“Pretentious NOT!”
Review of SLS South Beach

SLS South Beach
Ranked #40 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Just got home after a couple of nites at the SLS in South Beach. Overall a great stay from check-in to departure. Received an upgrade to a great room. All staff I encountered were friendly n the food at Katsuya was superb! The bar upstairs allowed us to encounter Deborah G. She not only allowed us to sample some great apps but thru her service we ended up coming back that evening for dinner in the restaurant! The pool attendant (Gomes?!?, my apologies if I got the name wrong) not only was friendly but we met him working later at Hyde and he was a great host! No more Surfcomber or Epic, we found SLS and will be back!! Thank you for a great stay!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank TorontoJourneyman
Caroline D, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

We can’t wait to have you back, TorontoJourneyman! What an awesome review! And I love your title, btw. It’s wonderful to hear that you had such an all-around great time and that Deborah opened the door for a truly superb evening in Katsuya and beyond. We will definitely high five Gomes for you and tell him to keep it up. – it’s what he loves to do! Thank you so much and we do hope to have you come visit soon!

There are newer reviews for SLS South Beach

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I usually stay at the Delano in South Beach. They have had my business for over 10 years. I decided to stay at the SLS this last trip in May 2014 on the recommendation of a friend. From the moment I called to make the reservation I started to notice how helpful the hotel staff was. They recommended a different type of room for what my needs were. Very appreciative of that. Then Robert Tate (concierge) was extremely helpful in making transportation arrangements for me and a friend at different airports, as well as finding basketball tickets and great dinner reservations. At check in Yomaira Munive was extremely personable and gave that great service one comes to expect but has been lost by some upscale hotels. Realizing I had never stayed there before, she gave me a tour of the hotel and amenities. At this point I'm starting to get impressed by the service. As the trip continued the experience got better and better. I had to stay an extra night due to meetings I had and Justin Henry was able to accommodate me again and Vicky Reyes (concierge) was able to get me some great reservations for dinner last minute as well. Anything I asked for or needed so far was taken care of immediately.

Then the clincher, on the day I was supposed to check out, my friend traveling with me got extremely sick. I called down to the concierge for help and Vicky Reyes (concierge) worked miracles to change both our flights and transportation. She also offered a doctor if needed and sent out for anything we needed to help my friend feel better. Justin Henry stepped in to reserve the same room for another night at a slight discount. They could have easily gouged me since it was the weekend and I had to stay, but again, they found a way to accommodate my stay. As the day progressed, Vicky kept calling and checking up on us. All that service meant so much to me. I know they have other high end clients spending much more money than I did, but I felt like I was the only one they were attending to. I have found my new hotel in South Beach and will now be giving them all my business. That type of service from beginning to end is priceless. The SLS South Beach should be extremely proud of the service and professionalism of their employees. Hats off to you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank JZapata_12

Hat’s off to you too, JZapata_12! Thank you for such an outstanding review. Our team takes great pride in not only personalizing every stay, but offering assistance whatever the situation. I truly appreciate your naming Robert, Vicky, Yomaira and Justin by name as well. It is great to know that the genuine care that you felt from our team resonated and we are incredibly fortunate to have team members like these working with us! Again, I can’t thank you enough for such a glowing review. I can’t wait to welcome you back personally to SLS!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

In between midnight and 5 am We had a total of $900 cash stolen out of 3 separates hidden wallets in the room. Reported to security as well as Miami PD. Hotel treated all 4 of us very poorly. We kept being told to be patient that the investigation would take time by Sls hotel staff. Sls is one of the nicest and most expensive hotels in the area and their customer service was completely unacceptable. After we reported the incident, most of our Saturday ruined.. We were told security would be back to our room to update us which he never came back nor the manager never reached out to even apologize. They offered to buy our breakfast before we left only after we asked what they could do to help us out. We were the ones to call the manager and security during this dilemma.. They never came to us once. I advise to stay next door at the Delano. Regardless of who or how someone came in our room inbetween those early am hours it is wrong and we should have been compensated by a hotel of such high caliber. Someone dug through all of our personal belongings and on top of that it is very unsafe. All of the girls involved on the trip are masters prepared healthcare
professionals and we were treated with complete disrespect by the SLS staff. STAY AWAY from this hotel and find one who values customer service!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
6  Thank SLShasthieves
Caroline D, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear SLShasthieves,
Thank you for your feedback. We take all comments posted very seriously and apologize that though the team has reached out and been in contact with you multiple times, you have not felt cared for through the course of our investigation. We are indeed still conducting an investigation that includes research by the Miami Police Department. As with any investigation when there is a question of definitive proof resolution takes a bit longer to achieve. We hope the good faith gesture of the sizable room credit granted upon departure shows our commitment to ensuring you feel as though we are doing what we can while awaiting resolution. We understand there is a strong sense of urgency will be in contact with you as soon as we are able to determine what occurred.
Caroline

Reviewed 16 June 2014

My friends and I stayed in most of the beautiful Hotels around South Beach. This time we chose to stay at the W, but decided as usual, to go to Hyde Beach for Sunday's pool party. This French touched party was really enjoyable and the Brunch was DELICIOUS ! From the sea food platter to the French toasts, Jose Andres did once again a wonderful job at mixing Spanish flavors to breakfast items! Our table, located in the garden, was taken care of by Shayn and Ben. Shayn, our waiter was knowledgeable from A to Z and helped us to choose our breakfast items with great recommendations. The professionalism and reactivity of Ben were impressive. When we sat down, we just had time to realize the wobbly table, that he was already coming back to fix it. After our first round of drink was served, he read our facial expression from the other side of the garden before offering us another round of drink free of charge as we were not satisfied with the first one. I would have never thought about finding true hospitality in such a place. I told him I would go out of my way to write this review as I usually only use tripadvisor to read comments. Our next stay will be at SLS!

Room Tip: Ask for Shayn
1  Thank Serge M

Serge M, you are the best! Thank you for the wonderful acknowledgements. Can’t wait to see you again!

Reviewed 14 June 2014

If you want to escape NYC and enjoy 2 days in Miami: This is the spot! I stayed there during the week, the hotel in great shape, well maintained and the staff is amazing: from the Bazaar to the beach, they were attentive and dedicated. Leo and Priya, at the front desk, were amazing and very helpful with nice recommendations. Benjamin at the Hyde Beach Club was very attentive and friendly. Discovered SBE group and looking forward to the new one in Vegas!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

What a great review, Pierre C! Thank you for the fantastic shout out! Can’t agree with you more that Leo and Priya are amazing and I am so glad you were wel taken care of throughout your time with us. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We lived at the Shore Club but decided to check out the Hyde Beach Night Club on Friday night. We first went to dinner at Katsuya, and after down to Hyde Beach. Very nice atmosphere and a very helpful staff. Our host David was very professional and he recommended us to come back for the pool party on Saturday. We did and had a fantastic time. I will absolutely recommend this place to others. If possible ask for David and he will do what he can to make this an awesome time for you and your friends.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We've stayed all over South Beach and this hotel ranks up there.

Rooms are very small but really all you need when in South Beach. There is not a lot of storage space in the room or bathroom! We had a corner room facing the city so it was private and quiet. The club/bar at the SLS is towards the beach so the villas/ocean front rooms can a little noisy at night.

There are cabanas at the hotel pool (not the pool party pool) for guests and they are free of charge and first come first serve. As the weather was iffy when we were there, we loved this. We were able to sit outside and stay dry while it was raining. We also ventured back to the pool party one day and hung out at the bar. It was a quieter day and the cost of a chair didn't quite seem worth it. As the sun was in/out, the pool was never very crowded.

We aren't really fans of the food at the Bazaar but did enjoy Katsuya.

Great location on Collins and easy to get anywhere in South Beach.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the positive review, plush366! I love that you are still thinking about us all these months later. Thank you as well for saying we rank up there with the finest of SoBe! We do our best to impress and it sounds like your fun time with us did just that. Hope to see you soon!