“FANTASTIC”

Ranked #38 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“FANTASTIC”
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We had a fantastic time !!!!! The staff was exceptional from Tim, Dave, Holly, Laura and the rest of the staff at the Mondrian. The location was great and not far from Collins Ave, Ocean Drive and Lincoln Road. The room we stood at was the most beautiful room we had ever stayed at. We ate at Asia De Cuba in the hotel and that was also exceptional as well!! one of the dishes I recommend in getting is the Tunapica for starters and ending with the most delicious bananna split enough to share. Highly recommend this hotel!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Lisamondrian, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2010
Dear Guest,
Thanks you for you very kind words. We really appreciate your taking the time to compliment our staff! Everyone mentioned is indeed a star. I could eat the Tunapica everyday by the way. I hope we see you again in the future, please stop by to say "Hello".
Lisa McCarthy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Barbados
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Just had a girls 5 day trip and thoroughly enjoyed the Mondrian! All the staff were very courteous - especially Henry the bellman who was the most helpful and genuine person. The location of the hotel was top notch. Close to the beach, shopping, a starbucks on the corner and a FANTASTIC restaurant Gusto a block away. We stayed in a one bedroom and yes could hear some of the younger partiers but once the bedroom door was closed we would hear no noise. Sundown drinks are a must with some of the yummiest cocktails we have ever had!Would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Lisamondrian, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2010
Dear Guest,
We thank you for your amazing review. I am so please that you and your friends had such a wonderful stay. Henry is indeed a joy to be around he was thrilled that you mentioned him!
Hope we see you again soon. Thank you again for your terrific feedback.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 24 May 2010

My 3-night stay with my fiancee began and ended poorly; everything in between was average to good. After checking in, we headed into the elevator to our room on the 9th floor. A woman who seemed mildly distraught was also in the elevator, and she asked us, "Does this place call itself a 5-star hotel? The beds have air mattresses on them." Uh oh.

When we got to our room, we were glad to see that the mattresses were not full of air. They were fairly soft, but I didn't have a problem with them. I might have been expected to, since I sleep on a very firm bed at home, but the mattress was fine with me. (It would have been nice if the beds came with a blanket, as opposed to just a comforter.)

The TV is fairly nice (for a hotel room) and an on-screen guide comes with the cable service, like you use at home. (Figuring out what's on what channel is sometimes frustrating when staying at hotels, and the upgraded cable service was a nice touch.)

The room itself was a bit strange. There is a big picture of an odd-looking woman staring at you on one wall. I'm sure it's a central part of their theme, but I found it disturbing. I woke up in the middle of the night during our first night there and for a second thought the Devil was staring at me from the wall.

The shower, as others have pointed out, is aesthetically beautiful. However, the shower curtain doesn't reach all the way to the floor, and there is a about a 1/2-inch barrier separating the shower floor from the bathroom floor. This inevitably leads to a significant amount of water being spilled from the shower onto the bathroom floor. Eventually, we laid out about half of the towels to soak up the water. I hope this was a design flaw of our particular room only.

Overall, the room was not my style. When I'm on the road, I prefer rooms that are cozy, elegant, and also functional; the Mondrian tries far too hard to be "hip" at the expense of these things. (For point of reference, my favorite luxury hotels are the Ritz Carlton and the Four Seasons; my favorite 3.5-4 star hotel is the Hilton.) I can easily understand why someone else's preferences might differ, though; the Mondrian room is surely more "fun" than a room at the Four Seasons.

The location of the hotel was fine with me. There's relatively little to do in the immediate area, which means you have to walk a few blocks to get anywhere, and you have to walk about a mile to get to the beach. The weather was gorgeous when we were there, so we didn't mind the strolls to Lincoln Road or to Ocean Drive. If the weather weren't so nice, the location would be a significant drawback.

Regarding the hotel culture, as others have pointed out, there are many well-dressed people strolling about. I'm perfectly comfortable in my plaid shorts and beat-up college T-shirt, so perhaps I didn't exactly fit in, but my lack of style is my choice.

Also, I believe that no straight male should wear crotch-grabbing jeans or polo shirts that are two sizes small. Yet, there was much of this to be seen in the Mondrian, although that probably says more about South Beach than the hotel. Also, I will add that there were many beautiful women in the hotel (fiancee, if you are reading this, I didn't actually look; other people told me the women were beautiful).

Although I think this hotel has some shortcomings and I was a bit disappointed for the first hour or so, overall I had a pleasant stay. When we checked out, I thought I was overcharged for some parking (the manager had lied to us, offering a reduced rate to park on the day we checked in but then withdrawing that special rate when we checked out). That undoubtedly soured my experience, and I won't go to this hotel again. However, I think this hotel could be a good choice for people who want to stay where the cool and hip come to party. Also, it seemed like there were a decent number of groups of 20-something girls who shared rooms and parties. They seemed to be having a good time, so perhaps this is a good getaway spot for the college female crowd. But if you just want to experience the best the hotel has to offer, get a drink in the bar area and stay overnight somewhere else -- you won't be missing anything special.

Good points

- Pool and gym areas have wonderful view
- Significant attention to minor but important details (Bose speakers, cable TV guide)

Bad points

- Shower is aesthetically pleasing but functionally deficient, leading to flooded bathroom floor
- Guest service is mixed; some employees extremely friendly and helpful, others borderline incompetent, condescending, and rude
- Tries too hard to be hip (imho)

5 Thank asg27
Lisamondrian, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2010
Dear Guest,
We thank you for your candid feedback. We appreciate your opinion and are happy that some aspects of the hotel were pleasing to you. Unfortunately, not every hotel suits everyone's taste and preferences. I am sorry our hotel was not the right fit for you, however each of our hotels offers and array of exciting public areas which as you discovered you may want to visit. Our hotels feature unique venues and customized experiences that we hope will please all guests.

We certainly hope you will give us another try and if not we'll seen you for cocktails at Sunset Lounge!
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Recently returned from Miami where we stayed at the Mondrian for the first week of our stay. We first had the impression that this place was a little aloof and snobby, but the staff were just extremely friendly and service-minded and the first impression was replaced by a relaxed and comfortable feeling.

Our room was large! We got a room on the 15th floor, facing the city, and that was just fine for us. Bed was huge and very comfortable.

We usually just went to Whole Foods to grab some fruit, yoghurt and coffee for breakfast. Our dishes were replaced most days, so we managed to utilize the kitchenette just fine.

The Sunday brunch by the pool was just brill. Dave - the pool concierge - was friendliness and servicemindness personified. Even though the place was croweded, he ran around smiling and chatting with everyone. The cocktail-waitressed also were really friendly.

The other days of the week, the pool area was pretty quiet, wich suited us fine. Food was fine, but drinks rather expensive.

Not too impressed by paying $15/day for internet access.

To sum up:
Hotel is close by all the hot spots of Miami Beach.
Interiors really cool
Rooms are large and clean
Gym was fine - had the basic cardio and a few machines and weights.
Staff very friendly and professional
Pool - just great!

1 Thank J-Morten
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Having already completed a fairly uncomplimentary review of this property as I was thoroughly under-whelmed within the first few hours things did actually get worse.

Business friends had heard of the Asia de Cuba restaurant there, and wanted to try it out.

They travelled over from the Ritz-Carlton, where incidentally I wish I had been staying.

The table was booked for 7:30 and they were running late, I informed the girl at the desk who reminded me of the 15minute rule where I would lose my table.
I looked down the totally empty restaurant, and queried if they were serious. As such I moved the booking to a later time.

Friends arrived and we attempted to get a drink in the pool area which had thankfully started to reduce in the number of gold chain clad wanna be rappers.

After around 10 minutes our pool waitress arrived, we were sat very close to the bar. To produce two cocktails and three glasses of wine took thirty minutes?!

She apologised for the wait, and I signed for the bill which included service, so I actually paid around 15 dollars for the "service" of a forty minute wait.

We went to dinner there was now one other table occupied so again I wonder where the 15 minute rule comes in.

The food was actually very good if a little over-seasoned. Friends and I are all keen foodies so we naturally tried a considerably amount of the menu. One item ordered was plain, steamed rice this came out last of all for some reason?

Naturally we had spent a considerable about of money on that dinner so when friends went to reclaim their car from the valet I was amazed at the following;

They were carrying children who were asleep, the valets were messing around in their hut and told me to wait when I approached them.

I returned back to friends, after some time the valet called us over, he did not think to approach us despite is carrying sleeping kids.

The training and service here is so very poor.

Further observations, they have no markings outside the property so difficult to find.
It’s not actually on a beach!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Travellersblues
Argentina
Reviewed 9 May 2010

I was in the mood for a trendy hotel this time so I booked the Mondrian during the weekend and the the Ritz Carlton for the weekdays. I am glad I did so as even though we had a nice stay here, it would have been too much to stay longer. The building hosts the hotel and private appartments. The lobby is impressive with its surrealistic modern decor and continues into Asia de Cuba restaurant, all in white, the Sunset lounge and then the magnificent pool with views of the Miami skyline. The crowd is young, diverse in races and sexual orientation, under 50, not as classy as I expected, with a mix of guests and owners that arrive mostly during the weekend. Service is really good at the front desk and pool. We booked thru Travelzoo at $195 and got an uprgrade to a suite with views of Miami Beach. There is a noticeable latin influence in the ambience specially in the music that is played everywhere, which I did not like. Decor and style is not for everybody so it's logical to read mixed reviews about it. I liked it, my wife didn't. Location is good but not excellent as you are 8 blocks from either Lincoln Rd or the beach. Since the Delano is a sister property, you get beach access there. The lounge was packed on Friday night but noise did not reach our room in the 9th floor. We enjoyed our stay here and eventually would come back if rates are really attractive.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 8 May 2010

We had a great stay here and made our first time in miami that much better. Rooms are large and very modern. Only ate at the restaurant once for breakfast but food and service was very good -- the ambiance in the morning provides a fantastic way to start your day. Everything is pricey for those that are price sensitive. If you are looking for nightlife, hotel offers some events but generally the bar is good place to start off your evening, with the hotel having a pool party on Sunday nights. If you are looking for beach access Mondrian is somewhat out of the way. It is about a 15min walk or 5 min cab ride straight across 11th, so access isn't immediate. Lincoln Road Mall is about 10 min walk north up Alton Rd. Overall, great job Mondrian Miami!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple