“For A True South Beach Experience, Stay Here. Really.”

Mondrian South Beach Hotel
Ranked #38 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Whether you're single or not, this is the hotel that represents the experience of what South Beach is all about.

My wife and I decided to spend our 5th Anniversary in Miami, and The Mondrian helped it be the most memorable yet, since our honeymoon. From the moment we were helped out of our cab, the service never let us down. We asked to upgrade our room upon arrival, and the front counter made the change swiftly. Yes, we paid a little more, but hey, it was our anniversary, so we wanted to splurge a little.

Once we walked into the room, we knew we were about to have a great time. Spacious, modern, sleek, clean, and with a view of the bay and downtown Miami to the west, from the 11th floor. If we were a little more carefree, we probably would have invited people back for a room party that night.

After some quick exploring of Ocean and Lincoln Drives (really just a $6 cab ride to the strip) - then we walked down, had lunch, bought a few things, walked over to Lincoln, checked out the shops, walked back up to West Ave, then back to Mondrian. Yes, these places are not exactly next door, but if anyone complains about their distance, they're not fit, or just plain too lazy or stuffy to experience a city like this.

By the time we got back, it was time for the pool, and what a scene it is. Not too crowded, but the scenery (people AND location), was absolutely pleasant, to say the leasat. And the pool service was quick to bring a towel and whatever chair of your choice. And always with a smile. (Ask for Dave, he will Hook, You, Up). Beverage and Food servers were as friendly as they were attractive. Not like the uptight L.A. servers. And yes, drinks were up there in price, but this is South Beach, people, not Oklahoma. Live it up.

My wife left the pool a bit early to get treated at the spa. She said they treated her as if she was the only guest in the hotel. And she left with a great manicure, too.

That night we made reservations at a restaurant on Lincoln, but wanted to switch to another place the same night. At the same time. Within 2 hours. In most big nightlife cities, this might be a problem, but not when you have the Mondrian's smooth concierge. He had it changed within 10 minutes, was totally cool over the phone, and had the confirmation sent up to the room within minutes of the call.

We spent our actual anniversary dinner on the Friday night at Asia di Cuba. Some might say that it's too loud a place for an anniversary dinner. I'd say to them, we came her for this, and we expected it. Friday night is THE night for this hotel. An awesome bartender to start things off, drinks started flowing, and a pretty reasonably-priced bottle of wine, and a great server at Asia for dinner (yeah, we had to wait a bit for the table we wanted, and the restaurant's front desk could use a little more experience, but oh well, everything turned out great). Server was so down-to-earth. And if the drinks were costly, the value of the food made up for it. They even sent us a complimentary dessert! But by then, I could barely touch it I was so full. Still, I tried, just because of the gesture toward us was so kind.

Stick around for the bar scene on the Friday. Guys, if you're with your wife/girlfriend, she better be cool about the head-turning you'll be doing. Mine was, which made the night even better. Just a great scene. But if you're there to get drunk, it'll be a costly night. Remember why you're there, because it's definitely not for being frugal.

The next day we did our final shopping during the day and met just the friendliest people back at the pool, and even some locals hanging out there for the weekend. Another great dinner nearby that night, then explored the nightlife. Even able to bypass the line at one of the clubs, thanks to the concierge's business card which he gave me earlier that night.

All in all, we couldn't have asked for anything more on our special weekend getaway. Detail and service. When staff are as friendly as they are in a place like this with endless amenities, then you've come to the right place.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
MondrianMiamiGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2009

Konstantine71,
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A REVIEW!!!!!!!!!
Even though this took me a half an hour to read, I had to read it over and over about 5 times because your review on our property was outstanding. I had a great time reading your review and I shared it with my entire staff in our morning meeting. Mondrian “IS” what South Beach is all about… I totally agree. It’s a trendy place where you can have fun in the sun and have whatever experience you can think of while you stay in Miami. I feel that for such a new property, we have a very strong team that is not like your typical “Marriott”… ok I said it!... MARRIOTT!!! where the staff seem to be scripted and have no personality. We encourage our staff to interact with our guests and spend time with them during their stay. Congratulations on your 5th Anniversary! We were excited to have you choose our property as your choice location to spend your special occasion! You may have read some previous reviews on our property and we have had another couple announce that they will be returning for their Anniversary’s in the future. Maybe we can get a new baby someday named after our property; and if it’s a boy you can name him Mondrian and if it’s a girl you can name her Agua. If you don’t want to name your first born child after our hotel I understand but you have to at least name a pet after us! Ok so back to your review…
I see that you spent a great part of your stay on property and took full advantage of all of our outlets we have on property from the Pool with Dave to the Agua Spa (which is amazing! I had the first treatment there so you can envy me), to the incredible dinner at Asia De Cuba. The Chefs get mad when I ask for food I am always trying to sneak to the lines to grab that Tunapica! Friday nights at our bar are one of the most popular nights here in Miami. The scene at the hotel is vibrant and animated with a complete mixture of visitors from locals to international travelers. We have a live DJ spinning right in the Sunset Lounge and you just cannot help taking off your high heels and getting down… or loafers if you’re a dude… We look forward to having you back with us real soon or at least next year for your 6th Anniversary and I know you’re already looking forward to that!
Thanks again!

Reviewed 26 April 2009

The Mondrian is a great place to be. - Nice, attentive staff. Cool design. Great (and unusually large) room. Good pool area. Nice sunsets over the bay. One can not ask for more!

We particularly loved the possibility to use the beach facilities of the Delano on the beach of Miami Beach.

Only thing to be aware of: the hotel is about 0.6 miles away from the bustling South Beach businesses and the beach. - But it is located in a nice residential neighbourhood with supermarkets (Whole Foods) and restaurants just around the corner.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
MondrianMiamiGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on us at Trip Advisor. I am glad you and your family that traveled with children enjoyed our pool area and outlets our property offers. I see you wrote that you had the opportunity to use the beach at Delano, but did you have the chance to make it out there? The Delano is one of our sister properties we have with Morgans Hotel Group, and as a guest at Mondrian, you have many additional privileges to your stay. The Delano which has two wonderful restaurants our guests can enjoy called Blue Sea and Blue Door are both amazing and I suggest you try them out, believe me been there many times… Guests also have access to the Delano Beach where we provide towel service and chairs right on the beach for a nominal charge. At night, it’s also great to visit our two magnificent bars, the Rose Bar and The Florida Room both great places to visit next time you come without the Children. Even though this property is set off the main strip in Miami Beach, we are close to many great restaurants and bars along with Lincoln Road and Espanola Way; both with numerous outstanding restaurants and bars. Having Whole Foods across the street, we have found that many guests that are health conscious or are just looking to stock up there room with snacks find it very convenient instead of having to dine out, besides; do you really want to miss that beautiful sunset?
Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you back with us real soon!

Reviewed 19 April 2009

This hotel opened 3 months ago and is still doing deals on rooms. We booked through Travel Republic and paid about £170 per night for a deluxe studio with a view of the bay. The morning after I arrived I phoned reception and asked if I could upgrade to a balcony room and they agreed (try and get a balcony with bay view if you can - it will make your holiday!) The room was huge andt was probably the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in. We were very comfortable. The pool area is lovely too and we only actually went to the beach once.. However, everything is expensive at the hotel and in south beach generally, so don't expect a cheap holiday Oh - and take plenty of reading material if that is your thing - there is only one decent bookshop in SoBe and that is Books&Books on Lincoln Rd.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
MondrianMiamiGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2009

Cathiejs,

Not only are we offering great deals at our property, but we are offering incredible deals at all of our properties, and if you are a repeat guest with Morgans Hotel Group you probably have been sent a few special deals and other special promotions going on throughout the year. Our Bay view and Ocean Side View Rooms are equally great room categories but I do enjoy looking out at the sunset in the afternoons with a cocktail. (oh the joys of being on vacation…) I was super excited to hear you liked the design and spaciousness of our rooms. This building was actually an old condo building before it became the Mondrian and we have not made any adjustments to the room sizes to squeeze in more rooms in the property because we wanted our guests that prefer to be off on the beach; to enjoy our oversized units, not to mention you can even buy into our Residences. The Hotel Residences at Mondrian South Beach combine all the advantages of a hotel residence with the full-services of a boutique hotel. Owners enjoy all the privileges of an exclusive hotel, including Asia De Cuba our five-star restaurant, Sunset Lounge, infinity swimming pool, gym, Agua spa, room service, private boat marina and more. A one-of-a-kind environment created by one of the world’s most sought-after designers, Marcel Wanders. I am glad your experience was a good one and we hope to have you back at the pool with your reading material very soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2009

Absolute nightmare! Tiny beds, shower overfloats the whole bathroom, very bad stowing away personal things, airconditioning was not working and on top of all that it felt like the bar was in our room, it was that noisy. Breakfast buffet tiny and chairs very dirty with stains and hair!!! The only positif point was that they were nice and made us pay only 60% of total price, but we didn't stay for our second night!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
MondrianMiamiGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2009

SnowSwitzerland ,

I am extremely sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience that your family had with us during your stay last week. I see that you booked our two bedroom suite which is one of our largest category rooms that we have offered at our property offering over 1,190 square feet in that particular guest room category; quite large for Miami I must say. We do have American Queen Size beds in our two bedrooms suites and do have rooms that have King sized beds that may have been more comfortable for you and your family. Each guest room has its own individual air-conditioning unit which is usually being used 24/7. We regret that this was not working properly the first night of your stay and wish we had the opportunity to fix this issue for you, change your room and be able to WOW your family. Friday nights happen to be one of the largest event nights for our Sunset Lounge Bar with a live DJ Spinning downstairs. When looking into room blocks for our guests, we try to accommodate our families that stay with us on higher floors or on the opposite side of the property away from our Lounge Area. When reviewing your reservation, we did not see the indication of how many children would be traveling with your wife and yourself and by the time you checked in at 6:30pm all of our two bedroom suites had already been sold out. Our Asia De Cube Restaurant currently does not offer a breakfast buffet, but a small continental breakfast choice of fruits, juices, muffins, etc as a lighter option your our morning breakfast menu.

Again, we would be delighted to have you back with us and if you do give us the opportunity to turn your experience around I am certain that you will have an amazing time. When making your next reservation with us, Please reach out to one of our front office managers so we can best accommodate your needs… We appreciate your business with us and if Mondrian was not the perfect fit for your family, still reach out to us and we will love to help you make a reservation with one of our sister properties in Miami at the Delano and Shore Club Hotels.

Reviewed 13 April 2009

I travel a pretty good amount for business - about 90 nights per year. Never have I felt so uncomfortable in a hotel as i did in this one! It is very much a place to be seen and not a good hotel for business travel. There are very few restaurants nearby and the parking is $39/night! Stay closer to Lincoln Rd.
Very interesting design if you are into that. There is a pool right along the bay and the fitness center has a nice view of downtown Miami.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business

Rengs30,
I am sorry to hear that we were not the right match for your business travels and understand that you may be used to a property or hotel group you find there is a uniformity with the same brand or product. Here at Mondrian we create an experience. We are a Boutique Hotel Group that has a wide range of different style properties and each one of our hotels is differently designed and themed. We are only four blocks away from Lincoln Road so you may not have had the time to explore the area very much because we have some of the top restaurants in the area right near our property. Barton G, Olivers, 8 Ounce Burgers, Asia De Cuba, Tapas y Tintos, Segafredo, A La Follie and much, much more are just minutes away from the doors of the hotel. If this was your first visit to South Beach then you may not be aware of the parking you cannot ever find in Miami Beach, believe me I drive here every day! Every hotel, restaurant and city parking space is either metered, manned by a city employee or is valet only so it’s quite hard to get around not paying for parking here in Miami. I was hoping to get away from all that when I moved here from New York-! I know you were here for work purposes but if you get the time for yourself and want to really experience our hotel in the cool, chic, relaxed way then feel free to give me a call and I will be sure to make your experience a good one! Believe me I know that we are not too hip or you! It’s all just hiding in you ready to explode! Come visit us again! We will take the pressure off your 90 nights per year in a “Hotel” and put you into the magical world of Mondrian. Also, you should check out Morgans Hotel Groups newest property opening in October the Ames Boston Property just right in your backyard. This property is going to be amazing and was Boston First Skyscraper! I am confident you will appreciate this hotel when it opens. We hope you consider us for a vacation spot the next time you visit Miami or one of our sister properties. Let me know if you need help with your travel planning.
Take Care and Don’t Work Too Hard!

Reviewed 1 April 2009

Me and a friend stayed here for 9 nights and I have not one bad word to say about this amazing hotel. It was a bit pricey, yes, but worth every penny. The staff were very helpful and very friendly. Excellent location. Great food! Lovely rooms with really comfortable beds and a very funky pool area/bar. Friday nights were great fun in the hotel bar. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
MondrianMiamiGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2009

LondonBee27,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks about our property. Nine Nights!!! Wow… what a Great Vacation in Miami! We are glad to see you enjoyed the Pool area and Exciting Night Life at the Sunset Lounge. The Parties are just beginning and will be getting larger with more events held throughout the year with special guest DJ's and Miami's Best Resident DJ's Spinning all night. I personally LOVE the food from Asia De Cuba as well and am interested in what you had! My Favorite Menu item is our ADC Chopped Salad- I love it so much the Chef's cannot keep me out of the kitchen! Well, we hope to have you back with us very soon and we'll have the pool chairs waiting for you next time you come!
Oh, and please make sure you provide us your email address the next time you stay with us so we can send you special deals throughout the year for all Morgans Hotel Group Properties!
Take Care ,

Reviewed 21 March 2009

My wife and I spent half the week here trying to find some relaxation and rest from NY. Although the rooms were nicely renovated, I found that the staff was inexperienced and unhelpful in catering to the needs of travelers.

1. It was raining in Miami a few days during our visit, and when I asked to borrow an umbrella the front desk told us to go back to the room and get it. Unbelievable. We did not go back t check and ended up drench.
2. The hotel pool faces west and so does not get much sun till much later in the day. David at the pool and Natalie were great though. However, I found the $16 drinks to be too expensive, even to my NY taste.
3. The rooms don't get cleaned until late in the afternoon like 4-5pm, which quite annoying. When we had the privacy sign hung up on the door, the staff still knocked on the door. Unbelievable again.
4. When we first checked in, they did not offer the bell boy services to take up the bags.
5. There was some type party on Friday evening by pool and lobby, which kept me up past 1am, all I heard was honking outside.
6. The bell boys who open the door greet you by saying "What's up?". Is that how they trained their employees to greet their guests?
7. No newspapers were made available to the guests. I enjoy reading the paper in the morning.
8. Inflexible checkout. The front desk was unable to push our checkout from12pm to 2pm because they were fully booked (so they say), however, from our observation the hotel is pretty empty.
9. The hotel is too far from the beach and restaurants, enough that you would have to walk about 20mins to get to the beach.
10. With friday nights party, I saw plastic beer cups and cigarettes littered by the stairs in the front of the hotel. Disgusting.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
MondrianMiamiGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2009

Cor8b31,
Good Evening! After reading your review you posted with us all I can say is thank you for taking the time to voice your comments after the time you had so we can look into some areas that we may be able to fix for our future guests that will stay with us. I see that you came to Miami during a time where the weather was unfortunately not very kind to us that week. We do provide guests free use of umbrellas in their guest rooms for the occasional rain shower or storm we are bound to have in Miami. In this case we are not able to store umbrellas at our front desk due to the limited amount of space we need for important documents. I feel this could have a bigger inconvenience had our lobby been in a different location from where our guest rooms are placed. (In a different tower) During the day we get the most sun in our pool deck than other properties in Miami. Our pool deck gets full sun from the late morning around 11:20am till sunset which is great because most of the hotels in Miami Beach get sun from early morning till about 3-4 in the pool areas. Our bar is one of a kind serving Brazilian Cachaca Distilled Liquor with a full menu of mixed drinks specializing in Caipirinhas. All of our bars use the freshest ingredients from Mint, passion fruit, berries, and mixers that are not served from a fountain. All Red Bull, Soda Water, OJ, etc are all out of bottles and are opened and served fresh for our guests making our drinks taste so much more superior to other bars in Miami & NY. (Just moved from NY I have been around) Since all of our guest rooms are not the typical size for a hotel room here is South Beach, our housekeeping staff may take a bit longer to service our guest rooms. Each room at our property was converted from an old apartment building here on West Avenue. Our rooms boast large spaces that are newly renovated, most with balconies and all with terrific views of the Bay and Miami Beach. As I have said in previous reviews, our property is not a scripted hotel and we want our staff to communicate with our customers in a respectful but cool chic way. We will not discipline our staff for saying “What’s up” to you when you enter our building here in Miami. This is not one of our New York properties and Miami Beach is very laid back, casual and cool. We always do our best to offer all of our customer’s late checkouts on a daily basis depending on availability and our checking-in occupancy. You may see that the hotel may be running low in the lobby spaces but we have many guests that are out at our pool area, guest who are not checking out the same day and guests that will be arriving in into the same category room that you were booked for leaving us no chance to offer a late checkout to certain categories on certain days which you would understand. Friday nights are Mondrian’s Top Night spend time on property and enjoy the scene. Our Sunset Lounge is incredibly fun to spend a Friday night in Miami with a live DJ spinning top 40’s and house. Again, depending on availability we would have been more than happy to relocate you to a different floor in you were going to stay in for the night. (I do not suggest you spend your whole time in Miami in any Miami Beach hotel guest room) Our property is also located near many great restaurants just minuets away from the hotel. Lincoln Road & Espanola Way is located about 4 blocks from our doors and a few other restaurants like Barton G, Oliver’s, Texas de Brazil, Asia de Cuba and many other great options you may have missed while in town. I feel that you may have the wrong impression about our property and if given the chance to recover your stay with us we will be more than happy to have you back with us. If you would like information about our sister properties in Miami Beach or any other hotel in Miami the next time you come down I would help you find the best fit for what kind of vacation you are looking to have here in Miami. My sincere regret that we fell short of your expectations and warm wishes in your future travels.