“Girls weekend extroidenare so awesome and decadent we did not want to leave!”
Review of W South Beach

W South Beach
Ranked #16 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 23 December 2010

Here is the deal you are best off planning out what you want to do before you get there and hit the ground running! They can arrange anything! The service is amazing at this hotel. I would love to have a special event, conference, or wedding at this venue. Firstly, you can not get upstairs to any rooms with out a room key "genius". They are in the heart of Miami Beach close to all the best shopping an venues. They do have the acura driver if you want to use him. Additionally Mr. Chows is in the hotel "a MUST" It is an experience and let's just leave it at that. We spent our mornings in the state of the art gym and then headed to the spa for treatments. After which we showered at the spa they have lavender showers (OMG). I did not want to leave. They have everything you could want there and then some! They were both amazing! After which we went poolside and relaxed in the pool and by the beach. They do have the cabanas by the pool with the flat screen tv's. They have lawn chairs on the ocean with umbrellas and pool boys to bring you whatever your heart desires! If you forgot something at home NO WORRIES they do have a shop that carries everything from hats and glasses to something to wear at the club. We had an amazing room that had panoramic views and balconies that we were able to go out on. The beds were comfortable. You just crawled into them and slipped off into a deep sleep! The showers were amazing. I loved the bathrooms. They have flat screen TV's in each room and the living area. They have the bose systems you would expect in a high end luxury hotel. They do have a fridge that they will fill according to your wishes. The food is amazing room service, by the pool and in Mr. Chows. We spent the night having fun. It was an incredible trip. Yes, they do have Celebs a the resort. They did upgrade me due to my status. They do makes sure everyone is pampered! I did not want to leave at all! I wanted to move in. This is a new resort. They do have a club at it. It is perfect for a decadent girls weekend and yes they are discreet. :)

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,734)

Reviewed 22 December 2010

Big gorgeous lobby, gardens and common areas, big rooms, big views, big soft bed, big luxe bath, big sunny terrace, big boozy mini bar, 2 big screen TVs, big quiet beach, big sceney pool, big posh gym, big yummy olives at the bar and verrrrrry big staff to guest ratio. Also a big bar scene, duh. I don't always like BIG, but boy does it work here. They've got it working right.

Starwood also follows up with a letter, post stay, looking for feedback. I gave it and they satisfied my few complaints. Love it.

Would i stay again? ABSOLUTELY.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank mjknows
Reviewed 22 December 2010

I made a reservation for the W to go on a Man-cation with my 3 year old son... I know, you are thinking "why take your 3 yr old to the W?". I had some SPG rewards I needed to use and I always wanted to try it out.

It was Awesome! Sweet pool, awesome service, great views, great amenities... everything was amazing. Yes, its expensive to eat/drink... but so is EVERY hotel in South Beach of this caliber. If you don't want to pay $7 for a latte at the pool, then don't. It's worth it in my opinion... you dont come to SOBE to be cheap, and you certainly don't come to the W to be cheap.

As for the staff, a special shout out to Nilda Dalla Costa in the sales department... I emailed ahead of time with some requests specifically related to me traveling with a toddler. She not only upgraded me (I am SPG Platinum), she also sent Cookies and Milk to our room when we checked in with a card. Amazing.

I didn't get to experience the nightlife of course, but I watched a lot of it from my terrace...lol.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank deanjen1
Reviewed 15 December 2010

We have traveled to SoBe many times and always enjoy the experience as it is like no other place in the US. The W, one of the newest hotels on SoBe is really what the area is all about. Yes, the drinks are expensive, but this is normal for South Beach. In fact, at $15 a pop, the cocktails at the Living Room Bar were not even close to the most expensive on our trip. For those that complain about the prices of the drinks and food at the W, where do you think you are? This is not still the Holiday Inn that once stood on this spot a few years ago.

The space is gorgeous, the rooms have beautiful views and the service was great. I have to say that I am never excited by room service in any hotel, but after deciding it was too cold to go out one night (yes it was very cold in Miami!) we decided to stay in and I was pleasantly surprised by the room service cuisine. Everything we had was very good, and it also arrived quickly after our order was placed, another rarity in the hotel world.

We also enjoyed the pool, the beach, Solea restaurant, Mr Chow and the Bliss Spa. All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at the W and look forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2010

I booked a Fabulous Studio for 2 nights in order to propose to my now fiance. I chose the W South Beach hotel based on it's location and also the reputation of luxury and excellent customer service Starwood Hotel Group has.

Unfortunately, to say the hotel failed to live up to my expectations is an understatement. The room and the view from the room was impressive however the poor housekeeping, extortionate prices and lack of attention to detail was not what I would expect from a 4 star hotel.

On our arrival, we were met at the door by a throng of men dressed in black wearing earpieces. This seemed completely over the top, we couldn't see the use for them and would imagine this kind of greeting could be quite intimidating for some guests.

Check in went fairly smoothly and on arrival to our room, we were initially impressed by the furnishings and the view. That quickly changed when we found what I consider to be sloppy attention to detail. As the sun began to set, we found 3 bulbs had blown in 3 lights in our room. One would be understandable but 3 would suggest that they hadn't been checked in some time. The packets of coffee left for our use were out of date (2 of which were out of date by months), the mugs were stained and chipped, there was no milk in the fridge for those of us who enjoy white coffee, the bedding was torn, the lounger outside on our balcony had a rather large cigarette burn in it and the toilet kept blocking. We addressed the toilet issue, coffee and blown bulbs with staff and 2 of the 3 were dealt with.

Furthermore, we were unable to get a reception on our cell phone in the room and as we were keen to share the news of our engagement with our family back in the UK and Ireland, made the costly mistake of using the hotel room phone to call a handful of people. This resulted in a telephone bill for some $700 dollars. Some calls which had connected only to answering machines for a matter of seconds were charged at in excess of $40 each. We queried our bill with the receptionist and had these calls taken off the total cost. Despite trying to calculate costs from the details in the guest compendium, we are still unable to figure out why we were charged such a ridiculously high amount for so few calls. An example - one 15 minute call to a UK land line was $150. Despite asking for a detailed breakdown, the receptionist was unable to supply us with this. This experience really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Having had the privilege of staying in some beautiful hotels all over the world, I was looking forward to experiencing a W Hotel. I won't repeat the experience, nor would I recommend W South Beach to any friends or family. Given how competitive the travel industry is and the state of the world economy, this kind of sloppiness reflects very poorly on Starwood Hotels and surely can't be good for business.

Finally, on checkout we were asked by the receptionist if our stay had been 'fabulous'. When we advised him of the things we'd encountered and told him of the out of date coffee his reply -'Ewwwww, gross'. No apology, no 'thanks for letting me know, I'll advise housekeeping', nothing. If this doesn't smack of a sloppy, couldn't care less attitude then I don't know what does. Kind of summed up our experience.

Very, very disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank corcegg
Reviewed 1 December 2010

My husband and I stay at Ws all over. We were upgraded as platinum SPG members. Our suite was very nice with a good view and a great terrace. We were missing a few essential items like a trash can and glasses which the staff took care of fast enough. One thing that I find really annoying - and I understand that they are just trying to give good service - but everytime we called Whatever Whenever for something - they would call back to make sure the request was taken care of, it was annoying to be disturbed too often.

The pool is awesome. The food is completely overpriced for what it is. I wouldn't mind paying the prices if it were actually good, but everything we had was mediocre at best. The guacamole had no flavor whatsoever. I ordered a juice poolside and was charged $12 and the juice had a ton of ice in it and wasn't even freshly squeezed or anything! And then they include a 20% service charge as is common in Miami but at the W they don't make it obvious and note the word "extra" like some places do so many people like me, I'm sure, add an extra tip on top of the 20%. Really, they could at least make the food and drinks quality for the price, it's not that difficult, nothing makes me more angry than bad, bland, expensive food.

Also, why do Ws charge so much for wireless internet? Is it really necessary for a $400 per night hotel to charge so much to use the internet?

It is very nice also to have that huge public parking lot adjacent to the hotel so that you don't have to spend $35 per day for the valet.

Other than that it was a fine experience, the location is great for nightlife and daytime.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Ifyou want to throw your money away stay here!!! 15$ Orange Juice!!!!
100$ worth of cocktails in your lounge for a few martini’s before dinner, the size of which a five year old could drink was not impressive. Mr. Chow’s exceeded our expectations and we didn’t blink twice at our bill. That restaurant is the best part of your hotel.
The next day we decided to relax by the pool. When we arrive at the pool we were welcomed by what looked like FBI agents in suits. It was quite comical actually. They wanted to know our room number and how many people ect. Finally we found an area that actually had sun, because the majority of the areas are blocked by massive palm trees, not ideal for sun bathing. We found a nice “bed” in the sun that we inquired about, come to find out that its 150$ to use for the day when the pool area was fairly empty. This is ridiculous when a guest is paying 700$ a night to stay in your hotel, but has to pay 150$ to have a bed by the pool that is actually in the sun. Next we decided to order drinks poolside. Again, 3 drinks later, “kiddie size” I might add, nothing impressive at all. A daiquiri in a plastic cup, not even with a garnish or umbrella. Trust me the waitress didn’t even know what a floater was for a rum runner or pina colada. Come to find another 100$ bill. We ordered room service once we got back from the pool and another 75$ later for a club sandwich, boneless ribs and a salad. Breakfast the next morning 13$ for a fresh squeezed orange juice! Is there something so special about the W’s fresh squeezed orange juice? At this point it’s just ridiculous. We almost spent as much money at the W for 2 days then we did for 5 days in Cabo.

We do not mind paying when it is worth the experience. What type of experience do you offer your guests?

This was just to be blunt a “rip off.” I am not impressed by the “W” hotel and do not intend on staying again, I do plan on warning others for this ridiculous, and quite comical overpriced experience.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple