“The Betsy Review - Excellent hotel for our honeymoon!”

The Betsy - South Beach
Ranked #17 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 23 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at The Betsy Hotel mid June for 4 nights as part of our honeymoon travels. We loved every minute of our stay here! This Hotel in my opinion, based on the experience my wife and I had, is pure class! Great location on south beach, beautiful décor from the lobby and throughout but more importantly in the rooms!

Check in was effortless and My wife and I were in our room within minutes of arriving after being assisted by Robert the doorman.
My wife and I stayed in an Ocean View King room, the view did not disappoint. When we were shown in by Robert, we were quite simply speechless, the room was huge and so was the bed (we were left wondering how big a suite would be if this was the size of our room!), it was elegantly but simply decorated in soothing relaxing colours. Our room, as you would expect from a hotel of this calibre, had all the mod cons, 2 large LCD TV’s, I-pod dock, in room bar, tea/coffee facilities, separate lounge area, massive bathroom with his & hers areas where another TV was built into the mirror (cool touch). My wife joked (but I’m sure she was serious ha ha …) that she would love our home to be decorated in the same way!

My only criticisms are small and would not put us of staying here again! First off the Concierge called Paul, well I’ll be polite about this, but I've never ever came across someone more pretentious than this guy! His customer service manner is somewhat questionable and my wife and I felt after attempting to deal with him that we were not worth his time or attention. Out of the whole of Miami and South beach he was only able to recommend 1 bar/pub which was 1block down from the hotel, his leading line was “Its and Irish bar, your Irish!” … In comparison, the doormen were able to offer 10 times the amount of suggestions and that’s all I shall say on the manner!

My second criticism is the hotels BLT restaurant. My wife and I must have dined their on a bad night, as our dining experience left us feeling as if we had eaten in a different place after hearing & reading so many good reports and reviews about it! Our service was lack lustre and it seemed as if our server seen it as a chore to serve us. The food, when we received it was and I’m sorry to say this, just average! Unfortunately it seems that we did not receive the same experience as other reviewers before us!

I would like to give a special mention to Jorge & Robert the doormen, who went above and beyond being pleasant to us as guests! Within hours of arriving they both greeted us, upon entering and leaving, as Mr & Mrs S****** and after telling them to call us by our first names they would not pass us without asking how we were, how our day was and if there is anything they could help with! Truly a credit to the Betsy’s hotel staff, Jorge even walked us out and shook our hands and said it had been great meeting us (maybe Paul could learn a thing or two from them!)!

Finishing on a high note, our stay here was superb! All in all we couldn’t have wished or hoped for a better hotel to stay in as part of our honeymoon. The Betsy well and truly delivered in that respect and my wife and I would most definitely go back without any hesitation!

Mr & Mrs S.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Betsy - South Beach

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Overall, I loved the hotel- clean, beautiful, great location, friendly and helpful staff, good value in a land of expensive food and hotels. The only negative was the poor sound proofing of the room. The floors are beautiful, but being on the first floor, I could hear someone walking in high heels above us. In the morning, I could hear every noise in the hallway and we had a pool view room, so one family decided to visit the pool every morning at 8:00 and they would let the children scream and splash, practically right under our window. Not a pleasant way to wake up. My husband could hear the running water all night long from the rooms above us (I managed to sleep through that).
The only other problems we had trying to get ice and pillows. I had asked for non-down pillows before arrival, but there was down in the room. I asked someone at the front desk for ice and hypo-allergenic pillows the next morning after check-in, but when we came back to the room in the afternoon, it had not been done. My husband spoke to a different person at the front desk and she was very apologetic. We promptly had this corrected and I guess to make up for it, we had turn-down service for the rest of our stay (supposedly this is not done in the summer months)
Our room rate included continental breakfast at BLT each morning and the resort fee. We made use of the umbrella and beach chairs everyday.
I would have given the hotel a 4.5 due to the noise, but TA doesn't let me do that! I won't let that one desk clerk spoil the rest of the wonderful staff or lower the rating.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

We have just returned back from our stay in Miami and I felt compelled to write a review about The Betsy Hotel. As many others have before I booked the hotel based on the reviews on this site and we were not disappointed. The hotel is in a great location at one end of Ocean Drive and is directly across the road from the beach (literally 50 yards away). The reception area is beautiful and the decor is very tasteful. Our room was ready early and check in was simple and our bags taken to our room straight away. The room was perfect and the bathroom is of amble size. We had a King Room with Ocean View and I have to say I thought the room size was perfect and do not understand some of the comments re the room sizes. The TV in the bathroom mirror is a very cool addition.

We eat in the BLT restaurant in the hotel and it was by far the best meal and service (Raphael) we have ever had. The Popovers before the starter are to die for and I will be trying to make some at home. The meal was a little pricey ($280 for two included a bottle of wine, starters and main) but well worth it. The breakfast was also amazing and really good value.

The roof top terrace is also amazing and offers great views of the beach, Ocean Drive and also Downtown Miami.

We were away to celebrate my fiancés birthday and I had mentioned this to the hotel beforehand. When we returned to our room after a walk out the concierge had left a bottle of champagne, strawberries and a birthday note on the table. This was a really nice touch so thank you Paul.

We will definitely be returning to the Betsy and I would highly recommend the hotel to others. The level of service was exceptional and the hotel is perfect. I have included some photos of the room and hotel.

Room Tip: Book early.
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Betsy hotel, the rooms were very clean and the location is wonderfull. We arranged our stay true Priceline, but while checking out the hotel charged us the room (again, off course we had paid priceline). After a little while the problem was solved, but the staff wouldn't admit that it was their fault, not ours. A little disappointment after a nice stay...

2  Thank Suzanne_Veen
Reviewed 17 July 2011

The attention and assistance of Robert the doorman was outstanding. The desk staff was friendly and extremely helpful. We had a delicious lunch prior to checkin on the rooftop deck and Eswin, who waited on us, went downstairs to check on the status of our room without even being asked.
Our suite and bath were ultra clean, not to mention beautifully decorated.
Great location, great service. Go there!

Reviewed 16 July 2011

Lovely hotel situated at the nice end of Ocean Drive, just across the drive from the beach. Staff very friendly and helpful. Bar nice, but a tad expensive for cocktails at $14 each. Pool is acceptable, but who needs a pool with a beach like they have? Hotel is very 'colonial' in style, and I have to say I loved it, and I travel alot. For the price you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't bother asking for a seavuew, cos it;s not worth it. Too many trees
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We arrived at the Betsy at around 4am ... the night front desk guy(cant remember his name) was super nice and checked us in super quick. We got up to our room and it was too cute for words. The room was super clean the decor was cute books to read ... tv in the bathroom and in the bedroom. Anywhere we went in the hotel the staff was always really helpful with where to go eat or where the best night spots are at ... local spots not tready expensive spots but still super fun for half the cost of the night out ... when checking out they stored our luggage for us for no fee because our flight wasnt untill 5pm so we could do last min shopping and site seeing. I would completely stay here again ... i wish i could remember the night front desk guys name because he was sooo nice about the situation we were in ... the betsy is the best hotel in south beach!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends