“A few bumps, but enjoyable” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Fritz Hotel

The Fritz Hotel
Ranked #96 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Upper Marlboro
“A few bumps, but enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2009

Since this was a family trip, I decided to find a place that would comfortably accommodate us. We got a 2-bedroom 2-bathroom ocean view suite. I looked at the website prior to booking and read some reviews, and I still wasn't really sure what to expect. The lobby is down the alley way. I didn't particularly care for that, but it wasn't a big deal. It wasn't even a real lobby...just a big area with a couch and a reception desk you'd see in a small office. The front desk person wasn't even there. We waited for about 5 minutes and then just started yelling out for someone. A guy who was doing some renovation said he'd go find the front desk person for us. Our room wasn't ready so we left our bags in the nightclub area, which is closed for some reason, and went to eat.

When we got to the room, we were pleasantly surprised. The room was huge, and set up like a roommate style condo. It was decorated very nicely; hardwood floors, 2 large bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, nice fully-stocked kitchenette, with stainless steel appliances, huge living area, ocean view balcony in the master bedroom, 3 flat screen TVs... The beds were very comfortable too. The only negative about the room was that the walls desperately needed painting. It looks like there were large holes in the walls and they were patched up, but never painted. Also, there were no remotes for the TVs. Later that night, as we were coming it, the guy said he forgot to give them to us, and reached in a drawer full of remotes and pulled them out.

The hotel is going green, which I can appreciate, however, that meant no hot water during certain times of the day. The lights were very dim too, but as the day went on, they got brighter. They were doing renovations in the restaurant/lounge area, so we only got to use that area to go in and out of the hotel during the evening hours. We had to use the alley all other times. During the day, that's fine, but I would not want to be caught in that alley alone at night. The pool was also closed, as they were awaiting some kind of permit. It would've been nice to know that before I booked, but we just went to another hotel and used their pool instead. The front desk guy said the pool was clean and we could use it if we wanted, but after a quick look at it, we decided that wasn't an option.

Also, the front desk person didn't really give me the impression he actually worked there. I know he did, but I haven't been to many hotels where people don't wear some type of uniform and/or name tag. They were all plain clothes employees, including the cleaning staff. And there are no "do not disturb" signs, so even if you don't want your room cleaned (which we didn't), you don't have a choice. There was also no help with the bags to and from the hotel.

As for the noise...one night was really noisy. The noise didn't even start until about 2 am, and went on until about 4 am. It was so loud I thought it was in our room.

Overall, the stay was pleasant, and I would return to this hotel and/or recommend it to a friend...especially if there are more than 2 people. The 2-bedroom suite could comfortably fit 6.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Polish first
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

I booked a room (2 bedroom suite) at the Casanova Suites based on the reviews from this site and the pictures of the hotel from another. I was very disappointed in the overall experience. The hotel lobby is in the basement, very tiny and not in good shape. There are really no normal hotel amenities available. The man at the front desk had rips in his jeans and in the crotch area...very inappropriate. The hotel smelled moldy, the walls look like they hadn't been painted in over 10 years. When we got to the room, I must say it was big. However, there were all sorts of stains on the curtains and my teenage daughters found a bunch of used condoms under the bed. Ewww!!!!! All in all, it was a less than enjoyable stay.

2 Thank Speedster07
manute
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2009

We stayed three days before the weekend and we had an enjoyable stay(business), the suites were beautiful (as shown on the pictures) everything was walking distance, there is a restaurant on the second floor (food was fine) recommend a mini-market that is like 2 blocks from there(if you are planning to save) . I stayed with a partner on the two bedroom two bath suite, very spacious, roomy with a great decoration; excellent place to go with friends or if you have a big family. The staff was great, knowledgeable of the area and professional, we had the experience to meet the manager, very courteous and amiable. I would definitely recommend this place not only for the location, but for the unbelievable suites, and the prices that you pay for which it cannot be beaten by any other hotel in south beach.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
okeechobee,fl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

this hotel is not on the beach, the pool is under construction--not enough room---definatley not a big enough dining table---staff knows nothing esp. when it somes to getting refunds---had to get a different hotel--had children when room was booked--but this is definatley not a place for kids----especially with half-nude pics on the wall of this particular room--had nipple and everything--room sucked!!! no remote for tv and very small balcony--oh but who cares when you take a risk of getting hit by the vistors in the opposite hotel flinging beer cans on the top of this hotel from the balcony of their hotel?????bad bad experience for my kids!!!oh yeah almost forgot--valet parking only--for $30.00 a night!!!!!!!

1 Thank red34974h
Mississauga, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2009

After reading the reviews and not having any traveller's pictures to look at - I decided to book 3 nights at the Casanova Suites on the Beach. When we first arrived to the hotel we were greeted by hotel staff and escorted up to our room. The elevator was not working on our first day there so we had to take the stairs up to our room. The stairs were old and needed to be renovated. Judging by the stairs myself and my friends were scared about what our room would look like. When we entered our room - we were surprised that it looked exactly like the professional pictures. The suite was spacious, the beds/pull-out sofa were comfortable and cozy, and the bathroom was clean. The kitchen came fully stocked with beverages and food which were available for purchase.

The hotel was right across from the beach and located next to frequent restaurants/lounges and bars. I would highly recommend the hotel to all travellers.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2009

My stay at this hotel was amazing, the attention of the staff work was excellent,.....;) food good, the perfect view .. and the price (omg) is the best !!! lol... ... is a perfect hotel for anyone without the pool is spectacular........=)

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2009

This hotel was amazing!!! My stay at the Casanova was nothing but a pleasure and the perfect get away for a weekend. The atmosphere, rooms, and staff are outstanding!! The room is breathtaking and the only one of its kind on south beach, if you're looking for a lot of space this is the hotel for you! The beds are huge and very comfortable, and with a full kitchen equipped with all of the essentials, two full baths there is no other hotel like it. I will definetly visit the Casanova again and my return visit to South Beach will include the Casanova with out a doubt. This hotel is clean, new, and a great location for all of your vacation needs. There is also an amazing bar/lounge/resturant that I would reccommend to anyone! If you are looking for a great vacation like my friends and I where, then you better book the Casanova Suites, the best deal on the beach!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends