“Great Hotel, Great Location / Beach - problems needing management attention” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tides South Beach

The Tides South Beach
Ranked #72 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
South Africa
“Great Hotel, Great Location / Beach - problems needing management attention”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

A once Iconic Hotel designed by the inimitable Kelly Wearstler.

One of her most sedate interiors done in quiet neutrals exude a lovely understated elegance in the hub of South Beach action. The Main Restaurant inside the hotel is beautiful but I do not know the food quality as we never ate there except for breakfast.

Breakfast was prompt & good enough by USA standards but not great by International standards. Beautifully presented by nice staff. The staff in this Hotel had very little attitude & were very nice unlike the SLS whose staff spoiled a great Hotel.

America, whose idea was it to serve roast potatoes for with breakfast? Disgusting!!!! American hotels need to add more fresh food to their meals & drop the ever present roast potatoes with every meal. I hated America's oily, over-processed & baked meals. Gawd give a guest a tomato etc. or a fruit or something that had life in it once instead. For this reason I would very seldom recommend eating in the hotels & I would find my own restaurants. Ironically if I wanted fresh food I would have to get fruit from a Convenience store!!!! And then very expensive. Seriously America????

HUGE HUGE OCEAN VIEW rooms with stunning sea views (from about the 2nd floor I would imagine, 1st floor nice but dune blocks beach view on lower floors) on the higher floors with a STUNNING bathroom!!!! Yay!!!! Huge closet. (See noise complaints on other reviews but to be expected when you are on the main action strip in Miami! Double Glazing maybe management?)

MANAGEMENT HAS 3 AREAS TO ADDRESS IN THIS HOTEL:

1. Kelly Wearstler has very expensive taste & most people cannot appreciate the price / value of her hotel finishes! Do not mess with the fantastic Kelly Wearstler design but keep paint & finishes etc. brand sparkling new to keep the luxe feeling that is fading as wear & tear kicks in with time. Ditto the beautiful pool area. It needs fresh paint. It felt unloved! Disgraceful to see when a pit of paint could wow this area to the league it should be. (see the comprehensive Review by lagunadallas – who confirms this)

2. The bar is beautiful but "dead". Add mirror to the existing wall design to reflect out & bring in life & customers. This is a cheap easy fix & works like a bomb!

3. The worst problem I had with this hotel is the patio area in front of the hotel & the pavement restaurant which had zero customers (reason - ZERO appeal!!!!) so the public area was completely dead whilst all the adjacent restaurants had LONG QUEUES. THE GENERIC BLAND YELLOW STRIPED CUSHIONS AND CRAPPY TABLES TOTALLY DESTROYED what should have been a key & vital money spinner for the Hotel & is the 1st impression of the hotel as you drive up to stay. The restaurants next door were so busy they could not handle the demand so there was plenty of business. In spite of this management never tried to fix this with new tables / candles / lighting etc and this was the case every night for our whole stay in Miami. Something is very wrong when people will rather wait in a 2 hour queue than support your business! (I suspect the pavement restaurant may be leased to an independent person but at the end of the day The Hotels suffers for it so it is still for the Hotel to address the issue! And very urgently too!)

So yet again it is management that spoils what should be a great hotel!

Room Tip: HUGE HUGE OCEAN VIEW rooms with stunning sea views (from about the 2nd floor I would imagine, 1st f...
1 Thank TheHotelGuru10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

This hotel is the noisiest I have ever stayed at. The windows have not been updated and the room was like being in the bar downstairs. Simply awful . Room service food was expensive and disgusting. Old crab and frozen fish which arrived cold and without proper utensils. Way overpriced for the poor quality. The room was spacious but the decor worn. The worst was the noise. After a 12 hour flight from Europe to pass a sleepless night was really terrible. This hotel is not cheap. I have stayed all over the world and I would never ever stay here again. I wish I had read the other bad reviews on here before booking via Expedia. What a dump.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Katymill2014
Royal Oak, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

I frequent this hotel, and I was there again in early January. This is still my favorite hotel in Sobe, b/c the rooms are wonderful (all with ocean view) and spacious. The location is also ideally situated across the street from the beach and centrally located between south-end shops and restaurants and Lincoln road (and that general area).

With that said, the quality is dropping. The staff is still friendlier and more helpful than most in South Beach (service on the beach is generally awful), but it's not as good as it used to be. My biggest complaint is the peddling that goes on in front of the hotel. This is supposed to be a 4 or 5-star hotel, for God's sake. They have people out front trying to woo passers-by to eat at their restaurant (just like every other dive restaurant on the beach). They have a whiteboard with "specials" and fake entrees sitting out front in an attempt to entice people to dine there. It has the opposite effect on me, as it makes me cringe every time I walk in and out of the hotel. PLEASE STOP, YOU'RE KILLING YOUR BRAND!

Other small things have slipped. When I ordered room service, the jams were SMUCKERS. WHAT? You charge me $50 for an omelette and coffee and you send me smuckers jam in plastic packets?

This hotel used to get all of the little details right. They no longer do, and I hope that the recover. Still a great hotel and the stay is still enjoyable, but they need to recover their lost glory.

Room Tip: Can't really go wrong. All are ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sdrs1999
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We debated among various choices in South Beach, and went with the Tides based on location. We were greeted by Alan, who was a fantastic ambassador for the hotel and very helpful. Overall we were very pleased by the location, the staff, the quiet pool (thankfully without an obnoxious SoBe 'scene'), the size of the room, and the fact that all of the rooms have pretty incredible ocean views. I read a lot of reviews about the noise from the adjacent bar, which was pretty loud in the evening when we were getting ready for dinner, but it was completely quiet before 11pm...which was unexpected for a Saturday night. It sounds like they have that situation worked out, and hopefully so for the hotel's sake.

Downsides within the hotel were minor --- just some room maintenance issues (burned out light bulbs, saggy mattress, door that would it the tub edge and make a loud noise) and we wished there had been cocktail service at the pool considering it was a Saturday afternoon during a rather busy time. The big disappointment was with the restaurant in front of the hotel. I had breakfast here a few years ago and remember it being one of the very few (along with the Betsy) calm, classy, oasis-type spots along a busy and often tacky strip. This time around the restaurant had this huge menu board and the same aggressive sales tactic as other cheesy nearby restaurants --- just try to rope in as many people walking by as possible. There were even a couple of massive margarita glasses with a couple of upside-down Bud Lights sitting out on display as an 'example' of the amazing cocktail offerings on the patio (yikes). It's very downscale and tacky, and not befitting a $400+ per night hotel. We heard that the hotel does not operate the restaurant, which is really a shame because it gives the hotel a low class impression from the street.

Overall the positives here significantly outweighed any very minor negatives, but the problem the Tides has is the competition. There are a number of really fantastic options within a short walk, and I honestly think we'll likely try one of the others the next time we're in South Beach.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

the Tides is well located right on the strip. Room are large and well equipped, beautifully decorated. I knew to expect some noise because of the location, so I wasnt upset when true to form, there was music playing at night. But this is South Beach, and you ave to compromise if you want to be well situated. I found everyone at the hotel to be frendly and service oriented. The restaurant was just ok ....we just had breakfast and my husband's eggs were terribly and obviously overcooked, mine were ok...but it was a lovely atmosphere in hotel lobby and we made the best. Don't know if i'd be back though...so many places to try in South Beach.

Room Tip: we had a corner room on the eighth floor...but during heavy rains it leaked. though management moved...
1 Thank traxnyc
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I would not recommend the Tides. They have changed owners and because of it both the service and interior design changes they have made make it for a disappointing experience for the price.

The owners have made significant decor changes to the lobby since Kelly Wearstler designed it. They moved the cool bar area to the front and added a television and display bottles, which makes it feel more like a holiday inn rather than a chic, boutique hotel. They no longer have that cool, formal dining area. No more candles or inviting, ambiant music to make it warm and inviting. This makes a significant discrepancy from the imagery provided on the pictures they have posted on Tablets, etc.

The decor and service staff around the pool area does not exist. No life what so ever out there. It feels cold and desolate. You don’t even want to lay out back there. It overlooks a parking lot.

Stayed in 602, The room size was the only good thing I have to comment about the hotel and the bed was comfortable. However, because of the hotel’s proximity to the Palace bar next door, you won’t get much sleep in the evening. Circuit music can be heard playing each night until midnight.

We had several meals at the hotel. Each one I can say was a bad experience. Of the meals we had:

Dinner on patio: Served raw chicken.
Lunch on patio: Stale chips, overcooked eggs, had to call service attendant multiple times, no fork/knives
In room dining: Food ordered was not what was promised on menu. Turkey burger served with no none of the basics like lettuce, tomato, onion, stale bread. The antipasto platter came with white, stale bread and grape jelly?

We found out that the hotel outsources the food service to the same company that runs all the horrible restaurants along Ocean Drive, and because of it I don’t see the food improving in the future unless they fire the outsourced food provider.

For the prices the hotel charges (including an 18-20% gratituty required on all orders) it really sets a sour taste when thinking about Miami.

I think we would be better off staying at a cheaper hotel off Collins that offers a better experience at a much lower price.

6 Thank Steve K
Western United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

We were almost trapped at the Tides. Our room was so loud that, for the first time in our lives, we wanted to check out of a hotel early. We were on the second floor, overhanging the hotel's loud, outdoor lounge singer. It was like someone was actually playing a musical instrument in our room. Considering how loud it was, we suspected that guests on higher floors might also be having trouble sleeping. Our first choice, of course, was to request a quieter room on a higher floor. But it was the weekend between Christmas and New Year's, one of South Beach's busiest times of year. The desk clerk told us the rooms on higher floors were full. She said that there was absolutely no way we could move. So we told her that we would like to check out. We were then told that, if we left early, we would forfeit the equivalent of one night's charge. Given the time of year and our last-minute booking, we were paying $900 per night!? This desk clerk was adamant that nothing could be done until we spoke to the manager who would not be in until the following morning at 9. She also told us that it was standard practice for Miami Beach hotels to penalize travelers who checked out early, so tourists beware! She also mentioned, somewhat accusingly, that we had made a last-minute booking which was true, since this was an impromptu trip. But I didn't realize that this was a problem in the hotel business! Between the music and the couple arguing loudly next door for hours and hours and slamming the door so as to lock one or the other one out in the hall (which we realize was not the hotel's fault) we passed a very restless night. The next morning, I ordered, with breakfast, some hot water from room service. The water was stained brown, as if it had been used to clean the coffee maker. This did nothing to endear us to the hotel. When the the manager finally arrived, he told us he had no other rooms although when we mentioned the loud arguing of the couple, he did offer to move us to a bigger but even louder room even closer to the music on the second floor. Finally, he agreed to waive the $900 fee so we fled to the Mondrian, where we had an absolutely wonderful experience. As we were leaving, we heard other guests asking to check out early and being told they would lose the equivalent of one night's stay. I'd like the emphasize that this was not our first time at the Tides. We stayed there about ten years ago and had wanted to return because we had had a wonderful (and noise-free!) experience. The hotel has many good qualities. The rooms are large and chic. The location is extremely central. I think the problem is that the website does do enough to warn guests that the lower-floor rooms are extremely noisy, that higher floors must be requested at the time of booking, especially during the busy season, and that the no-show penalty also applies to early departures. Given the noise level, I am pretty sure that even the higher floors are fairly loud since the hotel is not particularly tall. (It has maybe 10 floors.) I would not recommend this hotel unless you plan to stay out all night clubbing and sleep during the day.

Room Tip: Try to guarantee a room on a high floor at the time of booking although given the layout of the hote...
3 Thank Emily23