“GLAD I STAYED HERE..”

Ranked #7 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
McLean, Virginia
“GLAD I STAYED HERE..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I travel a lot and stay in 5star hotels in every part of the world. My friend recommended this hotel and I'm very glad I took his advice.
I would just like to say to the owner of this hotel that, when you hired Daniela and Jeff to be the face of you're hotel, you made the right choose.
My room was spacious, clean and quite. The bed was very comfy and linens, perfect.
I would highly recommend everyone planning a trip to SOBE to stay here.
Thank you Daniela & Jeff for making my stay memorable..

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank William T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Austin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

By far the best experience in Miami. The rooms are super trendy with awesome lights that change colors. Got the surround system built into the walls and a plug for the iPhone to play the music. The TV is amazing - it's actually a mirror when turned off and turns into a tv when turned on. Beds are comfy. The housekeeping as well as the people working downstairs are very welcoming and sweet. Jeff went out of his way to suggest places to go out to as well as places to eat. Very pleasant to talk to. Overall - an amazing experience. Would suggest to everyone going to miami.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
New Canaan, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

A boutique hotel on 1200 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, the Hotel Marlin is a modest enterprise nicely located near the heart of the action on South Beach.

It delivered what I consider the three essentials of a desirable hotel room; a good-sized, comfortable bed; a good-sized, comfortable TV; and a good-sized, comfortable bathroom.

But it's not cheap, especially for a 3rd-floor room as small as the one my wife and I had. The cost for us for one night was about $280. But it is quiet (much more so than on neighboring Ocean Drive) and surprisingly cozy. Plus, the A/C worked without a hitch. The walls are thick, and the doors are heavy and secure. You can go to bed early, get a good night's sleep, and catch your morning flight the next day without drama. That's a big plus in South Beach.

As you check in, the hotel staff hands you an iPad, which operates all the major electronics in your room. It adjusts the drapes, the lights, even the TV. It's oh-so 21-st Century! Unfortunately, it requires a bit of trial and error to learn the systems, and it took my wife and I about ten minutes to figure out how to turn off the TV. (Gee, what ever happened to on/off switches?) I'm not sure why you need an iPad for these functions, but I guess its the Marlin's way of standing out from the crowded scene of boutique hotels nearby.

The Marlin has a small bar and a restaurant, although neither saw much business while we were there. That's a good thing. Boutique hotels with lots of traffic at their bars and restaurants are often rough, noisy, and potentially unsafe, in my opinion.

The place is not perfect. For example, if you can figure out how to open your iPad-operated drapes, you'll discover that the hotel's windows haven't been washed since the Bay of Pigs. The room has an impressive bar, but know this: if you decide to crack open that small bottle of 10 Cane Rum or Jose Cuervo Gold, you will get an extra $40 tacked onto your bill.

As the risk of sounding peevish, I could complain about the spartan cabinetry, the cheap toilet paper, and the cramped elevator, but those issues are trivial. All in all, the Hotel Marlin is a good hotel with good amenities in a good location.

If only it didn't cost so much.

Room Tip: The Marlin shares its valet service with at least one other nearby hotel. If you're checking in...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Randy S
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have traveled the world and I think this was the most annoying hotel I've ever stayed in. The marlin is in an amazing location, the rooms were exceptionally clean and the staff were kind and extremely helpful. However, that was far outweighed by the cons. The tv is built in a mirror. Sounds cool. It's not. Because of that you have to only watch the tv in complete darkness. Any light brings a horrible glare which means you can't watch while getting ready to go out or even open your blinds. Even that isn't as bad as the fact that they have two studios where celebrities, mostly rappers, produce their music. Sounds cool. It's not. It's 24/7 loud music, and our room and hallways constantly reeked of marijuana. Constantly. The music and DJ in the lobby start at about 8 a.m for their breakfast club and blasts until about 3 a.m. Forget sleeping. You won't. The marijuana was overwhelming. The food at the restaurant was mediocre, way overpriced, the waitress was sweet but kept playing with her hair, yuck, and the busboy on the patio worked the entire time with a cigarette hanging out his mouth. It could be a 5 star hotel but for the reasons I mentioned.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Tamms2011
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

My daughter (19) and I had a quick getaway from the cold and after searching the area we decided to stay at the Marlin. It was an awesome choice and we travel a lot! We typically stay at smaller boutique hotels as they tend to be more upscale, stylish and personal than the larger places. The Marlin fit right into that description but I'll also add hip. The rooms were large (we were in 303) and ultra-modern. The whole iPad set up with everything from colored lighting, auto drapes, awesome sound system and tv/mirror were such an unexpected surprise.. The beds and duvet was very comfortable and the bathrooms had excellent amenities. Each room also had beach bag and towels and largest stocked liquor cabinet I've ever seen. Each person at the front desk was very professional and personal from helping with valet, check-in/out, etc. . At night the bar was a perfect place to start out or return back to. One night they had a contemporary artist at work in the bar with his pieces on display while he created a new piece. The two young bartenders were also so friendly and put on no airs (which I have little patience for).

The music vibe certainly resonates as South Beach Recording studios was also a central reason for picking the Marlin as my daughter recorded her first two songs. Joe Galdo spent over an hour with us the first day there. What an incredible person and such a treat as his passion for music and the art of recording is something my daughter and I will never forget! yes we will return! Dustin did a great job with us spending over two hours the next morning in the studio and the whole rental was quite reasonable.

Overall, if your looking for something different I'd definitely try the Marlin. Don't worry about having no pool- it's two blocks from the beach and rental chairs, umbrellas, etc. are easy. It's location was also perfect and the area not too dense (I.e., massive hotels, cheesy t-shirt shops etc.)

Starbucks is around the corner witch I suggest because morning coffee at the bar is a bit weak, but omelets and breakfast was good!

The only thing I wouldn't do again is probably rent a car. So close to the airport and cabs are so easy. I'd also not hesitate to bring kids 12 and older there, but probably not younger.

Room Tip: I'd also suggests trying to get a room farther back from the stair as a room closer might get pr...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

We checked in to our room. The light colored carpeting around the bed had significant staining. It was pretty nasty looking. The carpeting is basically peel-and-stick tiles, very easy to replace, there is no excuse for not fixing it.

You are given an iPad to control room settings. Sometime during the middle of the night, the television turned on by itself. I am tech savvy. I could not get it to shut off, there was no apparent "on/off" switch on the television. I had to mute the volume, but still had to deal with the extra light the television emitted. I like to sleep in a dark environment. In the morning, I went to the desk, they sent up their tech guy. It took him 5 minutes to figure out the problem, and it was nothing I did that caused it.

Also, we were billed $19.99 for overnight parking. We found a space near the hotel and parked there. We did not utilize the valet to park overnight. Why were we charged? I did not notice the charge until we had departed.

To be fair, there is a lot that is good about the hotel. The location is great, the bed was comfortable, and the hotel has a cool vibe. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Spot3131
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We didn't have any great expectations about our one night stay here, but that should soon end up to be another story. We came quite early (around 8 in the morning), and even though our rooms weren't ready they gave us another available room in the meantime, to give us the opportunitiy to relax and store our luggage. When the other rooms were ready and we were out, they moved our luggage. Talk about a good start.

The rooms themselves just needs to be experienced. They were really awsome just along the musical path that the hotel has, and all of your room is controlled to an iPad. Everything doen't work 100% all of the time, but that's just minor flaws. The rooms are different, so I guess each of them offer a quite unique experience.

Service was good all the way, Internet worked without any hassle and there was even a buzzing bar in the evening. Location was perfect for everything we needed, just a block from the beach and Ocean Drive, so there is really nothing negative to say. We will be back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends