“Never back again” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Milano-Italy
“Never back again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

After being happy regular customer for 10 years I was shocked when, without prior notice, the new Management,Lupe Castillo,wanted to triple my room rate for the memorial day weekend.Of course I left immediately.There's no comparison between the new management looking for small short-sighted speculations and the elegant friendly approach of the previous management looking for customer satisfaction.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank DinoMilano56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

A great hotel in a great location, across from the beach and in the middle of the South Beach action. Friendly staff, quirky vintage style rooms (ours had 50's decor) and free wifi. Would definatley stay there again, it was great value, highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Megan_Adelaide_AU
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

My wife and I stayed in the Executive Thirties's Suite, which was really just kind of a long skinny room that wasn't all that suite like. I thought the individually-styled rooms at this place looked really great, but ours was pretty uninspiring. Cool idea, but didn't really deliver any of the unique style and atmosphere that was promised on the hotel website. But it was comfortable and must be well insulated because we couldn't really hear the crowds outside on Ocean Drive, even though they were right below. And, as some other reviewers have mentioned, the bed was on the firm side, but we found it comfortable.

In general, this place seemed so focused on a cool image that they sacrifice some of the hospitality details that you might expect for this price range. For example, there was complimentary water in our fridge when we checked in (very nice) but we found that one of the bottles was opened and half drunk (not so nice). And the shower gel had been half used. The free wireless internet signal didn't really reach the whole room, so I couldn't use the internet from the table or seating area, only from the bed. To me, these types of things suggest that they prioritize hip image over hotel quality. My guess is that many of the places along Ocean Drive are similar in this regard. That said, the staff was all very friendly, and none of the little things detracted that much from our stay.

I must admit that I didn't really know what I was getting myself into when booking a place right on Ocean Drive. If I returned to Miami Beach I'd probably look to stay at one of the other hotels a little farther north, which seem a bit more separate from some of the craziness. But even if I did want to return right to the heart of South Beach, I'd look for someplace else. Personally, I'd prefer more quality and less cool.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zigler
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

Location on the Ocean Drive is superb. You wont any view from the rooms unless you go for executive rooms (2 of them I think). But then again you want spend so much time in the room in Miami anyway.

Rooms are good enough and cute in fact , all themed up. The reception and waiters tend to be Italian here.

The only shame is the restaurant. Total waste of money, give it a pass. Bad and expensive food. You ask a medium-rare steak, u end up dried well done steak, when u say that to the waiter, he doesnt even bother to change it. He just says I said medium to the chef!.. so was I supposed to be satisfied by that? oh if u said it, its ok then!!! it must be my fault that its well-done, dry and low quality meat!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Çağlar K
North West
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

We stayed in the room 'born in the stars and stripes' not a great view bit great for peace at night. South beach is loud but our room which wasn't at the front was quiet. Perfect for us. Always ask depending on your needs. It's just a great boutique hotel and the front of house are great too.
My only gripe is the restaurant doesn't match the quality of the hotel but then most of the restaurant on ocean drive are pretty crap.
The staff at the hotel itself are lovely and helpful but again having stayed in other hotels you can usually get the real know of where to go and what to do.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank SmirfNorthWest
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

My partner and I visited the pelican hotel last September after much research. We'd previously stayed at the palms (never again!). The staff couldn't do enough to help, the rooms were fantastic and the location and views from our room were amazing! We are very much looking forward to our next trip to Miami and the pelican!

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank LindaF73
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

We stayed for 7 nights a this hotel. We booked it tru the website after reading about it at tripadvisor! Everything was very nice. We got room 310, the Viva Las Vegas one. It was not very big but still comfy. The room was clean and nice.

Spring break was going on in South beach but the room was in the back so we didnt heard anything of the partying.

I can truly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple