“Oceanfront Motel”

Ranked #140 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Orlando, Florida
“Oceanfront Motel”
Reviewed 27 February 2011

My husband and I were booked for 4 nights in Feb 2011, but stayed only 1 because we both immediately decided that we had to get out! We booked early and were promised an oceanfront room. We didn't get the oceanfront room, but got an intercostal dingy apartment with enough room to sleep at least 7. The floor was wet and sticky and the kitchen had a disturbing smell. The master bed was concave and was likely at least 20 years old. In fact, the entire room smelled and looked like it had not been updated since the 80s.

The pictures online are misleading. This is not a 4 star hotel. I would rate the caliber that of a 30 dollar a night cheap hotel. If you are a group of college students looking for a place to party and to sleep off a hang over then this is the place for you. If you are expecting to spend a few days away with the finer things in life then run away as fast as you can.

The pool is small and unimpressive. The gym does not deserve the title gym. Service is poor. Front desk clerk couldn't care less that we were unhappy. Manager doesn't like to pick up calls and doesn't return messages.

So, if you are looking for a huge place to party without regard to style and cleanliness then this is the place for you. It is perhaps suitable for a large family with small kids as well (you might complain about the cleanliness). This is not for the couple looking for a nice romantic get away at an unscale hotel. This hotel...motel.. is not upscale.

Good luck. I hope that I have helped one person avoid a horrible decision.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank infl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Polish first
Florianopolis, SC
Reviewed 16 February 2011

The hotel was regular, it is style 80'. If you are going to Miami beach to enjoy the atractions of South Beach, be sure that you're going need to rent a car or taxi. The beds were terrible.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Vitor O
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 25 January 2011

We had the opportunity to stay at the Alexander Hotel Thurs, April 15 thru Monday April 19th, 2010.

In route to Miami, we had to catch a flight from Atlanta. We missed the initial flight..so we had to catch a stand-by...I was a little irritated because I encountered a very rude American Airlines agent. I called the hotel to let them know what happened & they assured me that everything would be ok. Nonetheless, we were able to get on the next flight.

Upon reaching the hotel, we were greeted very warmly. Upon check-in the initial room wasn't spacious enough, so we were immediately moved to a very spacious room with a beautiful view of the bay & ocean.

My actual warm greeting started when I made the first contact to inquire about the hotel in Feb. I had the wonderful opportunity to speak with Ramonta Thompson. She was extremely helpful with my curiosity about the property. Myself and a couple of other girlfriends researched several Miami hotels in search for a great location, great amenities, a great room with a great view, a great price, & of course not far from all the happenings. Ramonta definitely eased my mind despite some of the bad reviews that I read before booking it. She even called to check on me upon arrival. To me, great customer care, goes a loooooong way.

Ramonta definitely is great at what she does & she should get a $20 raise upon her next review...lol

Along with Ramonta's great customer care, I was greeted by Paul....he is a hoot, but I enjoyed his excellent hospitality, he always checked on us and took care of anything we asked for. Eddy was wonderful as well, anything we needed regarding food & daily activities, he was able to give us his expert opinion. I am from Birmingham, Alabama, so he always called me Ms. Alabama upon arriving back to the hotel. Marion provided caring customer service as well. She's a sweetheart.

They all made our stay the best. The property was absolutely beautiful, with great amenities. I loved the private access to the beach, with 2 heated pools. We took a cab to the inner part of South Beach or public transportation, which was fine only took approx 5-10 mins 2 get to the happenings. Hotel was located on the quiet end of South Beach. Will definitely stay at the property again. I had such a wonderful experience, that we are considering bringing our family down....
This trip was just a girlfriends trip...what went on in Miami....stayed in Miami...lol

Nonetheless, THANK YOU for a wonderful experience and a WONDERFUL STAFF....

• Stayed April 2010
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2010

Greeted by a very grand staircase at the lobby, check in was seamless. The room exceeded my expectations, I was pleasantly impressed by the view off the massive terrace that faces the sea - absolutely breath-taking!!

The room was very comfortable - one of the biggest I have ever stayed in. Bedroom has a walk in wardrobe. Fully fitted kitchen. Ample towels and toiletries. The kitchen and bathroom decor was a little outdated, and could do with a renovation. I have also seen a few other rooms, and some are very modern and all tastefully furnished. The only thing I would say is the heating in the room doesn't seem to be working, and this appear to be a common problem is a few rooms as I was there with a few collegues and we had the same problem.

Booking a tour with the concierge was very easy, Concierge is very helpful with other things too.

Requested for a late check out as my flight was in the evening, and quite fairly, they said I can have a late check out provided there wasn't anyone booked into the room on the day.

Can't comment on actual hotel breakfast as we had a separate area for breakfast as part of the conference.

There was plenty of room in the 2 pools, and the hot spa was god-send!

Overall, I enjoyed my stay there, very impressed with the room, and would definitely recommend the hotel!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed 21 December 2010

We stayed in mid November in one of The Alexander Condos. The condos are rented out separately from the hotel. The view was amazing, our room was on the 12th floor and faced south, so we had views of the ocean and the intercoastal waterway with it's fancy houses. The view was so good, it's hard to even remember the few flaws of the hotel. And I would go back in a heartbeat to the same room because of the view. The condo was a two bed, two bath with a ktichen and a three flat screen TV's. The bedrooms and bathrooms were big, and the bathrooms are covered in marble. The living room and kitchen were small, but we spent most of our time on the large balcony enjoying the view. The overall decor was a bit out dated, and the carpet is in desparate need of replacement. But on the whole, it was ok. And we got the condo for a great price, especially considering the location. The hotel has a pool and a private beach on the ocean side, although we were too busy enjoying the amazing view from our balcony to use them. The lobby of the hotel is also fantastic, with lots of marble, european antiques, and a grand staircase.

There were a few down sides. The hotel charges for parking, and it isn't cheap. The condo rental group didn't give us a password for the WiFi, and didn't answer calls on the weekend (which they actually trumpeted as one of the benefits of going through them to rent). The hotel charges for computer access in its business center, which seemed odd and pricey. So we spent all three days with no WiFi. The hotel staff seem to really resent the condo tenants, and were less than helpful whent they found out we were in a condo. I realize the condo's don't pay their bills, but they probably have helped keep the hotel afloat. The hotel is about a 25 minute walk each way, or a 5 minute $17 taxi ride each way from South Beach - which is a bit of a bummer. But, being farther north is the reason the hotel has a private beach, none in South Beach do. And we found South Beach a little dissapointing, so it wasn't so bad that we weren't close.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DsGregory
Cincinnati
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Location was good, valet service was very prompt, font desk mgr was a bit snippy but everyone else friendly. Nice clean beach and pool. Expensive drinks at pool bar and Shula's restaurant was good, but not worth the price. But we liked the Alexander and would have no problem staying there again, would recommend to others. Traffic always very heavy in Miami Beach, but beautiful area.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 December 2010

We just came back from 3 days stay at Alexander Hotel in Miami. My mother-in-law developed an itch on the second day of our stay. I am a physician and I first thought that the itching was due to some sort of seasonal or food allergy. Today, my wife told me that she found and killed a little bug in the suite. That has prompted me to take a look at the rash on my mother-in-law's upper back and sure enough, it was a linear cluster of red and raised lesions. The constellation of these findings are suggestive of bed bugs, though I can't be 100 percent sure. Location is great for beach goers and service is fair, however; the hotel is very old and certainly needs a major renovation. We have just called and informed them about the possible bed bug problem after spending hours trying to quarantine all the cloths we have brought back from Miami. Once again, please use your own judgement and remember that I am not a bed bug expert, I am just a concerned customer.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple