“Blew me away”

Ranked #28 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
North Bergen
“Blew me away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

I travel for business often and stay at flag hotels. I took a chance and booked this hotel based on reviews. It was a fantastic idea. Check in was simple and my room was a suite so I had a great area to work from. Could not wait to wrap up and head to the bar. The bartenders are great from all over the world . If you get a chance eat at the restaurant food was amazing!

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
North Bergen, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Always wanted to try an Art Deco hotel in sobe. I found a great place , very attentive staff , clean and although you travel alone the staff makes you feel like family. There is an Italian man at the reception desk that is amazing. He can point you in the right direction on anything that one would need. Check out the staff shirts all with great quotes on back. I truly did not want to leave this hotel. They offer water in room, wifi, breakfast , beach chairs and drinks in afternoon. The rooms are small but who cares it's truly a must when traveling to south beach. They offer passes to equinox gym!! Can't beat that

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TOsorio
Coconut Creek, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Went with my friends for a guys weekend. Loved the free drinks and we stayed at the zebra room. Great view and the staff was great. Definitely will return. It's a few steps from wet Willys. Will be back for winter break! Thank you Silvia great service at restaurant.

Room Tip: Great upgrade fees for suites offered at check in
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Johan O
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

This small hotel is perfect! Location, service and staff. The rooms are kept very clean the staff is extremely friendly. So I read some of the reviews about drinks not included at breakfast...really some hotels offer a muffin or cold bagel these guys offer great choices including eggs Benedict don't sweat if you have to buy your drinks. All in all a wonderful stay and will recommend to everyone

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Maria G
Panama City, Panama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

I so want to write a positive review as everything at this hotel was perfect except for one key thing. The air conditioner in the room would sound like a Harley Davidson was revving every 4 - 5 minutes. We could not sleep without it due to the heat and could not sleep with it due to the noise. What good is a hotel if you cannot sleep? So, unfortunately, we will never stay here again as we need our sleep to enjoy the daytime fun of Miami.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin S
PelicanHotelSobe, General Manager at Pelican Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Pfiec,

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the hick up of the AC. We take all reviews seriously and will be upgrading the remaining few units. I'm confident you have noticed that we have refinished all of our hard wood floors and have made renovations to the bathrooms this year. The AC project has been scheduled for early 2014. We truly apologize that the unit malfunctioned and hope that you will give us another chance to make it up to you.

Should your travels bring you to South Beach, please contact me directly at lupe@pelicanhotel.com for special rates.

On behalf of the entire Pelican staff, Happy Holidays
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

There are tons of hotels on Ocean Dr. This hotel definitely is not worth $175/per night rate. It did include free wifi, happy hour and free breakfast. But the hotel is only worth $130/per night or even less. The extra you paid is towards to your breakfast and wifi, happy hour. Breakfast (6.95 dollars) is good. You need to pay your own drink (4 dollars for cappuccino, 3 dollars for ice tea). The restaurant in the hotel is good. The front desk guy Robert was just OK. I booked through Priceline. The check-in date was 16 and check-out was 19. On the 18th, we drove to Key west and got back to the hotel at 1 a.m. on 19th. I was really tired and wanted to go to bed right away. Crazy thing happened. The hotel door key does not work. I had to go to the front desk. Robert told me that I was suppose to check out. I showed him my confirmation letter from priceline. He said I still need to call priceline. It took half an hour to solve the issue. Priceline customer service guy called him and faxed him their copy. Then, he made me another two room keys. That was crazy. I don't think I would go back to this hotel. The good thing about the hotel is the location and big shower head. Other than that, there is not that much selling point. I booked Park Central hotel for my parents which is just couple of block away from this one. The room is bigger in park central. Although Pelican hotel is renovated, the hotel service is too bad there. I prefer "Park central hotel" way more than Pelican hotel. In addition, park central hotel also has a pool. It is outdoor but is nice enough for people who don't like to swim in the ocean. For parking, $28 dollars. I parked on the street. 1.75/per hour. after 3 a.m., it is free till 9 a.m.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Valued guest,

After reading your review it is obvious that there was an error in communication. On your way out to Key West, you stopped by the desk with your luggage and advised us you were leaving. Unfortunately, that statement was not followed with Leaving to Key west and will be returning this evening. I'm confident you now understand the confusion.

We are delighted to read you enjoyed many of the goodies, the Pelican has to offer.

Wishing you a wonderful holiday,
Lupe Castillo
Kassel, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

This Hotel was just perfect. It basically takes everything that is wrong with big chain hotels, especially in the US, and gets it right. Add the perfect location in south beach's art deco district and you have a winner.

The rooms are all uniquely styled in some interesting way and our room was immaculately clean. Housekeeping was very attentive (e.g. noticed we were going through the hair conditioner quickly and put a lot more). The room rate included quite a few things, for instance free water bottles, chairs at the beach and a free happy hour (in many other places in the US the dubious "resort fees" buy you a lot less). The staff we genuinely friendly, as opposed to the fake friendliness one finds so often in Hotels. The best part however was the breakfast that was included, it was real breakfast (and not some sugary garbage wrapped in plastic). Overall we had a great time and were a bit sad we couldn't stay a bit longer.

btw. I saw some reviews complaining about the lack of a swimming pool and can not help but wonder why that would be a problem in south beach?!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple