“Nice lobby shame about the rooms”
Review of W South Beach

W South Beach
Ranked #16 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed as a group in January booking one two bed suite one suite and two Studio rooms
All booked via Amex Centurion who offer breakfast as an amenity .
The two bedded suite was in poor condition. Some lights not working needing replacement bulbs!
We we're told we would have a Nespresso machine which we did but no expresso cups only big mugs!
No care taken at all.
When I enquiries about some expresso cups the man at reception said we may have to rent them!
I presumed he had been trained by Basil Faulty!!!
We only got the cups when we wrote some complaints to the general manager then we got three sets !
My sons Studio was a bit of a shambles with one cupboard having being kicked in with a large ugly dent in the faux wood door .
Also his balcony door handle fell off so the door could not be opened shabby !!!
The breakfast in the Dutch was farcical,
The allowance from Amex meant you could not get the meagre buffet without paying extra.
The hotel blamed Amex but it looks to me like a scheme to get one to pay more what kind of allowance cannot get you a coffee and a bagel?
I tried the smoke salmon and found it tasteless .
So I asked a manager who brought out a fresh lot .It tasted the same must be super cheap not the fare of a top priced hotel!
Confusion reigned you had to fill in a form to get eggs it was like being back at school!
They told us it was so the chef would not get confused !
I suppose writing down an order is out of the question for the high flying restaurant staff!
When one of my guests left I checked the bill and found some odd bar bills in his name but the signature was not his !!!
Very suspicious it was removed from the bill but left us feeling uneasy.
The rooms and suites all have ridiculous adjectives as names
Wow or Sensational but they are underwhelming because of the poor condition , the rooms are not maintained well at all.
Shocking to learn that the hotel is only four years old!
Housekeeping was poor too
Often we were having to request basic items like towels etc.
The staff in general were very nice and apologetic.
The Lobby area is very nice indeed and has a good atmosphere.
The fitness centre is ok
The only restaurant is the Dutch which is poor
The bar is very nice and well run.
Good location too expensive poor value indeed.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank raymontecarlo
WSoBe, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, which we have shared with our team. We sincerely apologize for the lack of 'wow' factor during your visit. Please know our guests' satisfaction is our utmost priority, and we have noted each of your points in an effort to improve our guest experience.

Amaury Piedra

Write a ReviewReviews (3,687)

Reviewed 12 March 2014

This is my second stay at this property. I must say that I was not pleased with my experience. There were 3 main issues that I felt could have been handled better. One, I fully understand the late check-in time due to the 'resort' classification the hotel holds. I came in a bit early hoping that I would be able to check into my room. I was not able to be accommodated, no big deal. I'll wait around. However when the proper check in time (16:00) came and went, I inquired about the status at the front desk, I was told that the room still isn't ready and there was not an expected time to check in. I was merely told I will receive a text message once the room is ready. After dinner (nearly 19:00), I called the front desk to realize that the room was ready and I was not contacted. I feel like I wasted the entire day playing by the rules and losing. I was looking forward to the room and enjoying my vacation with my girlfriend. This vacation was off to a terrible start. Two, On the second day of my stay, we left the room for most of the morning and afternoon. We returned at 16:30 to find our room un-made (the do not disturb sign was NOT posted on our door). We had to call down to the front to request the room to be made up and had to evacuate the room. Again, I was not able to enjoy the room. Three, I realized that my plans required a extra time in the afternoon and requested a late check out. Given my circumstances, I would have hoped for some understanding. The front desk operator met me with a stone wall stating that hotel policy was not able to accommodate me. Nevermind the fact that I checked in late due to terrible planning and communication from the hotel, but also to be met with such unwavering ability to not listen not work with me was VERY off-putting.

I stayed in the so-called "Fabulous Studio" and had two items of note that would make me refrain from stay in that room again. 1) I requested a higher room hoping to be away from street noise. This is not possible as the nightclub is underneath the room. Most of the night was spent trying to drown out the bass from the nightclub. Not very condusive to a good nights sleep. 2)There is no sun on the patio in the afternoon or evening. You miss the beautiful Miami sunset, and sunbathing is impossible as the sun is completely obscured by the main hotel building.

Overall, this stay was VERY disappointing and has made me re-think whether I would like to put the effort into re-qualifying for Status with Starwood.

Room Tip: Get a room on the south side. Any other side and your view will be obscured
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank H W

Dear Guest,

Thank for for sharing your valuable feedback. We would like to apologize for the challenges you encountered during your stay. Please rest assured that we have noted your individual points with our staff in order to avoid this happening in the future. Once again, our sincere apologies.

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

After a few too many drinks we decided to stay the nigjt in south beach so we wouldnt have to drive home. We got a very last minute reservation and checked in around midnight. The staff were great. Very welcoming. We did not have luggage as the tripnwas not planned. So the staff immediatly sent up the needed toothbrush etc.
the hotel was beautiful. The bar was fun and had a great croud. The room was fantatic and the pool looked amazing
Wish we would have stayed the entire week

WSoBe, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Guest,

We're thrilled to hear that we could be of assistance. We hope that next time you'll be able to join us for an extended, planned stay!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

This was the 2nd time in 9 months that I've stayed at the W. The rooms are spacious, great views, big terrace ...the location of the hotel is superbe cause on the beach and within walking distance of where the action is on South Beach.
What I love above everything in the W is the general trendy atmosphere that captivates you as soon as you walk in. The lobby is modern, trendy, luxurious, done with lots of style ...the crowd is a nice mix of European & American, singles, business and families and the staff is really friendly. A special thank you to Gabriella who went beyond her way to help us out with questions and was always very quick in responding to every question we had. I loved my experience and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
WSoBe, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your continued patronage to W South Beach. We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and will share your kind words with Gaby. We can't wait to have you back!

Until next time,

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Beautiful hotel/residence in a fabulous location. The beach is great and the food is delicious.

I'm always a little disappointed, however, with the service. When we need something in our room or have issues with the electronics, Internet, etc., it take numerous follow-ups to get even the simplest issue taken care of. The W definitely needs a better system and better management.

We did have an excellent experience this trip with Reynold Mathieu. He is lovely and very helpful. Thank you Reynold!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. We apologize for the lag in your concerns being addressed, as we pride ourselves on providing total and immediate service to our guests. We will be sure to pass along your compliments to Reynold, and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed here for a weekend in October 2013 at the recommendation of friends who raved about the property. Overall, we were pleased with the choice. The hotel wasn't that impressive from the outside - there is a cab stand right next to it, which made getting into the valet area a little tricky at times (had to do a 3-point turn), but once we stepped inside WOW the smell. What is that smell? I want my house to smell that way. It was so fresh and luxurious but not overwhelming. Good start. When we were checking in, I could tell there were managers of some kind looking over everything. It seemed to be a well-oiled machine. Our room was absolutely stunning. Well-appointed and huge with a decent view. We were very pleased until we realized we were on a floor that would be (based on previous reviews) audibly disturbed all night by the nightclub that was onsite. They moved us without issue, but our new room was decidedly less nice, with a partial ocean view (you know, walk all the way out to the balcony and turn your head) and the construction down below. Oh well, no biggie we didn't plan on spending much time in the room anyhow.

The concierge was great and helped us set up a cabana reservation for the next day, which wasn't really worth it. We had to call over the waitstaff whenever we wanted another drink, the flatscreen tv didn't work and the refrigerator hadn't been plugged in, so it was useless. Wouldn't bother with the cabana next time, just maybe get to the pool early to secure a decent chair since it gets pretty packed and they reserve several chairs for residents. The pool itself is nice and we enjoyed our day relaxing out there. We also took a stroll to the beach and it was stunning (see photos).

We did have a rather strange exchange at breakfast, however. The manager at the restaurant wouldn't let us keep a copy of the credit card receipt after we paid for breakfast, insisting they needed both copies and got in my husband's face about it. Very odd and rude, really. Our waitress had been fabulous, so it was confusing. The drinks at the restaurant bar were fantastic, although service was slowwwww.

This hotel definitely looks the part and is visually impressive. Feels a littttttle overpriced though.

Room Tip: Make sure you room is nowhere near the club if you go to bed before 4 am.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2014

They need to decide if they want to be a hotel or a nightclub…the thumping of the bass from the club kept me awake until 5am. I stayed in a beautiful suite a couple of months ago for a work event. The room, grounds, food, drink, staff, were all amazing and I really liked the hotel. What I did not like, or expect, was the nightclub that got going a few floors below me at about midnight. I can typically sleep through anything, but the thumping of the bass was so annoying that I tossed and turned until about 5am. It was horrible and certainly something you should not have to deal with when you are paying over $600 for a room.

I recommend the hotel – just make sure to get a room that is far away from the nightclub!

Room Tip: Make sure you are far from the nightclub.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank kiwi-33333

Dear Guest,

We're so sorry to hear about the noise you encountered. Next time, we'll be sure to accommodate you with a room away from WALL so you can get your beauty rest. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.