“We were pleasantly surprised”
Review of The Park Central

The Park Central
Ranked #131 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 5 January 2011

We were on a very tight budget (but still wanted a good South Beach location and beach chairs included) so it was with some trepidation that we booked The Park Central. It turned out to be a great hotel. Yes, the rooms are very simply furnished and are looking a little tired now, but they are a good size for an Art Deco hotel and housekeeping keep them really clean. The bathrooms are particularly cramped, but perfectly functional. The soundproofing is not good though, so try to get a room away from the elevator and hope your immediate neighbours don't party in their room. I took earplugs (and generally slept well - the beds are very comfortable) and on the only occasion I was woken by two very silly girls in the adjacent room at 4.00am, security came very quickly to tell them to keep it down. In fact, all the staff we encountered were delightful. The hotel's oyster.com review had suggested that the front desk staff in particular were surly and unhelpful, but we found them quite the opposite, switching one room for another immediately when we asked.

The pool is tiny and in shade for most of the day, but given that beach chairs are included in the room rate and there's a great roof terrace with very comfortable loungers, we weren't worried by that. The location is excellent - right on Ocean but down at the quieter end. Perhaps it wouldn't have been so ideal in really humid weather - it would be a long and sweaty walk up to Lincoln for instance - but in December (and a cold one at that) it was ideal. There's no Starbucks nearby, but there's a cafe just around the corner on 6th that does cappucinos and freshly baked croissants, and a Walgreens for drinks and snacks. We also recommend CJ's Crab Shack (virtually next door on Ocean). Don't be put off by the rather strange decor inside - the food is delicious and pretty good value by South Beach standards.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Park Central

Reviewed 29 December 2010

We had 4 nights at this hotel.
I must say that they had a lovely choice of live music ( jazz and bossa nova / cuban ) at the restaurant area, whereas lots of other places on the same street have quite loud ( mostly clubby ) music till late.
if you want a nice and calm time in your room, this is the place to stay.
We enjoyed the dinner at the hotel restaurant ' Quinn's '.
The decor of the hotel may not be updated enough to some people, however, it was very well kept and we enjoyed the lovely decor as it is.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2010

I stayed at The Park Central hotel in Miami Beach, Florida on 9-11-2010 through 9-14-2010. I took others' advice and signed up for their free "gold card membership" on the website. I got what I thought was a great deal on nightly rates and for that, I do not complain. If you sign up for the gold card membership, you get a complimentary "continental breakfast." While I originally thought this was AMAZING because every place around is expensive to eat breakfast, this "continental breakfast" was nothing more than vouchers for your choice of a blueberry muffin OR an English muffin, OR toast at the patio restaurant outside. You got to choose ONE of those items and you also got a little tiny bowl of "mixed fruit" that is extremely heavy on honeydew and watermelon. In addition, you got either 1 cup of coffee or 1 cup of orange juice. One morning, I got a very tiny glass of OJ but it tasted phenomenal - fresh squeezed! The next morning I received a slightly larger glass of fresh squeezed OJ, and the next morning, I received another tiny glass of "OJ", but it tasted more like Tang, the powdered orange flavored drink. It was terrible and definitely not fresh squeezed. One of the waiters was pretty rude and acted as if I was inconveniencing him since I was just a lowly "breakfast voucher user." He never said this explicitly, however.
Since I signed up for the gold club membership, I was upgraded from a room on the 5th floor overlooking the swimming pool to a "partial ocean view" on the 6th floor that overlooked the roof below covered with air conditioner equipment and graffiti. The windows in the room advertise that they will only open a few inches but they will actually open enough that a person could fall/jump out, ie, they fully open outward. When we were there, the temperature was in the 90's I believe and since there is a deck on the top floor (6th floor), the hallway door leading to the deck was always left open. The hallway was always extremely hot and there was no air conditioning in the hallway on our floor. We got into the room and the air conditioner didn't work. A technician had to come to the room to replace it and even then, it didn't cool well because the door in the hallway was always open, letting hot air into the hotel. The room was very small and there was not much room to move about. The hotel advertises "free wifi" in the rooms, but since we were on the 6th floor, the signal was so weak that I could not connect and if I ever did connect, it would drop out and was basically worthless. Our "upgraded" "partial ocean view" room *did* have a partial ocean view and that was nice if you could shut out the view of the roof below and the sound of the elevator motor in the elevator shaft. Yes, our "upgraded" room was directly adjacent to the elevator, so ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT LONG, we could hear the elevator motor engaging. This was very irritating and made it difficult to sleep at night. There is no ice machine on the 6th floor either. I had to go all the way down to the 4th floor for an ice machine. The shower in our room also had a strange issue. I could have the water running at the temperature that I enjoyed, then all of the sudden, it would get scalding hot like there was no cold water at all. The problem came on quickly and it disappeared equally as fast. I was unclear if this was due to someone in some other room flushing their toilet, but that should not affect the water temperature in MY room. The bed was nice - it was soft and a king size and the sheets were comfortable. The carpet seemed to be in good condition and the ceiling fan looked new, however, the buttons to control the fan did not work very well. I'd have to push a button 3 or 4 times before the fan would react. I did not use the mini bar in the room, so I cannot comment on pricing. According to the staff, the 6th floor is only "upgraded" rooms, but the entire stay on the 6th floor seemed to have less amenities than ANY of the other floors in the hotel.
The patio restaurant (where you can get breakfast, not the indoor restaurant "Quinn's") has nightly "drink specials". The special is "2 drinks for the price of 1". One drink is $30 and they are fairly large, so I figured $15 each for these big drinks is a reasonable price to pay. My wife and I sat down and ordered 1 drink each (1+1=2 drinks total). When we were finishing off the two total drinks that we ordered at our table, our waitress asked if we wanted two more. We declined and she said we could even get them "to go in to go cups." I again declined and asked for the bill. She brought the bill out to us and the total was $60, not the advertised $30. She then proceeded to tell me that it was "2 drinks for the price of 1 PER PERSON", so I could not simply order 2 drinks total with my wife and I only drinking 1 each. I then walked over to the board that avertised this 2 for 1 pricing and it says in *VERY* tiny lettering "per person." This was very deceiving to me as it was not brought up by the waitress when we said we'd like the "drink special". The girl that gets paid to stand on the sidewalk and ask people if they'd like to try the restaurant asked me how I was enjoying myself when I went to read the advertisement board again and I told her about my bill issue. She replied "Well usually they'll just let it slide and let you do 2 for 1 drinks for the table instead of per person if we're slow, but we're doing pretty well tonight! So I guess they won't let you do it this time!!!" That made me feel like a *very valued* customer both at the restaurant and the hotel (sarcasm). I told the waitress that I wanted my extra 2 drinks to go since I had to pay the $60 regardless of if I had 2 drinks or 4, so when she brought them out, I dropped $60 cash on the table and left - leaving NO tip.
It is a very convenient, quick walk to the beach from the hotel lobby. You can go to the snack bar guy and request a towel and he will give you one per person. You must remember to turn the towel back in at the end of the day or they will charge you (if I remember correctly) $30 for the old, beat up beach towel that they give you. It's nice to not have to get your own towel all sandy on the beach, but they definitely aren't $30 towels. I am not sure about the beach chairs. The hotel did not have beach chairs that you can carry down to the beach as far as I could tell. There were always large stacks of chairs on the beach all secured together by a metal rope and a padlock, but I don't know who eventually came out to unlock the chairs for use. The hotel does NOT have private beach space. The sand is extremely rocky feeling and is not soft at all to walk on with bare feet. It is borderline painful to walk on the sand with bare feet on the beach that is near the hotel, but that is no fault of the hotel.
Overall, the hotel is tolerable if all you do is go there, sleep, then leave immediately when you are done getting ready in the morning and do not come back until late at night when you are ready to go back to sleep. One other thing - all the exterior pictures that the hotel shows will have a black classic car parked in front of the hotel. The car is really parked in front of the hotel every single day and looks like it is in mint condition in the pictures on the website, but in reality, it's a piece of junk! I was really surprised and laughed a bit to myself about it. Enjoy your stay here if you get a really low ball price per night stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mroinks
Reviewed 15 December 2010

Stayed at this hotel for four nights during our South Beach vacation. The hotel is located on the quieter end of Ocean Drive, the main street in the Art Deco area (great tourist location). Although the rooms are very clean and generally quiet they are very small and the hotel has limited amenities.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Stayed here for a couple of nights, Art Deco hotel lovely in a great location on the quiteter end of Ocean Drive, very handy for beach and restaurants. Check their website efore you go, you can apply for a GoldCard which gives you free room upgrade and free breakfasts! As with other reviews, we found the walls a bit thin, so slightly noisy, but no other complaints. Will definitely visit again.

Reviewed 10 December 2010

This a great hotel, right on Ocean Drive and 2 minutes from the beach. Rooms were ok for sleeping and washing but the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything going on either side of you. We were in Room 303 which had a partial ocean view but is near the lift and therefore gets a lot of foot traffic. I was on honeymoon but still prefer to get up early and go to bed early but was kept awake most nights by slamming doors and Tv's on extremely loud during the night.
Roof terrace is great if the beach gets too hot or busy and handy for your own drinks with ice from the machine. Great views from the roof as well.

I would recommend this hotel but would warn people about the room noise.

Reviewed 7 December 2010

Just returned from the Park Central. This was our fourth visit to this hotel in three years.
All the staff at this hotel are friendly and helpful. Both the bell boys and the concierge do go that extra mile to make to feel so welcome.
We have stayed in various rooms in the hotel, some smaller than others, but all spotlessly clean. The rooms offer a flat screen television, i pod station. and a stocked fridge. The only thing the room lacks is tea making facilities. Another useful feature is the ice machine located on the 4th floor, so you can chill your drinks before going up to the roof top, which offers stunning views both day and night. There is free internet access and in the same room a book exchange. The bar area and the resturant are magical in the night with fairy lights scattered everywhere.
The hotels location is fabulous, located at the quieter end of Ocean Drive, one minutes walk from the wonderful shops on Collins Ave, ten minutes walk from South Pointe Park. Opposite the hotel is south beach, with free sun beds provided by the hotel.
Very close resturants to check out all within five minutes walk: CJ's crab shack; The big pink for breakfast; The best service and pizza in the world at La locando; and not forgetting the News Cafe. Try the Park Central Cafe next door for a mojito. (cheaper than the hotel bar)
My only negative point about this hotel is the carpet, it needs renewing.
So I think the good by far outweigh the bad (the carpet)