“Definitely in our Top 3”

The Tides South Beach
Ranked #67 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We stayed at The Tides 29th June 2011 for 4 nights. We were greeted by a member of valet/porter staff, and by the time we reached Reception all the staff were aware of our names which was a really nice touch. We had a personal introduction to our room and all the facilities, and were then invited for a courtesy cocktail on the terrace. We were greeted every single time we left and returned to the hotel.
The room was extremely tastefully decorated - the furnishings were gorgeous and everything was in neutral colours. The room was very spacious and had a great seperate dressing area where you could leave suitcases, shoes, etc. out of the way. Also a courtesy coffee machine along with a minibar. Our room was oceanfront so we had a great view. We were on 4th floor and weren't kept awake at night by any noise whatsoever.
We didn't eat at the Hotel as we like to try different breakfast and evening meal venues daily. The Front Porch Cafe, News Cafe and Cafe Pelican were all within a 10-minute walk and were all fantastic for outside breakfast dining on Ocean Drive. Evenings we ate at Espanola Way and The Carlyle.
Residents at The Tides have use of two sunbeds, an umbrella and towels on the beach (all included in tariff). You just wander on over and tell the staff your room number.
We would like to compliment all the staff on their friendly, efficient and courteous manner. In particular we'd like to mention a chap who was coming into work at 6 a.m. the morning we left (3rd July) who very kindly offered to put us together some pastries and drinks for our journey - what a thoughtful thing to do. It would be nice if hotel management could look at shift rotas to find out who he was and give him a personal thank you from the Brits who were moving on to Orlando (I'm sure he'll remember us).
The Tides is an amazing hotel in an amazing city!

Room Tip: Request ocean front
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SP150711
GeneralManager_Tides, Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Dear valued guest,

I am sincerely grateful for the wonderful feedback you shared on your recent stay at The Tides.

I shared your special recognition with my colleague, Terence John, who kindly assisted you on the day of your departure and he is humbled by your praise. It is always nice seeing how personal touches such as this one can so greatly impact our guest experience.

I look forward to your return and remain at your service.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,191)

Reviewed 9 July 2011

We stayed here from June 18 2011 for a week. We stayed in the Premier Oceanfront suite which was beautifully appointed with wonderful views of Ocean Drive and South Beach just across the road.

The staff here were some of the most pleasant, friendly and helpful we have encountered in all our travels. They were outstanding, nothing was too much trouble. In particular we would like to mention Francisco and Ficky. However, all members of staff we encountered were superb. Francisco looked after us during our stay and was so friendly and helpful with a great knowledge of the local area, especially restaurants. He was always happy to accommodate us. Exceptional service from an extremely likeable and friendly person.
South Beach, Ocean Drive, is lively, buzzing and a superb place for night life, if you want to see it or experience it, it certainly happens here.
A wonderful week’s vacation with wonderful places to eat. So many to recommend but don’t miss OLA, RED and Asia de Cuba, to name a few. Perfect service and perfect food.

This hotel and location is one of the best. Once again a big thanks to Francisco and Ficky.

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most encouraging feedback on your recent stay at The Tides South Beach.

I shared your special recognition of my colleagues, Francisco and Ficky, and they are proud to have created a memorable experience for you.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon and remain at your service.

Jorge Gutierrez,

Reviewed 7 July 2011

The hotel is beautiful and rooms are big. But it is disappointing when it comes to service and amenities. The restaurant is very pricy for a not-more-than-average meal. Restaurant was empty and service extremely slow, even to get the bill. We dined there on the first night of our vacation because it was highly recommended by the person who checked us in, but wish we had tried one of the many other well-known restaurants in Miami.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager_Tides, Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2011

Dear valued guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the underwhelming impression you received of our restaurant, La Marea, during your recent stay at The Tides.

I assure you, I have immediately addressed the comments you shared with my management team as part of our continuous efforts to provide a consistent guest experience. I hope you give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us and you have my personal invitation.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally at (305) 604-5070 when your travels next bring you to Miami and it will be my pleasure to take care of all of your arrangements. In the meantime, I look forward to welcoming you back and remain at your service.

Sincerley,

Reviewed 4 July 2011

After a failed attempt to try to confirm our online reservation by phone I left a message and the manager called me back very quickly from Miami (I live in Brazil!) apologizing and saying that they would give us a special treatment upon our arrival. I thought it would be a bottle of champagne with a basket of fruits but they upgraded us to the second most expensive suite! That was a real treat considering what we paid for! The suite was so beautifully decorated, a true Kelly Wearstler experience! I loved the restaurant food, service and atmosphere. The hotel staff was very professional and friendly and the Tides kir cocktail was so delish! This is a really special place for a romantic trip. Highly recommended!!! I'd love to stay there again! We actually stayed there on June 2010.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tulipinha81

Dear valued guest,

I am pleased to know you enjoyed your suite accommodation as well as our signature Tides Royale martini.

My team and I look forward to your next visit and hope it will be even more memorable than the last.

Reviewed 4 July 2011

We stayed there for six days as part of our recent trip to Florida. I was qite excited due to all the reviews of the place I had read prior to heading for the States and the place did not disappoint. Right from the momento of our arrival weere greeted by a very professional and bilingual staff (they immediately switched into Spanish as soon as they saw our passports, even if I addressed them in English) and smiling staff, Registration was swift and everything was properly taken care of by the hotel. The place itself has quite a lot of character, and being architecture buffs we appreciated the fact that we were staying in a 1936 building, the tallest art-deco hotel in the city of Miami Beach; moreover, it's been soundly refurbished and revamped (even if the new decoration can be a bit tedious for some) and it had lots of character overall.

Our room was very big and luminous, with Ocean as well as Collins Avenue views. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable, and it also boasted a sitting area with a comfy couch and a sofa. There was also a dressing-room and the bathroom was very spacious and everything therein was provided for by the hotel. Housekeeping and cleaning standards were superb, as expected.

The whole "coffee to go" idea is remarkable, esp.given that breakfast-inclusive rates are hard to come by in the US and the hotel's location was simply unbeatable. Didn't really try La Marea as, albeit comfy, it looked a bit pretentious for our liking.

Another plus: they provide free chaises and umbrellas on the beach. Given the fact that the daily cost can amount to almost 20 dollars, that is a great detail on the hotel's part.

Minor flaws that, I assume, can easily be solved: the corridor's carpet is a bit worn down and the shower is not as comfy as one might expect, but that might just be my fault as I totally detest fixed shower heads. Some users complain about the fact that the swimming pool is tiny, but who needs a swimming pool when you have a wonderful beach right in front of the hotel? Also, who needs a big gym (another flaw by other reviewers) when you can run, work out or do whatever you want along the beach?

All in all, a great experience.

1  Thank Liilak
GeneralManager_Tides, Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2011

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing you most candid feedback from your recent stay at The Tides.

We are truly fortunate to have such a diverse team of colleagues who are fluent in several languages and can make our guest experience warm and personable. Please note that we are currently working on numerous upgrades to our beautiful property and I am sure you will notice them on your next visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back at The Tides in the near future and remain at your service.

Reviewed 1 July 2011

We stayed at The Tides during Memorial Week-End. We did not know when we booked our stay that we would be there during Urban Beach Week (aka the Hip Hop festival) The hotel staff emailed us a few weeks before our planned stay to let us know that Ocean Drive would be closed to traffic and we should enter the hotel through their back entrance. They also warned us about the noise level and told us to expect crowds.

Despite the crowds and non-stop music, we had a great stay at The Tides. The hotel is very sleek and well-kept and the service was great. Our room had a beautiful view of the beach and we could barely hear the music from the bars and cafes below us.

We had the pleasure of eating at Escopazzo, China Grill, Rosa Mexicano and Fratelli la Buffalo - all thankfully within walking distance as it was impossible to drive anywhere.

I would definitely stay at the The Tides again but not during Memorial Week-End!! Traffic was a nightmare and once outdoors, there was no getting away from the loud music, cars and crowds!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager_Tides, Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2011

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing such encouraging feedback on your recent stay at The Tides during Memorial Weekend.

I am sincerely disheartened to know you did not enjoy the louder-than-usual atmosphere typically experienced during Urban Music Weekend. This is certainly an extremely challenging weekend for us as we strive to provide all of our guests with a comfortable and memorable experience. I am, however, pleased to know my team was able to create a comfortable sanctuary away from the noise and that you will return to The Tides in the future.

I will be honored by the opportunity to welcome you again on a more relaxing note and remain at your service.

Reviewed 1 July 2011

I recently spent one night at the Tides in one of their smaller ocean front suites. Overall, a lovely experience, from check in to check out, everything was perfect. I was even offered a welcome drink on their patio.

The location of the hotel is simply the best on Ocean Drive, with views to match. The room was large, immaculate and simply beautiful. Nice bathroom, but with a combined shower and tub. If you book one of these suites, try to request one with a corner window--that adds to the already great view.

The hotel lobby was smaller than I had expected and the pool area was also small, but then, you have the ocean a few steps from the hotel. You also get complimentary beach chairs and umbrellas on the beach.

It's obviously not a cheap hotel, but worth the cost. Five stars all around.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a corner window.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing such encouraging feedback on your recent stay at The Tides.

I am truly pleased to know we provided you with a comfortable stay from start to finish and that you enjoyed your Tides Royale welcome drink on the terrace at La Marea.

I hope to welcome you back at The Tides in the near future and remain at your service.