you again in the near future and remain at your service.

North Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

My husband and I stayed three nights. My expectations were very high because of the #1 ranking on TripAdvisor. The service was impeccable. The staff anticipated your needs.
Our ocean view room was much larger than I expected. The complimentary chaise lounges and beach umbrella in addition to beach towels made our visits to the beach delightful.
We definitely enjoyed having complimentary coffee and croissants to start our mornings on a right note. Although we did not have dinner at The Tides, we did have two lunches. The food was nicely done, fairly priced and served well. We would certainly return to the Tides!

5 Thank LIMCN
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your most encouraging comments on your recent stay at The Tides.

We certainly strive to provide a consistent guest experience and the title of your posting is truly gratifying. The team at our restaurant, La Marea, is glad you enjoyed our latest lunch menu and hope you join us next time for dinner.

Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

We stayed at the Tides Hotel for 2 nights. Everything regarding this hotel was excellent. Courteous staff,beautiful rooms & centrally located on ocean drive. They made our anniversary trip special by offering us a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine!

1 Thank RahulC
GeneralManager_Tides, Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
Dear valued guest,

It is great to know your Anniversary stay at The Tides was a remarkable one. My team is thrilled to have been a part of your memory.

I look forward to welcoming you back for many special occasions to come and remain at your service.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

Wow...you've won us over Tides! 3 of us couples decided to do a weekend in Miami following a cruise and were impressed with this property from start to finish. We all are world travelers and usually stay at the best properties when traveling, and, with that said, the Tides rivals any of these other properties as the top hotel we've stayed at. The rooms and hotel are gorgeous. Each room is HUGE and has beautiful and unique furnishings, so refreshingly different from your usual cookie cutter upscale hotel chain. I believe all rooms have a view of the ocean, and this isn't some view you have to strain to see.

The staff were OUTSTANDING; friendly, attentive to every detail, accommodating to any request, and even called us by name throughout our stay. The staff brought up welcome martinis when arriving, and were excellent about welcoming us and bidding us a good day when arriving and leaving the hotel. The housekeeping staff did an impeccable cleaning job (I had to enter the room when they were at work and they were not aware of my presence and I observed them on their hands and knees scrubbing the toilet - impressive!) The rooms were sufficiently quiet in the morning/afternoon/evening, especially given the PERFECT location in the heart of everything. The beds were comfortable, the iphone/ipod double-docks in each room were especially nice, and the water pressure was great. Although we didn't visit the pool, it was beautiful and quite quiet and relaxing. They also offer free beach chairs and an umbrella for each room out on the beach, which is just a few steps from the front of the hotel.

The food/drinks at the terrace in front of the hotel were EXCELLENT, as well, and it served as a great place to meet friends and people watch. They had a dj with downtempo electronic/lounge music each night, which proved to create an excellent ambiance for drinks and appetizers. The location of the hotel could not have been better...it's directly on Ocean Drive, close to the beach, Lincoln Ave., and lots of great restaurants and shops.

I have nothing but praise for this place, and we'll definitely be staying ONLY at this hotel the next time we are in Miami...it is well worth the price.

Keep up the outstanding service and attention to detail Tides!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank brickbark
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your most candid comments on your recent stay at The Tides.

My team and I are proud to have been a part of your memorable experience. My colleagues in housekeeping are particularly humbled by the impression their efforts left on you. The team at our restaurant, La Marea, is also pleased by your feedback and hope you enjoy the new additions to our dining experience on your next visit.

Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

I stayed at The Tides from May 24th - May 26th. I stayed in a Studio Suite, which would be their most standard room, but it felt all but standard, it felt like I got an upgrade, even though I hadn't actually got one. The room was a corner suite with the most incredible views of Ocean Drive and the Atlantic Ocean from the 5th floor, windows opened fully onto Ocean Drive, amazing! The room is B.I.G.! Very comfortable bed, walk-in closet, very nicely appointed minibar, amazing bathroom and iPod docking station and complimentary Nespresso machine, the room felt luxurious and oozed style.

The whole hotel had an airy, calm and soothing feeling to it. Every corridor, walkway or open spaced had a distinct and very "luxurious" actual scent/smell to it. The staff was very friendly and polite, they remember my name every single time. The Valet is the most efficient and quickest Valet I have ever experienced and trust me, I've experienced a LOT of horrible Valet's in my time; but The Tides, top notch!

But with some good reviews, there are also some bad ones unfortunately. I had breakfast with 2 friends at La Marea Terrace which faces Ocean Drive. The feel, look and sheer location of this restaurant is incredible. We all had various dishes from the a la carte breakfast menu. The real downside was the portion size and quality compared to the $92 I paid! $92 for breakfast!!!! It was no way up to par, compared to the prize paid. That is a serious mishap and it should be looked at. I felt embarrassed on my friends behalf, because I was staying there and had raved so much about this place and to them it was just a real disappointment.

On my last evening, something happened, which should never ever happen at ANY hotel. A room key to my room was handed over to one of my friends, because he came by to visit me. He actually told the reception clerk that he was here to see me and was asked if he needed a key to the room! My friend is a bit of a joker and said sure why not, but really he was testing the hotel, because he's seen this happen before at other South Beach properties. He then came to my room, let himself in and "scared" the living daylight out of me. What my friend did is fine, I know him, he was only joking. But what the hotel did, is unacceptable. A hotel should never hand out room keys to strangers at the front desk, it could be anyone, even if it is the ex-wife, a friend, a family member, it could be anyone who wanted to harm another hotel guest, it is a serious matter. I spoke to a friend of mine who is the Director of Sales & Marketing for all the W hotels in the US and he said, it would be grounds for instant dismissal if that ever happened at any of his hotels, I am sorry, but I care to agree with my friend.

I will also say, that I have taken this up with management at The Tides after my stay, gotten a formal apology and was refunded the breakfast cost from La Marea Terrace, I haven't decided totally, if I think that is enough, as I think it sticks deeper than that. Also I don't actually know if any disciplinary action was taken against the employee responsible for this incident. All I know is, personally, had this happened with one of my employees, he or she would be looking elsewhere for a new job.

On a bright note; The stay was very good. Apart from the incident with the room key, I would actually recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting South Beach. I would also gladly place my money on another Suite at The Tides for one of my future pleasure trips to Miami, because the hotel is so incredible, even with the unfortunate event with the key card, I'd still stay here again, in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kim F
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most helpful comments on your recent stay at The Tides South Beach.

I am pleased to know you enjoyed your suite accommodation and the service provided by my colleagues. I shared your recognition of our valet team and they, as well as myself, are truly honored by your compliment as the valet is one of the most challenging operations on the ever busy Ocean Drive. I also discussed your feedback on your breakfast experience with my colleagues and we are working on ways to enhance our breakfast menu.

I would also like to share with you that we have already addressed the security concern you mentioned and, I assure you, we have since retrained our team on security procedures and I am sure you will notice a difference when you return.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally at (305) 604-5070 when you travels next bring you to Miami and I will be happy to take care of all of your arrangements. In the meantime, I remain at your service.