“AMAZING!!!! BEST PLACE TO STAY IN SOUTH BEACH!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #38 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“AMAZING!!!! BEST PLACE TO STAY IN SOUTH BEACH!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

I travel to South Beach often and have stayed at all the so called "top" places. The Raleigh, Delano, Fountain Blue, and none of them even come close to The Surfcomber. The staff here is amazing!!! From the front desk all the way down to the cleaning crew. They took care of anything and everything. The renovations are top notch, nothing was over looked. Close to all the shopping and restaurants. if you truly want the South Beach experience you have to stay here. Ive already booked my trip back with them.

7 Thank Yigal Y
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Yigal Y -
Thank you for the amazing posting.
I look forward to meeting you upon your return.
Sean McKeen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Hi. Alessandra Stanley had an excellent piece in the www.travel.nytimes.com. Her cover piece in the travel section was about Fisher Island and a spring break trip with her daughter. It was Paradise Lost- A Mother- Daughter Spring Break. "I loved everything about it but it did not love me back".. which brings me to: PARADISE FOUND: A MOTHER - DAUGHTER SPRING BREAK at the Surfcomber- a Kimpton hotel. We have had an incredibly stressful year and I have an amazing 16 year old daughter. We also looked at Fisher island and thought it to be isolated and as Julia said, "geriatric" and we did not want a huge resort.I frequently stay at the Kimpton Muse in NYC and they recommended their charming new Surfcomber.

I corresponded with them to inquire as to rates, location and that we would have one day of college visits. From the first communication..everything was well... perfect. Araldo Sanchez, the concierge reached out and asked us if we had a favorite family photo and what were we generally interested in.. besides.. of course.. "sleeping.. Alessandra was correct about that for sure!

We took the splurge .rented a convertible and it is quick and easy drive to 1717 Collins Avenue from Fort Lauderdale. ( The Surfcomber is a neighbor of the Delano) We arrived early and and were able to check in to a spotless room and there waiting was a lovely welcome note from Winnie in guest services, chilled water, wine, chocolate and our picture in an adorable frame.

The property has a small pool area and full beach service.. it is "on the beaten path, but not on it"
The room rate is quite reasonable and if you become a Kimpton Member which is free.. you have free internet access, $15.00 help yourself to the mini bar, and other very nice perks. There is a daily wine cocktail hour from 5 to 6 pm at the pool and in the lobby.

The hotel is steps from Lincoln Mall, steps from Ocean Drive and has a wonderful walking and running path. We asked a million questions.. all were answered with patience and humor. Do try Juvea , it is on the 11th floor at the end of Lincoln Mall with spectacular views, the Meat Market and Baio.

We did have an adventure, after visiting Barry University, for a college visit and tour. I thought sightseeing was in order and somehow we ended up in Miami Port Authority with lots of big ships and lots and lots of homeland security and of course we were stopped. Julia was horrified. It was actually hilarious.

The hotel is also two blocks from Walgreens, so easily got a cheap cooler and soda and water for extra beach supplies. But the team at the Surfcomber has everything pool side.

The Surfcomber is the best kept secret. Kudos to Sean McKeen, the General Manager, Araldo Sanchez, Vanessa, Winnie, Jennifer and the entire team. It was perfect, in every way.

Room Tip: We did to use the spa services and get a breakfast card or walk down the street to any of the excell...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Victoria N
Victoria N -
Thank you so much for the great posting.
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for denoting so many of the employees who helped create your special stay.
We look forward to hosting your next visit.
Sean McKeen
Hayward, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

This was my first time in Florida. I had such a great experience that I'm not sure how to put it in words. Vanessa Serpa checked us in and I must say she has a GREAT sense of humor, very friendly, plus a gorgeous smile. She was very polite and let us know which side of the building had bigger rooms and that there will be an extra $100 hold/deposit just in case we break anything in the room. I honestly feel she provided better customer service than her supervisor. Though her supervisor was nice, but not as friendly and outgoing as Vanessa! If I was the manager, I would give Vanessa a promotion and a raise for making customers feel very welcome because after talking to her, I knew I was going to enjoy my stay. So give her a bonus will ya! =)

The rooms were very clean and the bed is super comfortable. Vanessa was right about the room being bigger than the other side of the building (we had friends staying on the other side and their room was smaller). When we called for any kind of room service, they came right away.

I spent a lot of time in Lantao, their restaurant. Each worker was super friendly and they made me feel like part of the family. Special shout out to the Lantao employee's, Carol (my #1 waitress), Dominic (another cool waiter), Cecilia (bartender), Dohani & Margarise.

The beach was also great! Shout out to Pepe (our server on the beach).

I highly recommend this hotel. I fully enjoyed my stay and wished I could stay much longer. Even though it was my first time in Florida, I would not consider staying any where else. So don't think twice!

Satisfied customer,
Kim Eap

Room Tip: Ask for Vanessa and she will tell you.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Kim E -
Wow, thank you for the amazing posting.
I will spread the praise around, especially for Vanessa.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

I recently traveled to South Beach for a girls trip with some of my sorority sisters and we stayed at the surcomber. We had a blast. The service was very good. The location was great. Walking distance to everything including the beach. The pool area and cabanas were great and to top it off the everyday happy hour and bar food was fabulous. I would stay at the surcomber again. It was a very good exerperience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Felicia G
Felicia G -
Thank you for the great posting.
We are so happy you enjoyed your sorority get together with us.
Let's do it again next year.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

We recently spent 8 nights at the Surfcomber for a business conference I had to attend in town and an event taking place at the hotel over the weekend. Overall, the stay was very nice. The hotel is nicely updated and appointed, and the vibe is very 'South Beach' yet friendly and welcoming. The front desk staff was very helpful throughout our stay, including arranging for early check in and assisting with various needs including housekeeping service, a change of pillows from feather to hypoallergenic, valet service, and minibar service. We appreciate that the hotel is pet-friendly, as we never travel without our beloved, little Yorkie princess, and she was welcomed and complimented by all staff she met during our stay. We also enjoyed our room decor and the contemporary touches like the glass-enclosed shower and vessel sink. The bathroom felt a bit small to us, but this is easily excused as we're used to a palatial batroom at home! Sleep quailty was quite good with a comfortable bed and pillows, however racous guests in the halls shouted at all hours of the night and we were frequently jolted awake by party-goers from Thursday through Monday. Again, not the fault of the hotel and it is to be expected anywhere on South Beach. The evening wine reception was a nice touch, as well. Finally, the hotel handled the weekend event we attended with grace and poise, as they were at capacity and were hosting many extra visitors at the pool parties.

The only opportunity for improvement I recommend would be offering at least a few vegetarian-friendly menu options for the hotel restaurant and room service. Breakfast was fine, but as for lunch and dinner, then only non-meat option was a tofu and veggie stir fry that featured oyster sauce, which is not appropriate for true vegetarians like us. We would have enjoyed the opportunity to eat and drink at the hotel from time to time during our long stay, but as they did not offer suitable food, we had to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard or pool offer the best view!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
jigsnreels
Thank you for the nice posting.
We appreciate all the praise.
We will look into a few more appropriate vegetarian options.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

Thanks to the staff at Surfcomber my first visit to Miami was enjoyable. My first night was spent at a hotel that was deemed unfit for me. I walked a few hotels down and came across Surfcomber. The staff allowed me to tour a room prior to reserving despite be the busiest time of day. The next day the staff extended their hospitality even more by checking for the availability of rooms for early check-in. The restaurant staff's customer service was superior. I definately look forward to staying at this hotel my next visit to Miami!!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
AngelaJ766
Thank you for the great hospitality posting.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

If you are lucky enough to travel, you know that it is not the brick and mortar aspects of a hotel that make a vacation memorable. It is the special details, unique features, kind gestures and overall comfort that create a treasured experience. Our recent stay at the Surfcomber provided all of that and more. From the moment we arrived, we felt welcome and we were delighted to be there. The staff is simply unbelievable. We were in town for our anniversary. The staff at the front desk greeted us with anniversary wishes and seemed genuinely happy that we had survived the years! We were then taken to our room by Brian, who could not have been more helpful, providing us with lots of pertinent information about the hotel and the surrounding area. Shortly after settling in, there came a knock at the door. There was a special delivery of champagne and a huge plate of chocolate covered strawberries, compliments of the hotel with a lovely congratulatory note from the chef! The tone for our weekend was truly set and we will always remember their thoughtfulness when we reflect back on our special anniversary. Thanks to all of you!
Now for the details. The rooms are decorated retro style but all furnishings are new and tres chic. We had a king size bed which was quite comfortable. The bathrooms are small, as is the usual in original South Beach hotels. They are, however, quite modern with a sleek glass vessel sink and surround. Our room was located toward the back of the hotel and we found it to be very quiet.
The location of the hotel is excellent, on the beach and within walking distance of the promenade at Lincoln Ave. The promenade offers several blocks of outdoor cafes of every cuisine as well as unique shops. It's a great place to stroll, grab an outdoor table and people watch. (We had lunch at YUCA which offers Cuban cuisine and special rate cocktails in the afternoon. The food was delicious and the service excellent.)
The pool area is lovely, with plenty of beach chairs and attendants who are eager to place your towels and assure your comfort. There are also cabanas for those who wish to avoid the sun. The beach is just on the other side of the pool and looked lovely. As it rained our second day there, we did not spend time on the beach but there are chairs and umbrellas available.
The hotel offers wine every afternoon, which can be enjoyed in the very comfortable lobby or at tables outside or around the pool. Tea and coffee are also complimentary in the morning.
We ordered room service dinner from the on-site restaurant and it was very good.
Overall, it was a thoroughly enjoyable stay and we hope to have the opportunity to return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Good2GoPa
Wow, thank you so much for the perfect posting.
It’s true the people really create the experience and we are lucky to have such a great team that values our guests.
And you’re so right, the people watching on Lincoln road is amazing.