“Will return again - great stay”
Review of The Park Central

The Park Central
Ranked #137 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 14 March 2010

My daughter and I escaped the snows of the north and came early to check-in to the Park Central. We were originally booked into a room in the back of the hotel on the second floor, but based on previous reviews (knowing it was over the kitchen), we were able to get a room on the 3rd floor - great decision. We had a room with 2 double beds which was much larger than other rooms I have had in the Art Deco hotels in South Beach. The location was fairly quiet at night versus other hotels on Collins and Ocean Drive. Since it was cooler than normal, we took advantage of the roof top deck - great option for sunning. This hotel does not charge any resort fee, and includes beach loungers on the beach itself. We upgraded to a cabana - which was a wonderful option.

Some folks have complained about the bathroom - but ours was fine. Remember, this is a hotel built in the 30's - so it will be cozy. Many of the tiles are the original tiles from the 30's. If you want something different go check into a chain hotel. Frankly, it was great. The bathrobes are a nice touch. There is a pool, but we did not take advantage of it, as the beach is across the street and a walk over the dunes.

My five start rating is based on "bang for the buck". No, its not a five star hotel, and I was not looking for one. But if you are looking a great value, clean hotel, nice staff, and a fantastic location - this could be the one for you.

Great shopping around the corner on Collins. Lincoln road a short cab ride away. There is no need for a car if you plan to stay in South Beach/Miami Beach. A city garage is only a block away if you insist versus paying for valet parking.

Room Service at the hotel was slow.... They said they knocked on our door - an excuse, they did not. Oh well. The room service comes from the CasaBlanca restaurant which is not the same as Quinn's.

We ate at Quinn's two nights, the restaurant right in the hotel, which was great. Pricey but excellent food. Mojitos are the best at Quinn's and priced favorably for Ocean Drive. We also ate a Casablanca - skip drinks here - all priced at $14 and tiny and not good. Drink wine or beer if you are looking for value here. Great cheap food to be found at Puerto Saguaro around the corner for cuban coffee, roast chicken, flan, etc...

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank FlipperEastCoast
Write a ReviewReviews (1,440)

Reviewed 6 March 2010

Having read previous reviews I was wary, however on arrival I was very happy with our room. The Art Deco style was great, lovely to have some character and the room while not huge was large enough for the two of us and had plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, as well as a safe in the room. The location is great for south beach and you are near lots of restaurants and bars. I liked the free wifi and the free beach loungers on the beach opposite, however we really liked chilling out on the roof terrace. On the downside our room was on the second floor at the back which meant our room overlooked the alley below, not pretty but that didn't bother us, the problem was a huge noisy lorry parked in the alley. Since we hadn't unpacked yet we asked reception if we could move to a room higher up, they showed us a room on the 3rd floor on the side of the building but since this was so close to the building next door the room was very dark and gloomy. We reasoned that the truck would eventually leave so we stuck with our room, this was a huge mistake. While the truck did leave and we slept well that night we were woken early the next morning (even with ear plugs in - I'd come prepared for some noise being on Ocean drive) by the kitchen staff below banging doors and the general noise from the restaurant of the chairs scrapping on the floor. We figured it was a good way to get us up early in the mornings, however that evening the noise was very bad around midnight and carried on until the early hours with staff shouting to each other and generally banging about. I'd like to point out that we didn't complain to the hotel about this as by this point we had just one night left and were at the end of a multi-hotel trip which had meant we'd packed our bags so many times already we hadn't got the energy to do it another time just for one night. It was a shame that the noise spoilt our stay at this hotel, by the time we left I was very happy to be going home to a good nights sleep. If you are staying here I would reccomend you are on a high level and as near to the front of the hotel as possible.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2010

I spent countless hours reading hundreds of reviews to pick a hotel for an 11-night stay and found my budget escalating after so many horror stories of roaches, bed bugs, unclean rooms or horrific noise at many other cheaper places. This hotel has a lot of great reviews and in retrospect I feel they are fair, although i have not personally stayed at others to compare. The room I had on 5th floor (facing small pool) was "tired" but clean, had a large room-safe and plenty of shelf/cupboard space in the smallish bathroom. Bed was very comfy, air conditioner noisy but effective. Ceiling fan/light a better bet, although seemed to be a wiring problem as it "randomly" would come on/off as someone in an adjacent room turned theirs on - starting a "battle" - not nice to have a light turned on at 4.30am! Didn't try the pool - being next to the road and quite small it didn't appeal.

Only serious complaint would be the noise which was a key criteria in choosing a hotel for me over staying in a hostel as I wanted my sleep. The room walls are made of cardboard it seems so you hear every single utterance or TV noise at all hours of the day and night. You can also loudly hear the live band from downstairs although at least they stop at 11-11.30pm. I had to complain twice about my neighbours for a few nights who left their TV "blasting" until 5am. Ear plugs don't work too well for me, but on other nights with more considerate neighbours it was fine.

Location was brilliant for me just wanting the beach/ footpath for skating and handy enough to disparate shops for most needs. A 20-min walk or so to Lincoln Rd shops. If travelling alone and saving on food money like me - I bought disposable plates/cutlery and breakfast food from CVS food/pharmacy on 5th street nearby (storing stuff in mini-bar fridge). Subway also there as well as some small cafes for lunch. A sushi place between 8th and 9th on Washington was tasty & cheap, or you can go to "The Big Pink" down on 2nd for massive menus/meals. Also a Cuban restaurant Puerto Sagua was good value for a few visits.

Had little need to speak to staff but when I did they were all friendly and helpful. Didn't try any of the in-house food or restaurants/bars - too pricey for me for such a long visit but they did seem popular. Walking up Ocean Drive can get "annoying" being accosted at every eating place by the restaurant shills outside - change street sides or walk up Collins to avoid them as I did.

Overall had a brilliant trip - it isn't a cheap place to visit but then I could have stayed at a hostel if I really wanted to go on a tight budget. If I go again I would probably try to find somewhere quieter (need my sleep) but failing that would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank kiwidude_uk
Reviewed 3 March 2010

We had one day to spend in South Beach after a Caribbean cruise, and chose the Park Central based on location and price. The room wasn't ready at noon (which we expected) but the bellman checked our bags. The front desk person seemed peeved to have to deal with us, and never called us on our cell phones to confirm that the room was ready; we came back after walking all along Ocean Drive. The room (#511) was clean & spacious, with one queen bed and a view over the pool area and a "peek" of the ocean. (BTW: We got the best rate on Travel*city--$10 cheaper than anyone else.) The linens were great on the bed and in the bathroom. I was concerned about noise from the street activity, but on a Sunday night we weren't bothered. In the morning (7:00 am), the bellman got us a cab and helped load our luggage. The ceiling fan, however, had a mind of its own. It went off twice and the light came on unexpectedly in the night. But it did cool the room without A/C. We didn't use any of the facilities in such a short stay, but I was impressed by what I saw and particularly with the location. If we cruise out of Miami again, we will definitely consider the Park Central and would recommend it to other couples.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2010

We have just returned from a week's stay at the Park Central. It was a fantastic hotel in a superb location on Ocean Drive. We did not get a chance to use the pool as were always on the beach opposite but the roof top terrace was great for relaxing at the end of the day. The staff are extremely polite and helpful. The room we had was spacious. The food was excellent in the Quinns restaurant. I would highly recommend anyone staying here. I just wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank COED21
Reviewed 2 March 2010

Stayed 3 nights last weekend. Hotel is just what you would expect and want for a classic south beach visit. Rooms are comfortable, great beds, bathroom small but adequate and clean with all amenities. Staff was pleasant and very helpful. No parking: valet $25 per day, self-park $15 per day. ouch.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2010

The hotel is in a great location (on Ocean drive), in the heart of all the action. The beds are nice and the rooms are kind of small but very clean. Very helpful staff, and the price was well worth it, given the high price hotels everywhere on Ocean drive. Will definately come back again!

Trip Advisor helped us with the review as this was one of the top reviewed hotels with the best value.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple