A once Iconic Hotel designed by the inimitable Kelly Wearstler.
One of her most sedate interiors done in quiet neutrals exude a lovely understated elegance in the hub of South Beach action. The Main Restaurant inside the hotel is beautiful but I do not know the food quality as we never ate there except for breakfast.
Breakfast was prompt & good enough by USA standards but not great by International standards. Beautifully presented by nice staff. The staff in this Hotel had very little attitude & were very nice unlike the SLS whose staff spoiled a great Hotel.
America, whose idea was it to serve roast potatoes for with breakfast? Disgusting!!!! American hotels need to add more fresh food to their meals & drop the ever present roast potatoes with every meal. I hated America's oily, over-processed & baked meals. Gawd give a guest a tomato etc. or a fruit or something that had life in it once instead. For this reason I would very seldom recommend eating in the hotels & I would find my own restaurants. Ironically if I wanted fresh food I would have to get fruit from a Convenience store!!!! And then very expensive. Seriously America????
HUGE HUGE OCEAN VIEW rooms with stunning sea views (from about the 2nd floor I would imagine, 1st floor nice but dune blocks beach view on lower floors) on the higher floors with a STUNNING bathroom!!!! Yay!!!! Huge closet. (See noise complaints on other reviews but to be expected when you are on the main action strip in Miami! Double Glazing maybe management?)
MANAGEMENT HAS 3 AREAS TO ADDRESS IN THIS HOTEL:
1. Kelly Wearstler has very expensive taste & most people cannot appreciate the price / value of her hotel finishes! Do not mess with the fantastic Kelly Wearstler design but keep paint & finishes etc. brand sparkling new to keep the luxe feeling that is fading as wear & tear kicks in with time. Ditto the beautiful pool area. It needs fresh paint. It felt unloved! Disgraceful to see when a pit of paint could wow this area to the league it should be. (see the comprehensive Review by lagunadallas – who confirms this)
2. The bar is beautiful but "dead". Add mirror to the existing wall design to reflect out & bring in life & customers. This is a cheap easy fix & works like a bomb!
3. The worst problem I had with this hotel is the patio area in front of the hotel & the pavement restaurant which had zero customers (reason - ZERO appeal!!!!) so the public area was completely dead whilst all the adjacent restaurants had LONG QUEUES. THE GENERIC BLAND YELLOW STRIPED CUSHIONS AND CRAPPY TABLES TOTALLY DESTROYED what should have been a key & vital money spinner for the Hotel & is the 1st impression of the hotel as you drive up to stay. The restaurants next door were so busy they could not handle the demand so there was plenty of business. In spite of this management never tried to fix this with new tables / candles / lighting etc and this was the case every night for our whole stay in Miami. Something is very wrong when people will rather wait in a 2 hour queue than support your business! (I suspect the pavement restaurant may be leased to an independent person but at the end of the day The Hotels suffers for it so it is still for the Hotel to address the issue! And very urgently too!)
So yet again it is management that spoils what should be a great hotel!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Tides South Beach is an iconic hotel located on Ocean Drive, just steps from the crystal water of the Atlantic Ocean and Miami’s most exciting dining and nightlife locations. Originally built in 1936, the hotel’s architecture is rich with Art Deco influences, creating a nostalgic environment for The Tides’ unique brand of modern luxury. The Tides features forty-four stylish luxury suites all offering expansive ocean views. Spacious hotel accommodations range from Oceanfront Studio Suites of 550 square feet to the 2,600 square foot Tides Suite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TravelUp and Booking.com so you can book your The Tides South Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- King And Grove Tides
- King & Grove Tides Hotel Miami Beach
- Tides Hotel Miami Beach
- Tides Miami Beach
- The Tides South Beach Miami Beach, Florida