“Great hotel in perfect location with excellent staff”
Review of Pelican Hotel

Pelican Hotel
Ranked #27 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Birmingham UK
“Great hotel in perfect location with excellent staff”
Reviewed 23 September 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights on returning from a Carribean cruise.
We arrived much too early to check in, but hoped we could at least drop our bags off and browse South Beach. No problem and they even offered us complimentery drinks whilst they checked to see if our room might be ready. Unfortunately our room wasn`t , although on return a hour later it was and our bags had been taken up.
Our room although not being particularly big was clean and wonderfully decorated in the Art Deco style reflecting the authenticity of the area. Although the 42" FST TV wasn`t quite in keeping with that style. We stayed in the Bamboo Room. (We also were a little disappointed to have not been allocated the best Wh******** room). The shower was fantastic with its large shower head. Theonly minor complaint was the bed being a little hard and lumpy. Also a great view out onto Ocean Drive and South Beach.
The Pelican also has its own private sun loungers and parasols on a prominent part of South Beach with towels provided at no extra cost to hotel patrons. Overall excellent friendly service from all members of staff and would happily recommend the hotel to anyone thinking of visiting South Beach.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eagle082

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2010

I had booked this hotel online for the first night of my stay in Florida; whilst I was there I ended up booking it again for the last night.

The first night I had room 312 (Power Flower) and the last night I had 211 (People from the 50's). I loved the way that both rooms were furnished and decorated with carefully chosen reclaimed items, this makes everything very individualistic.
The rooms were rather small (but perfectly adequate) and both beds seemed to sag very slightly in the middle (but I am used to a firm mattress).

One thing that did disappoint me slightly was that I was told that I was booked into the 'Best W***house' for my last night however when I checked in I was told that it was not available :-(

Minor gripes though. Generally a fabulous hotel with friendly staff in a really great location. Oh, they will also arrange nereby parking for you with a valet for $22/day.

The chocolate on the pillow is a lovely touch too!

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank DisplayID
Conway, Arkansas
Reviewed 4 August 2010

We had been planning a trip down to South Beach for about 5 months prior to our stay here, for our private destination wedding. I spent a couple of months browsing sites, comparing prices, etc. and hadn't found anything that really called out to me as "the place" we wanted to stay. Then, I stumbled upon a review from TripAdvisor about the Pelican, and within minutes I was sold!
Our experience here was nothing short of amazing!
The hotel is located conveniently on Ocean Drive, near an abundance of nightlife, shopping, dining, etc., all within comfortable walking distance. Anything further was merely a cheap taxi ride away!
The service here was very friendly, yet not overly intrusive. A manager was present and visible to the guests every time we were in the lobby, cafe, or bar area. Upon learning of our recent, minutes old, wedding on the beach, we were offered complimentary glasses of champagne and also a couple of t-shirts from the gift shop. We were very flattered by their attentiveness and warm response.
Each room of the hotel has a different theme, and ours was the Executive Fifties room. The ocean view was breathtaking, and the sliding windows made for a nice flow of fresh air into our room. The wood floors were a refreshing break from the normal abundance of carpet in most hotel rooms. The decor was era appropriate, kitschy, and fun. The bed was large (king) and a dream to sleep on. The suites were seemingly a bit pricey when I booked them, but after our stay, I can honestly say that the stay & room were a great value!

The Pelican Cafe is small, yet elegant and refreshing. Unlike many of the pushy, gimmicky restaurants & cafes along Ocean Dr, it is a quiet, yet inviting, oasis for passersby who have been hassled in their search for beach view dining. The food was nothing short of delectable. I recommend the Steak & Fries with the peppercorn caper sauce. The drinks are also delicious, I had my fill of Bellinis on our stay!

I would HIGHLY recommend staying here on your next trip to the South Beach/Miami area! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank discokitteh
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 1 August 2010

My husband, myself, and 2 friends visited Miami in June and stayed at the Pelican for 2 nights. The hotel staff is very polite and helpful. The rooms are top quality compared to other budget hotels in Miami. The rooms were clean and creatively decorated. This hotel is truly unique. Every room has a different theme. The best part of this hotel is that it is directly across the street from the beach and the hotel provides comfy padded beach chairs and umbrellas at no additional charge. I will definitely choose this hotel again on my next trip to South Beach.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joy012
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 July 2010

During my first visit to Miami Beach in 2004 I walked by this place many times, and even from the outside I knew it was somewhere I would want to stay in the future. Well that future finally came this weekend and I'm pleased to say the hotel completely lived up to my expectations.

The room we stayed in was admittedly tiny, but made up for it with great style and decor. I also love the wooden floors, would definitely take that over hotel carpet any day. The staff, most of whom I believe were Italian (judging from the accents and the fact that the hotel is owned by Diesel Jeans, an Italian company), attended to our every request without hesitation. The bartender kept the bar open late when we came back for a nightcap, made us amazing drinks and charged us less than the price on the menu (maybe because we were actually staying in the hotel, I'm not sure).

Bonus points: free wi-fi, complimentary beach chairs/umbrellas, and the "no-hassle" policy when it comes to patrons walking past their restaurant. If you've ever taken a walk down Ocean Drive at any time of the day you know exactly what I'm talking about; the barrage of haggling hosts/hostesses is one of the unfortunate drawbacks to an otherwise very cool area.

Overall I would recommend this place to anyone who doesn't want to settle for a boring, traditional hotel room. This hotel is what Miami Beach is all about - effortless style, exciting nightlife, European flair. Next time I come back (and who knows when that will be) I will definitely stay here again, no questions asked!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank senorgazpacho
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I would recommond this hotel to anyone whio is traveling to Miami ..Due to the location is perfect tourists friendly . The staff was courteous and very knowlegable of the areas hot spot . The staff was also warm amd friendly made me felt as if, i never left home . I was so impress I am already planning my next trip back. Guess where I am staying? HANDS DOWN "The Pelican " Miami Beach

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2010

My friend and I chose this hotel as the guide book recommended and we weren't disappointed.

The hotel is beautifully presented. All the rooms have different designs. Our room was called A Fortune In Aluminium and was gorgeous.

All the staff we met were incredibly helpful.

It is located opposite South beach with many bars and restaurants next door and nearby. Even though the outside of the hotel was buzzing you couldn't hear the noise from our room.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends