W South Beach
The Betsy - South Beach(Miami Beach)
US$518
US$466
Official Site
US$496
US$421
  • Pool
Fontainebleau Miami Beach(Miami Beach)
US$376
US$341
US$528
US$367
  • Beachfront
Mondrian South Beach Hotel(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$234
US$204
  • Pool
Grand Beach Hotel(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$193
  • Pool
Eden Roc Miami Beach Resort(Miami Beach)
US$337
US$321
  • Beachfront
The Palms Hotel & Spa(Miami Beach)
US$261
US$227
  • Pool
Shore Club South Beach Hotel(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$269
US$250
  • Pool
SLS South Beach(Miami Beach)
US$416
US$371
Travelocity
3,921 results
All reviewsoasis suitemr choww insiderbliss spadutch restaurantsouth beachmega suitebliss productshospitality suitespg platinumpool arealiving roomhigh floorbeautiful hotelpool stafflate checkoutocean view
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The W South Beach is absolutely beautiful. Our room was tastefully decorated with gorgeous furniture and interesting pieces. We stayed on an upper floor and had an amazing view of the sea and beach. It's a bit further down than some of the other hotels, but we found the walk enjoyable and looked forward to it each evening.

Tipping the cabana boys is essential to getting a good spot by the pool, especially if you aren't lounging there every day at the crack of dawn. But the pool is also very nice.

The W is of course expensive, especially for the pool drinks which are mostly ice (but hey, it's hot in Miami!) Breakfast was also pricey, but delicious.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to learn that you loved your room, the views and the pool at W South Beach! We find our pricing to be comparable to the other luxury hotels in the area as we are always reviewing pricing and options in the area to stay on par with South Beach hotels of our caliber.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 15 February 2012

We had a free Starwood night, which we used to stay here. The room was very comfortable and clean. We arrived at the hotel early and had to wait to get a room. The staff gave us access to a room where we could change into swimsuits and wait by the pool until our room was ready. The pool area was so crowded that no chairs were available. The staff kept a list of those waiting for chairs and would call guests when something opened up. There were plenty of chairs available on the beach, where the W had a private area with staff/waiters standing by.

The brunch at Mr. Chow's was expensive, but very good. The chefs made omelettes and waffles on demand and there were plenty of fresh pastries available.

We were able to get into our room before the official check-in time, which we appreciated. We were given a large, beautiful suite on a top floor, which had a view of the beach. The suite was 1 bedroom/2 bathroom and had a living room and kitchenette. We wish we could have stayed longer, since the room was so luxurious.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Although there are a limited number of chairs around the main pool, we do our best to accomodate our guests by offering our mini VIP pool, which is a quiet Oasis just steps from the main pool. We also have the beautiful sands of Miami Beach as well as the Lawn Area. Please let us know the next time you visit so we can accomodate you. We are otherwise happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.

W SoBe Management

Reviewed 14 February 2012

I loved staying here. I used to visit Miami Beach often, and I have stayed in a few other hotels. This trip was our first vacation as a couple and we spent an amazing long weekend at the W South Beach. We arrived very early in the day so we had to wait for a long time to check in, but like I said, we did arrive very early. Once we were let into our room, it was so beautiful. We didn't even want to leave the room. We stayed in either a wonderful or spectacular studio (can't remember exactly because they seemed the same in the description when we booked.) If we came back, we would want to try one of their suites. The noise level was fine, and we didn't hear a peep from anyone staying around us. (Shore Club on the other hand was VERY loud when we stayed there, and you could hear every step on the tile/marble in the hallways.) We played music pretty loudly in our room with no complaints every night before we went out. The outdoor bar near the pool was great to relax and have a few drinks before going out at night. The bartenders are very friendly and informative, maybe more so than the concierge (sorry! :P). And the drinks they made were amazing! I can't remember what it's called, but there's a drink made with papaya and something spicy, and it's so delicious, I would have one right now! Staying in the hotel makes it easy to go to Wall, the club located inside. It's pretty neat. Low-key and worth getting a table at (as there isn't really anything else to do there if you don't) and also the decor and lights are worth seeing. The pool area gets exciting at night, and the crowd was pretty mixed (age-wise) but all classy and friendly people. In the morning, we went down to reserve chairs super early in the morning, which you MUST do if you want to lay out at all, but once you do, it's yours as long as you stay at the pool. Or you can buy a daybed, and as I remember the rates were pretty reasonable (but you'd have to call and check for yourself.) The Setai is right across the way, which is also a great hotel to check out for drinks , and is easily within walking distance. The shopping and dining on Lincoln is also walking-distance away, about 5 blocks. But we are big on walking, so if you're not, you can just hail a cab. On the other side is the Gansevoort, with Louis Bar inside (Opium group) also worth checking out! I was sad when it was time to check out and I can't wait to go back.
Oh I almost forgot, there is the cutest little store inside that sells plenty of cover-ups, suits, heels, jewelry, and lots of other random stuff that you will want to pick up while you're there :) at least I did!

Room Tip: If you can book a room that directly faces the ocean than (obviously) that would be ideal, but all the rooms have ocean view, and if you look at my uploaded pics, you'll see it's not too shabby being on either side.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank samd310

Dear Guest,

What a wonderful review, thank you! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay, looks like you tried out all venues in our hotel! Next time you can choose from one of 15 different room types...ride the jet skiis, go parasailing, or even treat yourself to an in room spa service!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

W South Beach Management

Reviewed 13 February 2012

I recently stayed in the W South Beach for a work conference and was very disappointed with facilities. Wifi signal which you have to pay for was vey weak, there is no cell phone coverage in the rooms and my handset phone in the room did not work. The gym is poor and the spa was also disappointing. Art in the lobby impressive much more so than the clientel that frequents it at night!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We are sorry to learn that your stay was less than exceptional. Regretfully we do experience WiFi and Cell Coverage Challenges due to the heavy structural design of the building. We are currently working with all major cell carriers to increase the signal strength by adding more towers in the building, which we hope to have completed by the end of 2012. If your travels bring you back to Miami Beach, please contact me in advance and I will ensure an exceptional experience.

Reviewed 10 February 2012

To start, the hotel is beautiful. Very well appointed, great design, great feel. Unfortunately, that is about the extent of what went well at the hotel during my visit. The service, from check-in, thoughout my stay, and departure was bar none the worst I have encountered. I was shocked. Even worse, such service is delivered under the constant reminder of “Whatever, Whenever” (the hotel motto). I guess I incorrectly assumed that was from the guests point of view…not the insolent staff.

- Check-in. I arrived early (12-12:30 range), and I recognize stated check-in is not until 4pm. However, front desk staff did a horrible job of expectation management. “You’re gold, so we’ll give you priority…it won’t be much longer”. We got strung along *all* afternoon. I had to check with the front desk numerous times. I finally (~3:30pm) talked to a concierge who was helpful and relayed that our room had been ready, but they were waiting on it to be signed off on by a manager. “They are going up stairs right now and you’ll have your room in the next 5 minutes.” 30 minutes later (now after the 4pm guaranteed check-in time), I go back to the front desk. Once again more empty apologies, but the room isn’t ready. Just have a seat and we’ll call you. I pushed to the point to speak to Christopher (Front Desk Manager). He said he’d personally take care of it. Which he did. I was in my room around 4:30 pm. He said he would credit my account with 5000 starpoints for the inconvenience, which to date has not arrived. Yes, I’m still waiting.

- Also, I was not alone in this experience. I saw several other people get the same run around.

- Housekeeping. I left my room around noon on Monday (1/30) for the day and did not return until 5pm range. The room was *never* cleaned. However the staff was “nice” enough to come into the room (which I could tell because the room service tray was gone) and then leave my door unlocked (not fully closed) without doing another thing. Really? Next time, if they don’t plan on cleaning the room, do me a favor and don’t just come by to unlock my door for the rest of the hotel.

- Pool. (although this extends beyond the pool). Clearly the W hotel is a condo building first, and the hotel guests are an afterthought. That was made clear many times over. However the pool was the most striking. For a hotel of that size, there really is not that much pool seating, and given the trees, even fewer that have any sun exposure. It’s shocking the number of chairs than remained reserved and empty (all day long) for the “hotel owners”. Really? That much of the seating is left untouched the majority of the time, while you stick your guests in random (shady) corners?

- Living Room Bar. Minor in comparison, but again another bad experience. I had some drinks and food on Tuesday afternoon. The “food” (popcorn!) took almost 30 minutes. I had to interrupt the bartenders form their chit chat twice to make anything happen.

- Check out. Asked for a late check out (as a gold member). Was told no chance, as the hotel was full and they need to have the rooms turned for the next guests to check in. However I was told the exact opposite when I checked in. I couldn’t check-in because so many guests had late check out. Which is it??? Apparently neither for me.

Overall a very bad experience. You even failed on the one concession made by the Front Desk Manager to award some starwood points in return for our inconvenience.

The W South Beach has a ways to go to be of the caliber of what I have experienced at other W Hotels.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank lennyorange

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to learn that you had various expecations while with us. I investigated your folio and I did verify that Chris requested and posted the 5,000 points into your account during your visit. We do our best to turn the guestrooms around as quick as possible and I am sorry that you were challenged with a late check in, and I also apologize for the lack of service you recieved from our housekeeping staff.

I also want to apologize that you endured challenges in getting a chair at the pool. Although seating is limited around the main pool, we have various alternative options available to guests, including a smaller "quiet" pool, the Lawn, and the beach. As we are a 100% residence hotel, we do have many individuals who have purchased units within the builidng, and included with the purchase of a unit is residence seating at the pool. This area is just a small area near the cabans, which is available for residence use all day every day. The majority of the seating around the main pool and cabanas are available for guest use at any time.

We do value or SPG Gold, Platinum, and VIP guests, and I apologize for the late check out confusion between check in and check out. We do our best to accomodate our SPG guests based on the hotel's availability and the specs of the program.

Thanks again for sharing details of your visit. Please reach out to us before your next visit so we can ensure to exceed your expectations on your next visit.