“Great hotel, fab staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, fab staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had a great weekend at the SLS and Hyde beach, looked after expertly for 3 days. Great food, bars and fantastic pool party on the Saturday. Special thanks to Yahydeah, Grace and Amanda who took great care of us. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Sam D
Caroline D, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you so much, Sam D! We love hearing that the team took such wonderful care of you – especially at Hyde Beach. Nothing like a team of people specifically dedicated to keeping you happy & well hydrated, right? Come back and see us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Should never have spent so much money on this hotel. Top top top dollar and not even a cupboard in the room. There was a rack with the mini-bar and a gown, but nowhere to hang clothes and a desperate lack of surface space. Nowhere to put even a make-up bag and no light to put on make-up even if I had the space to do it. The room is spacious enough for one person at a push. Pity for us, we were 3. Room still ended up the most pricy of our whole American tour - from Westins in New York and Boston and the St Regis in Washington, D.C. Room wasn't cleaned by 1pm when we came back to drop off shopping after breakfast.

Most bizarre: I left my iPad behind when we left. It was hidden behind the curtains because the only surface available was a windowsill. I called the hotel from the airport to let them know that the guy from Supershuttle was turning around to come and fetch it for me. The SLS could only arrange a shipping to my home address in South Africa at a price, so I paid our shuttle guy to go and fetch my iPad instead. The SLS wanted emails from me identifying the guy and a pic of my passport. All organization from MY side. All SLS did was fetch my iPad and keep it at the desk for the shuttle guy to collect. Here's the kicker: SLS emailed me afterwards and asked me to come on trip advisor to review their great service in helping me recover my iPad. I did everything. I made the arrangements. I paid the guy. What exactly am I thanking you for, SLS?

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank J G
Dear J G,
Thank you for taking the time to review SLS South Beach. We take every comment to heart and appreciate the opportunity to resolve your concerns. I am sorry you found the rooms to be too small and inconvenient for you and your travelling partners. Yes, space is a premium in our historic building and we do our best to make the rooms feel larger with open closets and artfully placed ledges to maximize modern comfort in a cozy setting. In addition, I apologize you did not feel as though our service levels were up to par – especially concerning the return of your iPad. Please understand given the amount of theft in this day and age, we were only trying to verify that you were you and that you were indeed authorizing that someone else could pick up an item worth over a few hundred dollars. After all was resolved and your iPad retrieved by a very kind driver, our team reached out for a TripAdvisor review as you stated your stay was lovely and we were hoping you would share your sentiments. Lastly, in regards to cleaning, room refresh typically takes place up until 5pm, so we do ask our guests to specify if an earlier time is desired.
We appreciate your staying with us and wish you the happiest of travels for the future!
Caroline
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel tops them all. The building is modern and very upmarket, situated perfectly on South Beach. It boasts beautiful pools and bar areas and serves the best oriental dinner I have experienced in years. But, and I mean but, this is nothing compared to the friendliness and efficiency of its personnel. You have warm people and then you have a step above the personnel of SLS. Nothing is too much effort for them, not even to drive me over to where I picked up my rental car (I asked for a taxi and they offered to take me).
The only issue I had was with the room sizes. My room was very small, but once you get used to it you just enjoy the hotel. I had a perfect view on the beach and pool.
This was my first encounter of the SLS group and not the last.

Room Tip: The beach and sea view is awesome
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Hennie H
Caroline D, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
YOU are the best, Hennie H! Thank you so much for the 5 stars and the glowing review. Our team loves making a difference to our guests and I am so glad you experienced their genuine friendliness and willingness to make your stay with us special. Can’t wait to have you back with us again! Come back soon!
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Everyone who worked at the SLS was so friendly, attentive and made my stay perfect.

If you have to time to lounge at the bar/lounge by the pool (Bar Centro) and want something sweet to eat, try the key lime pie...the absolute best I've ever had. I had it everyday that I was there!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Ryan F
Caroline D, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
In a word…your review is great!! Thank you so much for the five stars, Ryan F! So glad you enjoyed your time with us. And I agree, the key lime pie is absolutely beyond. See you again soon!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed at SLS from 7/3 to 7/7/2014, My choice was based upon the "reputation" the SLS group has, however for 4 days I can say I did NOT experience anything near a high end hotel experience.From the beginning and thoughout the staff was not very firendly and not at a level of courteousness that i would experience at the Mandarin oriental or Ritz on sobe, where I usually stay. Secondly, my tv had a problem with the remote, the engineering team was in my room 3 times in ne day, took up over 1.5 hours of my sleep time while they attempted to "fix " issue by switching tv's remotes etc,. Ironically i figured the issue was where i placed my cell phone on a table with mirror backing it was blocking the remote's near field communications. I asked for a room change , received a blunt no and was really aggravted. Next, I had to call for towels after room service cleaned room and didnt put fresh towels in the room, that took 2 hours to receive and was told by cleaning person that there were no towels on my floor available. The WIFI fservice was a poor signal and very slow which was frustratiing as I was not be able to work from my room with a limited bandwith. I have other issues that are my own personal preferences that i wont elucidate on here, but overall this was kind of experience that i would expect from a lower cost property and certainly not a plesant experience for a room that costs about 650 bucks a night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank stephen s
Dear stephen s,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We take every comment posted very seriously and want to ensure you find resolution after departing our hotel if you did not experience it on property. I apologize that you did not feel our services met your standards. We strive to ensure every guest has a wonderful time with us and at least finds the team courteous, caring and supportive. I am sorry you did not feel this was the case. I would love to address the concerns you voiced here as well as the ones you were not comfortable posting. Please contact me at caroline.dyal@slshotels.com so we may review further.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Best,
Caroline
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My sons surprised me with a 3 day weekend trip to Miami Beach to celebrate my birthday. I was informed that we would be staying at the SLS and, admittedly, I was concerned that the hotel’s reputation for catering towards the young adult crowd would not accommodate a family group with ages ranging from 9 to 60 year olds; however, I quickly realized that the hotel was professional, service oriented, and accommodating for all. In short, we all had a wonderful time.
When you arrive, the first impression that you get is that the hotel is ready to roll out the red carpet. In fact, you literally walk on a red carpet up the stairs to the front door where the staff greeted us with a warm welcome. My 9 year old grandson was wearing a super hero t-shirt and was greeted with "Welcome Captain America." This event marked the first of many wonderful surprises that were meaningful and brought smiles to our faces.
We immediately went to check in to unload our luggage. Jamie at the front desk was efficient and cordial. We were a few hours early and our rooms weren’t ready so Jamie recommended brunch at the Bazaar.
Needless to say, we had brunch at The Bazaar. The food for the brunch by Chef Jose Andres was a culinary experience, a journey filled with a delicious and abundant selection. The choices of food ranged from caviar and omelets to pancakes and waffles. And the desserts….who could resist?!?! Our waiter Guillermo was courteous and a wealth of information about the hotel and the area. During the rest of our stay, he always said hello when our paths crossed and assisted with any questions.
After brunch, we went to our rooms which were now ready. We were pleasantly surprised when a bottle of champagne with a hand written card was waiting for us in the room. We later deduced that Jamie at the front desk had discovered it was my birthday after asking my sons for the reason of our trip.
We had dinner at Katsuya, which is located in the hotel. The restaurant had a great ambience with elegant décor and appropriate lighting! Our waitress Kate may have been new on the job; however, it would have gone unnoticed because of her knowledge of the menu and great suggestions. She played a large role in enhancing our dinner experience from the warm greeting to serving us fabulous food. It was truly a wonderful experience.
The rooms had stylish modern decor with a beautiful view of the ocean. They were small; however, they reminded me of my years living in Japan, where space is scarce and has to be used efficiently. It’s quite surprising the vast amount of amenities tucked away in the room. Anything that wasn’t tucked away (i.e. we needed extra pillows) was just a request away. The robes were soft and luxurious and so were their linens. The Wi-Fi had a strong signal anywhere in the hotel which is always a plus.
I recommend using the text option when using valet to request the car about 15 minutes beforehand. Otherwise, it takes minimum 10 minutes to get your car and valet can get extremely busy. Depending on what time of the season you go, you may be waiting in the heat if you don't request the car pickup beforehand.
I did notice that the young adults were having a great time during the pool parties. It seemed like no matter the demographic, everyone was having fun. We all had a wonderful experience and SLS really does stand for Style, Luxury, and Service, with the service way beyond my expectations.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank jeropin
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed at SLS this past weekend and could not be happier with our stay!! The staff was extremely hospitable and friendly. The pool party Sunday was one to go down in the books! Vicki went out of her way to find us some props for their Cowboy and Indian themed party which we thought was so nice. Everyone greeted us with smiling faces and went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we could need or want. Even at checkout, the front desk woman offered us a ride to our rental car station. Even though it was only 6 blocks up the road, the ride in SLS's BMW 750 M series far outweighed any other mode of transportation! We travel to Miami to escape NYC hustle and bustle and we will be staying at SLS for future visits. Thanks for making our trip so fabulous! -Alexis and Luke

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple