“Ridiculous small room. Abusive "upgrade" charge.”
Review of SLS South Beach

SLS South Beach
Ranked #37 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Rio de Janeiro
“Ridiculous small room. Abusive "upgrade" charge.”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The hotel has a beautiful design, a nice lobby and a really nice pool area. I had King room booked, and when I arrived at the hotel, my room was still ocuppied, so they offered me $50 per day to "upgrade" to a vacant room, with the argument that it was on a higher floor. As I had nowhere to go, I had to accept the "upgrade" offer, and as soon as I stepped on the room, the phone rang, and the front desk girl asked me if i found all good with the room. I replied that I was extremely disappointed with the size of the room, moreover after being charged + $50 per day.. The room has no space for you to walk without hitting the legs on the bed frame. The WC and the shower are not separated. There are no closets. You have to choose between opening your luggage on the flour or walking on the room. It's not worth the money they charge (my rate average was $400 with the 7 taxes they charged me.. resort fee. resort fee city and county taxes..) the Valet parking staff is very nice, but they charge you $44 per day, the most expensive in south beach.. STAY AWAY.

Room Tip: If you want to choose a good room, choose another hotel!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aleuram
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Aleuram, though your feedback is not positive I appreciate you taking the time to review SLS South Beach. I am slightly confused about the dissatisfaction on your stay as we tried very hard to accommodate all of your requests while you were here at the hotel. Your original reservation that you booked was for a superior ocean view king room which you came to check into at 8:48am. Usual check in time for any hotel on the beach is 3:00pm, as we were coming from an almost sold out night your room type was not available. However Pam our agent was able to offer you a premier ocean view room for the slight upgrade of $50 a night, which I feel is fair as the room usually sells for $200 more than you were paying. While we do not claim to have the biggest rooms on the beach, you can see from previous reviews our guests do not generally come to SLS South Beach for the oversized rooms. They come for the unique experience that we are able to provide, with amazing restaurants by James beard award winning chefs or to bounce between the tranquil guest pool to the upbeat Beach at Hyde. Unfortunately the taxes you paid are mandated by the state of Florida, which is out of the hotels control, also the $44 per day charge for Valet is comparable to any other valet at similar properties. The most surprising part of your review is that you mention the $50 upgrade charge which was kindly removed by Sinem one of our front office managers. With all this being said I would love for you to reach out to me personally so we can see where we got our wires tangles, as when you checked out you left in good spirits. Hopefully we can get you back to the hotel, as I would love to turn things around so you do not stay away.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and I just enjoyed an anniversary getaway at the SLS which was one of the greatest hotel/resort experiences we've ever had. Everything from the incredibly attentive staff, the epic dining experience at Bazaar, the serene bedrooms and nuanced ammenities like the complementary 7-series to drop us off for dinner (on the few instances we left the hotel) created an excellently curated experience. One of the really impressive features of the hotel is how they manage to run the equivalent of an all-day club at Hyde Beach with a lot of non-hotel guests but manage to keep that separate enough so that your don't really notice it when you're sitting at the hotel pool.

We've stayed at other hotels on Collins, but decided to try the SLS after having had a memorable dinner at Bazaar on a previous trip. After this weekend, there's no doubt that we'll only be staying at the SLS for future visits. While there are other nice hotels on the strip, the cohesive atmosphere and impeccable treatment by the staff make this place stand out.

One of the things we found most impressive is that while the hotel (and all of South Beach) was innundated with a Film Festival and the festivities for the Miami Heat's championship, the staff did not miss a beat on customer service. This really says something about the quality of management and the caliber of the people they hire at the SLS.

Thanks to everyone at the SLS that helped make this a truly memorable anniversary weekend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear Matt R, I thank you for choosing SLS South Beach to spend your anniversary; we hope to have you back for many more. We are very proud to have the Bazaar as one of our restaurants, Chef Jose Andres culinary inventions are amazing, I am very happy that you were able to experience his magical dishes. Although we cater to many celebrities and high end guests, we strive to treat every guest with the same warm welcoming hospitality and it brings me great pleasure that you felt this. Please feel free to reach out to me for future reservations so I can see to your arrangements personally.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2013

SLS.... what a fantastic hotel, was extremely pleased with my stay there, from the moment I checked in the aura around the place hit me, the staff were very friendly and the whole hotel is very classy, the restaurant ' Katsuya ' was amazing, and the bar area is really cool too, Hyde beach is fantastic and the pool party I attended on the Saturday was off the hook, there was a stunning young lady named ' Yajaira ' who was very helpful whenever I needed notice. I definitely recommend SLS I will be coming back for sure. Christiano

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, 22 June 2013
Dear Christiano P thank you for your kind words about SLS South Beach, the feedback is truly appreciated. It pleases me that you were able to experience some of our restaurants. We try to be a one stop shop for our guests, offering something for everyone. Whether it be a fine dining experience at The Bazaar, sushi at Katsuya or a party at Hyde Beach. With so many options we strive to make sure that our guest’s interactions at any of the venues are seamless. We look forward to welcoming you back soon the hotel soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Needed to get away from NYC for a few days. Decided to try the new SLS Miami. Wow, was I impressed. Check-in was warm and quick. I happened to be telling the front desk person about coming from NYC, and two managers there were from NYC as well and took time to talk to me. They gave me some good advice for some restaurants and things to do. Got a call later to check on me and see if I needed anything. Staff also remembered my name during my stay, always love that.

Room was nice and quiet. The restaurants and pool area were very happening throughout my stay as well. Def check that out when you stay at sls.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review SLS South Beach, reviews such as these make us very proud as we strive dailey to over deliver on customer service and hospitality. Being that South Florida has numerous boutique hotels, our goal at SLS is to separate ourselves from the competition by offering service levels that are second to none. We hope to invite you back to south beach soon so you can enjoy SLS once again.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We traveled to South Beach for our friend's bachelor party. The truly great thing about the SLS - you don't have to go anywhere else, as long as you don't mind spending the money. Katsuya has amazing Sushi, on a par with some of the best NYC has to offer. The Bazaar has some great food as well.
The partnership with Hyde clubs makes this place a serious party scene on the weekends. The Hyde club has it's own pool (even though they are on the same grounds as the hotel). If you stay at the hotel, it is free to hang out there, but everything else comes at a stiff price. You can hang out at the hotel pool for free and just walk over there to check out the crazy scene. The Hyde club is also one of the best night club scenes as well, so as a group, we rarely left the SLS hotel grounds. Just be prepared to spend $20 on mixed drinks & burgers are the same price. If money isn't a worry, this is perfect.
The service took much longer than you would like & you will never get a stiff drink.
I will say, there beds are extremely comfortable & the overhead waterfall shower helps rejuvenate the body & mind.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shamuski
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear Shamuski, your honest feedback is greatly appreciated as these types of reviews allow us to grow and get better as a hotel. I would like to firstly apologize for the slow service while at the bar, I will be sure to address this topic with management. I am glad that you did not feel the need to leave the property and experienced all of our venues. We truly believe we are a one stop shop for all of our guests offering enough exciting activities so you really never have to leave whilst in Miami. We certainly do cater to the discerning affluent guest looking for an out of the box experience whilst in Miami, it pleases me that you were able to enjoy all the things we have to offer at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to SLS Hotel South Beach in the near future.

Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I recently completed a three day stay at the SLS Hotel South Beach. First, I would give this hotel a B. The vibe and décor are amazing. The service is above average, with some improvements necessary for this property to be exceptional. I will first talk about the positives. The hotel is beautiful. The rooms are small, but I would suggest asking for a room on a higher floor and a corner room, to get a little more space. The rooms don't have closets, and I thought this would be a problem, however, it really wasn't. The mirror on the ceilings, is a nice funky touch. The bathroom, why small, I must say the shower, the overhead rain shower, was absolutely the best I experience in a hotel in some time. The water pressure was good and it literally feels like you are in the middle of a pleasant rain shower. The restaurant venues are outstanding. The Bazaar is eclectic and Katusya is wonderful. Now to the pool and Hyde Lounge. LaTecia at the pool was extremely pleasant, insightful, and cordially. She will try to accommodate every guests needs. Tito, the beach attendant, also was very helpful. Johnny, pool attendant, always makes sure that you have enough water in the south Florida heat. One thing you must know. The hotel has two pools, however, on Sundays, the second pool, Hyde is reserved for parties. While you can attend, if you would like a pool chair, it would cost you a minimum of $350. They don't make this clear upfront, and it could affect your perception of this property. A nice touch that the property has, are two 7-series BMW's as house cars, where you can use for a ride within a 3-mile radius of the property. While you can't reserve it, you can check with the front desk when you need to go some where.

Now to the negative. My second day at the property, I had to call the front desk on three separate occasions to receive 2 washcloths and body lotion. This was very disappointing service. I don't blame the front desk because after my first request, upon leaving my room, I heard the front desk clerk on the walkie talkie asking for the items to be sent to my room. This was clearly a housekeeping issue, as was my second issue was not having my room cleaned until 4:45 PM. This was clearly unacceptable and no reason was given to me why this occurred.

Overall, I enjoyed this property and I would definitely stay at this property again. They just need to fine tune some items and it will even be better.

Room Tip: Request high floors and corner rooms for more space. Pool front villas will incur noise from Hyde B...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thanks so much for your honest feedback about your recent stay at SLS Hotel South Beach. Based on your comments, I will be following up with the necessary department’s to ensure that we learn from our mistakes so we can provide a flawless experience for your future visits to South Beach. It is always our top priority to guarantee that you enjoy the best Miami has to offer, in boutique luxury and comfort. I am glad that you were able to experience all of our venues. Thank you for the kind words about Le Tecia she is a great asset to the hotel, I will be sure to share the feedback. We hope we get the chance to welcome you back again soon and sincerely thank you for taking the time to write your very helpful review.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I live in Miami but often stay in the hotels because some of the most wow hotels in the world are right here on the beach - The Setai, Delano, W, Fontainbleau, The Tides, Mondrian, etc. But among all of these, the SLS is par none the sikkest, most enchanting, most over the top, phenomenal hotel in Miami.

Somehow the staff in the lobby all seem to remember your name every time you step off the elevator. How?! They remember what you like, what you said three days ago - off the cuff comments and they seem to remember everything said by every guest.

The decor has some similarities to the SLS Beverly Hills but definitely incorporates a Miami element. No one seem s quite to be able to tell me the exact decor style they use in their hotels - the flowing curtains, the chandeliers, the simple, minimal use of color, especially white and silver but sort of a melange look too. Its so unique and beautiful that im trying to reproduce that decor in my own home. I've noticed that Forever 21 has ripped off that look as well recently and kudos to them for knowing a good thing when they see it.

I dont typically rave about food, but the sushi is so sumptuous that I often dine at the SLS even tho I'm not staying there.

24 hour room service is a lifesaver. Seriously. And so few hotels do this. Getting whatever i want when I want it is just how life goes at the SLS.

My highest compliments to the entire staff. Im totally blown away.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, 22 June 2013
Dear Arik_Katzenbe, your feedback on SLS Hotel South Beach is greatly appreciated. It pleases me that you were able to enjoy your stay-cation at our little boutique on the beach. The staff tries very hard to remember every guest name as we try to make every interaction a personal and organic one. It brings me great pleasure that you felt the warm welcome from all of the staff, I will be sure to share the feedback. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon, and that you make SLS your home away from home.