“Hotel or Nightclub…the bass kept me up till 5am.”
Review of W South Beach

W South Beach
Ranked #12 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Miami Beach, Florida
“Hotel or Nightclub…the bass kept me up till 5am.”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

They need to decide if they want to be a hotel or a nightclub…the thumping of the bass from the club kept me awake until 5am. I stayed in a beautiful suite a couple of months ago for a work event. The room, grounds, food, drink, staff, were all amazing and I really liked the hotel. What I did not like, or expect, was the nightclub that got going a few floors below me at about midnight. I can typically sleep through anything, but the thumping of the bass was so annoying that I tossed and turned until about 5am. It was horrible and certainly something you should not have to deal with when you are paying over $600 for a room.

I recommend the hotel – just make sure to get a room that is far away from the nightclub!

Room Tip: Make sure you are far from the nightclub.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank kiwi-33333
WSoBe, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Guest,

We're so sorry to hear about the noise you encountered. Next time, we'll be sure to accommodate you with a room away from WALL so you can get your beauty rest. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Amaury Piedra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed at the W hotel in south beach and I loved the hotel, especially because this italian girl took care of me and my family, Gaby Di falco, she did everything perfect for us and went beyond her duty to make us happy, thanks for all Gaby!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review! Gaby is one of our expert Insiders, and we are so happy to hear she made your stay even more enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My first time staying at this hotel, although I did stay at the W Ft. Lauderdale beach, with similar results. The W South Beach is a 20 story building which is also a W Residence. Hence, it does not follow the protocols of the Starwood hotel group and does not recognize Platinum status benefits such as 4:00 p.m. checkout. The pool and grounds are well maintained, the valet service is efficient ($37 overnight) and you are just 100 yards from the beautiful Miami Beach. The boardwalk connects to Lummus Park or you can walk down Collins Avenue. On my 9th floor room, I could hear the traffic from the street, especially from the horns of the taxis and people partying all night long.

The lobby area was comfortable with many couches and chairs. Off the lobby is a small shop, eatery, and bar. I heard the restaurant is excellent. Plainclothes hotel security officers were present all day near the entrance.

The large screen HDTV in the room was nice, as was the large balcony and bathroom.

This is a Category 7 hotel, so I was expecting something wonderful as I stay at least 60 nights a year in hotels, mostly Starwood hotels. Except for the excellent
location, this is just another very good hotel on South Beach. If I had a quieter room, a suite, and a 4:00 p.m. checkout, perhaps I would go again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PAQ
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We do apologize for your expectations not being met. In the future, we would be happy to provide with with sound-canceling earbuds, should the hustle and bustle of South Beach become distracting. We hope you will consider W South Beach for future stays, and look forward to welcoming you back then.

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed at the W from Thursday through Sunday and really enjoyed the property, staff and the beach. Ask for Diego at the concierge desk. He did an excellent job of setting up our transportation and dinners. I highly recommend him. Our room on the lower penthouse floor was really nice. Unfortunately, the hanging decoration turned into a wind chime at night when the air kicked on and we were trying to sleep. I tied my cell phone charger around it and the problem was solved. We will definitely stay at this property again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We're so happy you chose W South Beach as your warm weather escape! We'll be right here whenever you need another tropical getaway.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the W, but we must admit, we did not reside in the hotel as much as we usually stay to enjoy amenities at hotels. The other caveat is that there was construction occurring on the "better" residence side of the hotel. Originally we hastily took a room on the 5th floor (because our room was not ready yet) and it was overlooking a parking lot and had a sliver of an ocean view. The management was accommodating and allowed us a new room on the other side, with more of an ocean view, but also a view (and sounds) of the construction next door. Certainly they did not have control over the construction so we understood the situation. However, we had to continually call to get things to the room which should have been there originally and/or upon our arrival. We needed 2 robes and only had one, coffee and cream was never refilled and hangars were insufficient. We are frustrated when we need to order to the room things which should have been supplied and therefore resent the tipping of the personnel who provide the missing items. The room itself was modern, clean and comfortable. I appreciated the design and comfort. The hospitality was very good, but often I felt it was too in my face in regard to tipping. I enjoy tipping, but do not like to feel as though it is "expected" and prefer to tip according to genuine excellent service. I would recommend the W for its style, comfort and off the main thoroughfare (if you want to be a bit away from the center of town).

Room Tip: I wish I had a recommendation for you, but the construction at the time makes it diffiuclt to sugges...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank robin136
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We apologize for our neighbor's construction, and sincerely thank you for your understanding in this matter. Thank you for your valuable feedback, which we have shared with our team, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

The W coins the term "Whatever/Whenever" as their own, but after spending the past weekend at their South Beach property, there is a good reason why it's trademarked. We've stayed at their D.C. and Austin properties before, and while they are great hotels in their own right, I have never received the type of attention and personalized service before, at any hotel, anywhere!

Nevermind the fact that I had made the reservation months ago and was planning on proposing to my girlfriend of five years. From the time we checked-in to the time we left, every detail of our weekend was meticulously executed and I cannot thank Clifford as well as Liko and Mark for making our stay unforgetable.

I could go into how beautiful the property is, how nice the staff is and how great the amenities are, but I really wouldn't be doing the resort justice. Miami is known is its pretentious and over-priced hotels, but it's nice to know that an oasis of awesomeness still exists.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed an amazing stay for such an unforgettable occasion! Providing our guests with the most personalized service is something we look forward to each day, and it was our pleasure to execute a flawless getaway for you. We will be sure to pass along your compliments to Cliff, Liko and Mark. Once again, thank you for staying with us at W South Beach. We look forward to seeing you - and your fiance! - soon.

Glencoe
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

The W has always been my "go-to" in South Beach, but I think it may be time for a change. $700+ for a "Fantastic Suite" that had a partial-hole punched in closet door, dirty floors, damaged furniture throughout, toilets that didn't flush properly, and a shower with bad pressure. Not so Fantastic. I'm okay with paying high prices, but they better bring high-quality and great service. My wife and I got neither. Also, they give away your beds at the pool once you're gone for 30 minutes. The problem is that this doesn't even give you enough time to have lunch at the Dutch! For a hotel this size, the need more seating at the pool area - a big issue here. Spa was also way below average for this price-point. I feel bad writing such a lousy review as I used to feel such loyalty toward this place, but quite frankly, I feel ripped-off. The positives? Cool vibe, decent people-watching and great location.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rob F
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to W South Beach. We would like to apologize for the lack of 'wow' factor during your recent stay. We take great pride in our unparalleled level of service, and are sorry to hear that this was not the case during your visit. We hope that you will consider us for future visits, so that we can provide you with the level of service for which we are known.