“Captures the spirit of Miami Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pelican Hotel

Pelican Hotel
Ranked #27 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Captures the spirit of Miami Beach”
Reviewed 26 July 2010

During my first visit to Miami Beach in 2004 I walked by this place many times, and even from the outside I knew it was somewhere I would want to stay in the future. Well that future finally came this weekend and I'm pleased to say the hotel completely lived up to my expectations.

The room we stayed in was admittedly tiny, but made up for it with great style and decor. I also love the wooden floors, would definitely take that over hotel carpet any day. The staff, most of whom I believe were Italian (judging from the accents and the fact that the hotel is owned by Diesel Jeans, an Italian company), attended to our every request without hesitation. The bartender kept the bar open late when we came back for a nightcap, made us amazing drinks and charged us less than the price on the menu (maybe because we were actually staying in the hotel, I'm not sure).

Bonus points: free wi-fi, complimentary beach chairs/umbrellas, and the "no-hassle" policy when it comes to patrons walking past their restaurant. If you've ever taken a walk down Ocean Drive at any time of the day you know exactly what I'm talking about; the barrage of haggling hosts/hostesses is one of the unfortunate drawbacks to an otherwise very cool area.

Overall I would recommend this place to anyone who doesn't want to settle for a boring, traditional hotel room. This hotel is what Miami Beach is all about - effortless style, exciting nightlife, European flair. Next time I come back (and who knows when that will be) I will definitely stay here again, no questions asked!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank senorgazpacho

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I would recommond this hotel to anyone whio is traveling to Miami ..Due to the location is perfect tourists friendly . The staff was courteous and very knowlegable of the areas hot spot . The staff was also warm amd friendly made me felt as if, i never left home . I was so impress I am already planning my next trip back. Guess where I am staying? HANDS DOWN "The Pelican " Miami Beach

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2010

My friend and I chose this hotel as the guide book recommended and we weren't disappointed.

The hotel is beautifully presented. All the rooms have different designs. Our room was called A Fortune In Aluminium and was gorgeous.

All the staff we met were incredibly helpful.

It is located opposite South beach with many bars and restaurants next door and nearby. Even though the outside of the hotel was buzzing you couldn't hear the noise from our room.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Just returned from the short stay in Miami Beach as a part of various holiday in US. The Pelican Hotel is one of our most bright impressions about this trip. The decorated and furnished in Art Deco located in the very heart of Art Deco district, this hotel offers enjoyable stay with short walks to the South beach and many Miami Beach attractions. Very friendly and cute front desk staff, nice service, interiors and the overall atmoshere create the absolute comfort for a pleasant stay. Never been to Miami Beach before this trip but will likely to stay this hotel our next visit sometime. The prices for rooms are rather not cheap but you will definitely get the value for money.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Clinton, MD
Reviewed 1 July 2010

My husband and I (mid-30's couple) stayed at the Pelican in an oceanfront suite for 4 nights. We'd stayed here years ago and were pleased to have another great stay. The staff was courteous and professional, hotel areas and room were clean and tastefully decorated, and the food in the restaurant was quite good. As mentioned in other reviews, the beach is just across the street and they provide the guests with umbrellas, beach chairs and beach towels daily. Another couple traveled with us and they loved their stay as well. The hotel's location is great as it's in the heart of the action, but you can escape it in your hotel room if you choose. We were able to relax or sleep in comfort and not hear the outside noise when in our room (and we were in the front of the hotel right on Ocean Drive...good soundproofing). Another impressive point for us was that the Pelican is one of the few hotels in that area that does not stand on the sidewalk and try to solicit people to eat at their restaurant. They have an established clientele and are comfortable with that. While every other hotel is shoving a menu at you and calling out the price of their "specials", the Pelican does not. You will easily find a few people dining throughout the day and a full crowd in the evening. Classy and true Art Deco!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traveling_md_mom
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Visited with my wife to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Stayed in an executive suite with a great view of the ocean. Location is superb in the heart of south beach. Staff is professional and firendly. Everyone knew who we were by the second day. Beach is just acrtoss the street and the hotel stay includes towels, beach chairs and an umbrella in an relatively uncrowded area of the beach. The hotel has a very european feel to it which we liked. The area where the hotel is located is noisy but you have to expect that given the hotel's location in the center of South Beach. Food was excellent in the restaurant. W will definitely return but we won't wait another 20 years to do so.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We stayed here for three nights, and LOVED the Pelican Hotel! It is right across the street from the beach, and one of their amenities is free beach lounges and umbrellas (a $38 value).

Our group had three rooms, and all the rooms were quirky, fun and very clean. Loved that they offered complimentary sparkling, still or one of each in your in-room fridge.

Previously I've stayed at the Royal Palms, but we wanted a more boutique (and less expensive) experience. We found a new favorite hotel in SoBe and look forward to staying with them again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family