“As classy as South Beach gets”

Mondrian South Beach Hotel
Ranked #41 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Hitting the three high points of design hotels, Morgan's Mondrian South Beach is perfect destination.

- Style
- Service
- Comfort

Each important area was taken in with aplomb. The hotel itself is gorgeous with great design abounding.

Room Tip: Our Room #405 was a suite sized room with kitchen and giant bath - just without the water view and b...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank septemous
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Thank you. We hope you will join us again soon.

Ellis

Write a ReviewReviews (3,970)

Reviewed 8 August 2012

I recently stayed at the Mondrian when a group of girlfriends and I visited Miami for a weekend. We had two rooms booked and at check-in, I requested the rooms be near each other. They weren't able to find a studio near the double room we booked, so they gave us a free upgrade to a one bedroom balcony suite, which ended up being very spacious.

The halls of the hotel are sweetly perfumed and each room door included two peepholes... one up top and one lower down! The elevators did seem to be a bit run down though as the background art was dirtied and ripped at the bottom. The room is very modern and trendy with a just a few things we found a bit inconvenient. There wasn't much counter space in the bathroom where we could keep our huge toiletry bags without getting wet as the whole bathroom counter was a gigantic rectangular sink. You can argue the water won't get all the way to the left side, but I just found this still a bit incovenient (albeit trendy looking). Oddly though, the room our friends stayed in did have a rolley cart next to the sink where they could put their stuff. I thought the chandelier rain shower was pretty cool, but the shower door was too short and caused water to spill out of the shower area. The large mirror in the bathroom is good and the large mirror outside is trendy with an orange-tint (just don't try to put your make-up on with the orange-tinted mirror as it's kinda hard to see in detail and to make out colors!).

The best part of the hotel is the pool area, which is what bumps my review from 3 to 4 stars. Service is extremely friendly. Once you find your chair, a staff member is already there prepared to lay out a towel for you. Each corner of the pool has a water dispenser with cups in case you get thirsty. Sunday is their pool party day with a DJ playing music and the staff members going around asking if you'd like a juice shooter or water. Around the pool are a number of lounging areas with large pillows and comfortable couches. Right by the bay, the Mondrian has a marina where boats can easily dock. The staff at the bar area outside is very friendly too. They even let us plug in our own music speakers to listen to our own music as we took up the whole bar area.

When I got home, I did notice I was charged $28 for supposedly using the minibar in the room. Completely false, called them, and they fixed it.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you. We're glad your pool experience was so memorable. Please come back again soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

I read countless reviews and honestly at first was not sure if I wanted to book, some said too noisy, some said not clean enough, some said the scent of the hotel was too strong, so I hesitated at first. That said, I finally decided to book for both location and style and let me tell you, I definitely made the right decision. I LOVED this hotel and I travel ALOT! The hotel is beautiful, the staff was incredibly friendly during all interactions including when they held a bottle of champagne a friend dropped off for my husband's birthday because we had a do not disturb sign on our door. The hotel was very clean and I am a clean freak! The bed was SOOOO comfortable. I normally travel with my own pillow including a body pillow especially if it is local. this time I left it home and was concerned that I would not sleep well, even commented to my husband that perhaps we should turn around and get my pillow so I don't complain. Well, I def did not need my pillow, the hotel was kind enough to provide a couple extra and I slept like a baby, comfy bed, great linen. The pool is great, loved the DJ and the pool attendants are some of the best service I have ever experienced. All in all, I loved this hotel and my stay. DO NOT HESITATE TO BOOK!

Room Tip: Just book your room, you will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LoriHD

Thank you again for your visit and for this great review. We're glad you decided to stay with us and are happy to see that we exceeded your expectations. We hope to have a chance to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Where do I begin, me and my friends arrived at the hotel and from the very beginning they treated us like royalty.Priscilla gave us her card and told us to let her know if there was anything she could do to make our stay better. Now yes the room was equipped for 2 and there were 3 of us and yes being women you know we brought plenty of clothes and yes there were not a lot of hangers, so duh we called downstairs told them we needed more hangers and that we needed more tableware and within minutes they had sent the items up. The next morning we headed to the pool, well that was an awesome experience also. We stepped out and there was David Arth asking us where he could set up us, he brought us towels and kept checking on us. We stepped away for a while and would you believe he reserved our chairs and if that is not enough the next morning when we came out he had our chairs all set up just waiting for us. We had a lovely dinner at their restaurant and the next day they sent up a plate with goodies thanking us for dining at the restaurant. And when we checked out at 5a.m. we again had Priscilla assist us and she did ask how our stay was, and at the end of it all said "see you next year". We absolutely loved it. Everyone we encountered was wonderful and let me just make it perfectly clear we are 3 very down to earth ladies who went there just to have a good time and the Mondrian staff took very good care of us and made us feel very special. I travel the most out of the 3 of us so I have plenty of hotels to compare the Mondrian to and there is no comparison. And if I go back to So Be I would pick them again.

BTW if you go to the Mondrian and do not have enough hangers feel free to ask for more.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank prdboricua
Ellis v, Executive Assistant at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Thank you. We're so happy that Priscilla and David and the rest of our team provided you with such a great time. We look forward to your visit next year if not sooner.

Reviewed 6 August 2012 via mobile

I travel approximately 6 times a year. I've never been this disappointed in a luxury hotel. All style, no function. I had a 2 room suite that contained a bedroom and a living room/kitchen. First off, my room smelled like cat urine. There was one hangar in the small closet and no drawers. When I asked if something could be done I was told "Yeah, those rooms have no drawers."
The club-like atmosphere of the lobby. bar is a matter of preference. I had to literally scream to try at having a short conversation. The final straw: When checking out after a 4 or 5 night stay the desk clerk just simply took my payment and handed me a receipt. No "How was your stay." nor "Have a nice day." Nothing. I DO like that it's located in a quieter stretch of Collins Ave & near Lincoln Rd.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank DactionAD

Thank you. Since your visit at the beginning of the year we have made significant changes at the Front Desk and throughout the hotel. We hope you will come back to see for yourself the improvements.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Loved, loved, loved this hotel. Fantastic position, gorgeous rooms, we had a standard room for the kids that overlooked back down 11th street and we upgraded to a water view room with balcony. Beds comfortable, small kitchenette but adequate for our purposes, well equipped. Pool area great. Full of beautiful people, we just found the whole scenario pool side amusing. Our family of five were maybe a little out of place but never felt uncomfortable. My 11year old daughter became an expert poolside at spotting who had had plastic surgery! The staff poolside were also excellent. I know other reviews have complained about the party atmosphere and noise but we experienced none of that. Our rooms were quiet. Staff at concierge and front desk we can't really comment on, we checked in quickly and we rarely used concierge, but all were polite and friendly. Easy walk to both the beach (10 min) nd the mall (best for food nd shopping). The kids hired paddle boards and kayaks out the front which were great. A whole foods is very close by, one block, and we used that very often. We had continental breakfast included in room rate for a couple of days but the other days we bought food from whole foods nd brought it back to the room, much cheaper and better option.

Room Tip: We upgraded to bay view, we thought it was worth it. Maybe rooms on higher floors are less noisy
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for this review and your recent visit. We're glad you and your family enjoyed your stay here and hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Recently spent my second week at the fantastic Mondrian,have to say that it is impossible to give anything other than a 5/5 glowing review. Visiting a destination for a second time can and has often been disappointing,but the Morgans Group have got it so right here that I will be back again next year. For me there are 2 things that truly stand out to make the hotel great - the first being the amazing team who consistently provide seamless customer service to all guests,wether they are checking you in or bringing you a poolside snack. I was stunned when David the pool concierge remembered me from my stay 2 years prier! I have worked in a customer facing business dealing with the public for 25 years so do not suffer fools gladly when it comes to bad service,the team where charming,friendly and exceptionally professional throughout my stay. The second would have to be the level of comfort the hotel/guest rooms provide - not only did Mr Wanders do a great job on the overall design of the Mondrian but it is clear that the rooms are very well maintained,often rooms can quickly become a little tired around the edges but this not the case here and day to day the house keeping is of a high standard. Having the small kitchenette in the room is great if you want a light snack,a well stocked Whole Foods is just 1 block away. My bed was very comfortable,I had 6 nights of great sleep!
Important to mention to potential guests - There is a scene at the Mondrian,by this I mean that it is a stylish,cool destination hotel (refreshingly unpretentious),with parties and a poolside DJ at the weekend,if this is really NOT your thing fair enough,but all the guests that I spoke to over my stay were pleasant,everyone behaved themselves around the pool respecting the other guests - so if your unsure give it a go!

Room Tip: Higher rooms would be quieter when a party is happening in the hotel bar
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Theworldofcraig

Thank you for your recent and repeated visit and thank you, too, for this nice review. We're delighted that our staff provided you with memorable service and we're glad also that you enjoyed our setting and vibe. We hope we'll have many more future opportunities to help you escape.