I booked and paid for our 4-day February 2014 stay at the Mondrian South beach in January 2014 through bookit.com. During that booking process I was specifically informed that I could cancel or change my reservation for a charge of only $19.95. Unfortunately, as my trip neared I realized that I had pressing business issues that required the shortening of my vacation. Approximately 9 days before I was supposed to arrive at the hotel I began calling both bookit.com and the hotel to inform them that I needed to cut 2 days off the end of my hotel stay. I was informed by all parties that if I cut two days off my stay I would receive a refund of only $206 per night. That negligible refund was certainly not acceptable to me since I had paid over $327 per night. Finally after numerous calls, many harsh words, and several threats, the bookit.com representative informed me that the best refund the hotel would agree to was a total of $540.25. Although this refund is only $270 per night (much less than I had paid), it was more than the initial refund offer of only $206 per night! Needless to say, although my warm, fuzzy feelings toward the hotel had diminished, I was determined to enjoy my first visit to South Beach. I had seen pictures of the Mondrian so I knew what to expect in the hotel decor. What caught me by surprise was the very large female face painted on the wall facing the entry of the hotel. The very kind female concierge explained that the female faces painted in the hotel were sirens of the sea who were protecting the hotel and it's guests....a good thought, but from what exactly do we need to be protected??? What shocked me was another female face painted on the wall facing my bed - it was eerie to have that face following me all over the room and staring at me as I slept and when I awoke in the mornings. The rooms were ok, a bit tired, but the room lighting was odd and made it difficult to dress in the evenings. Moreover, the hallway on floor 8 was dark and scary. The rooms were not soundproofed at all so we were awakened at 3:30 both nights by the young women on our hallway just returning from their evening entertainment. The worst part of our visit was that we left our room at 8:30 am after our first night there. We toured around and walked all over the city and returned at 4:30 pm to a room that had not been cleaned. While our plan was to shower and take a short nap, then leave for the evening around 8 pm, we called the front desk who assured us that housekeeping would arrive in the next few minutes. Housekeeping did not arrive and we were forced to call the management. Although the management was nice and most of the staff were extremely accommodating, I do not think our visit was as pleasing as it should have been.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on newly-fashionable West Avenue, Mondrian is a quiet enclave just minutes from the bustling center of South Beach, offering spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean, Biscayne Bay and downtown Miami. The visionary style of designer Marcel Wanders is apparent from the moment you pull into the porte-cochere: guests walk through a grand entryway appointed with custom-designed furniture, lighting and accent pieces, evoking Wanders' design homage of "Sleeping Beauty's Castle." Upon entering the soaring lobby, the floor-to-ceiling windows offer stunning views of Biscayne Bay. Immediately the eye is drawn to the masterpiece of the room–an iconic, signature "floating staircase." Black and gold patterned furnishings and oversized brass bell shaped lights add a touch of whimsy and welcome guests to sit and socialize or enjoy the view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, TravelUp, Southall Travel, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Mondrian South Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mondrian South Beach Hotel Miami Beach, Florida
- Mondrian Miami Beach
- Mondrian Miami Hotel Beach