“Road Warrior Enjoyed”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Memphis, TN
“Road Warrior Enjoyed”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I had to do a 38 hour trip for business in Miami. Decided to do PriceLine for the 2 nights and landed in the Beachcomber. I was VERY satisfied with the room....EXTREMELY clean. Coffee in lobby....hot and iced...starting at 6am. The night manager called me at 5:45 to alert me the coffee was out. Nice feel to hotel...no thumping music at pool....great pool scene to beach access without being too over the top.
Now about S. Beach.....with NO traffic it is a 23 minute taxi ride to airport. All the beach-front hotels on Collins from The SeaBourne to The Royal Palms look good. I walked into all of them (stayed at Delano on a previous visit.) The most understated with a elegant, cool vibe was The Raliegh...may stay there next time just to check it out.
Main drag off Collins is Lincoln Street...nice for a stroll...cigar bar on left and a PAUL patissere. Lot's of retail on this drag, although none TOP SHELF (Hemes, Tiffany, etc.) but still a nice walk.
Unable to endorse any finer resturants as I did not have time to explore. Southbeach is a people watching place and the folks are toned and beautiful. Ocean Drive is neat but doubt a single woman would feel safe strolling it at night.
Would happily stay at Beachcomber again. Everyone was helpful and I may return just to flirt with the gorgeous female staff. My room had no leaks and I have not yet received any erroneous charges to my credit card.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 307...clean and looked onto walkwat to pool
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Jabronie
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Jabronie -
Interesting perspective on things.
I do enjoy reading reviews from a seasoned traveler who has seen it all.
Thx for the great posting and we look forward to your return.
Sean McKeen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I recently stayed at the Surfcomber on Tuesday, May 29th. I was able to obtain my room through priceline and got one of the larger rooms. The staff was very friendly and helpful including new trainee Andre. There was a small mix up with our car valet and the hotel graciously comped the expense. The pool is lovely, well maintained and spacious. Access to the beach is also very nice. The one thing, very small was the groundskeeper and the leaf blower, it only lasted 20 minutes or so but it was just way too loud. Wondering is sweeping is out of the question? Either way, this stay is worthy of an excellent, my room was spacious and I belive it might have something to do with it being a wheelchair accesible room. The complimentary wine and sangria hour by the pool was a lovely treat. I would definitely return and enjoyed my stay immensely.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor room 309, very spacious, and quiet, although no ocean/pool view, adequate...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
ConeyIslandJanet -
Thank you for your contribution and your nice comments.
We will look into the leaf blowing.
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I was heading to Canada via Ft. Lauderdale airport and decided make a slight diversion for a night in South Beach to see Chris Cornell play at the Filmore Theater. The Surfcomber was perfectly situated for a 4-minute walk to the show. Little did I know I'd be treated to a free happy hour with some very good wine in the hotel lobby, offered by some very hip, very cool staff. After dropping off my car with valet for about $34/night (ouch!) I dropped my bag in the room and grabbed a glass of wine and headed out the back of the hotel past the pool to the Boardwalk, which was alive with locals and tourists alike on roller blades, jogging and generally just enjoying the evening and beach access.
Very small rooms- if you're claustrophobic or otherwise prefer to make your room the focal point of your stay, you might want to stay elsewhere. Decor is South Beach, which included a purple and light blue mix of color in the room. A bit daunting on the eyes, but I didn't spend enough time in the room to care. The action was downstairs and was lively during cocktail hour and all the time right outside. The best restaurants are only a few minutes walk down the street, and there are plenty of places to eat.
For a clean room at a reasonable price (for South Beach) - about $180 I believe, friendly hip staff and awesome location, this place worked out very nicely for what I needed to enjoy a night in Miami Beach to see an amazing show.

Room Tip: Request a larger room if they have any. My room was set up for handicapped shower, so perhaps it was...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Bill M
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Bill M
That’s so cool, going to Chris Cornell at the Fillmore and enjoying your stay with us.
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I'd read the reviews before going so I knew what to expect. Small rooms, good location. I was fine with that.

What I did not expect was the lack of knowledge from the front desk staff. Yes, they're cute, bubbly, and friendly. But do they know a lot and can recommend decent things - no. I find that shocking for a hotel located in such a touristy area.

I would have let that slide as well, had it not been for a transportation issue. Frankly, the girl at the front had no knowledge of how and where I should catch the Airport Flyer back to the airport. This is a shuttle bus with the public transportation system (#150). I had planned on taking a cab back with a couple of people who were on my trip but they had to unexpectedly leave early. So I decided to economize and take the bus. I had taken it in from the airport and it was fine. I had done my research and knew where to get on and off. I didn't look into the return trip since I didn't think I needed to. I asked the girl at the front where and when I should catch the bus. She said across the street. But that was the stop I had gotten off at. I told her this and she said no, that's where I get on. So according to her, I get on at that stop and take the bus all the way down south beach until that route finishes and then stay on the bus for the return trip back up to the airport. Why on earth would I do that?? Regardless, I thought she must know what she's talking about. Then I asked her time and she said on the half hour. Again I said - that's the time this bus leaves the airport. Every half hour on the dot. She snarkily replied - "there's more than one bus you know." And that it leaves from that bus stop on the half hour as well. Well when I had gotten off the bus when arriving, I had gotten there at about the 40 minute mark so that didn't make sense. Again, I didn't argue and went back up to grab my luggage. As I'm leaving, the man at the front door asks if I'm taking a cab and I said no, just the bus. He points me down the road to a westbound bus stop - NOT what the front desk girl said. I asked him why not the one across the street, that's what the girl said. He said no, that would take me on a loop. Better to catch the one that is already heading to the airport than to take a loop all around south beach. I get to the bus stop, the bus arrives at the 50 minute mark and it takes me 40 minutes to the airport - not the 60+ minutes she said it would take.

I just want to say that I can forgive a lot. It's a tiny touristy hotel and having to rent beach chairs, crowded pool and small rooms are fine. They have a lot of pluses like happy hour, nice pool, and a cute lobby. But not knowing the transportation to and from the airport is unacceptable - especially for a hotel that relies on the tourist trade. By providing people with incorrect information, you are messing with people's flights. This is just irresponsible.

I have a few other grievances, which I'm not going to bother airing. What I will say to fellow travelers is that it's a fine hotel in a great location. But do your own research when it comes to food, transportation, spas, and shopping. The front desk is totally unhelpful in all of those areas.

3 Thank mango611
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
mango611 -
Super disappointed to read your posting and experience with us.
Thank you for mentioning a few positives.
I must admit we have not trained our team on public bus airport schedules and routes.
We will albeit moving forward.
I appreciate your feedback.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 May 2012

This is a happening place! It is a small hotel with small, but clean rooms. It is interesting that for the whole time we were there, I never saw a male around the front desk area--only 20-something, beautiful young women, who were full of smiles and personality, but not particularly skilled or professional. The lobby has steel drum music and lots of young people hanging out at the bar. I rate the place a solid 3-1/2 stars and recommend it for young folks on college break or a group of the young singles out for a good time.

One thing I did not know before I arrived--the beach directly in front of the hotel is not part of the resort. The beach has a private vendor, and chairs and umbrellas must be rented on a daily basis. The beach is also covered in garbage, very crowded and has homeless people sleeping on it. Just an FYI.

The pool area was nice, somewhat but crowded--one day there were no chairs for us to use. The pool itself had a slime from sunscreen floating on the top--I did not go in the water. The pool area was understaffed for the crowd.

The bathrooms are very small and have fake tile around the tub. It looks real until you look closely and realize it is formica. But, the rooms are quite clean.

The gym is a tiny room with a couple of machines off the pool with 7 foot ceilings. It felt like a cave. Not appealing. There is no spa, which was disappointing. We did go to a great place, though, called Massage by Design at 959 West Ave. Highly recommended.

I doubt I would go back, but then again, I am a bit too old for the place. It does not cater to the over-50 crowd.

Room Tip: Most rooms have no view, so location would not make much of a difference.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank kellycares
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
kellycares -
Thank you for the posting.
We will utilize your review to share with the team and develop these opportunities.
Warm Regards
Waterford, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Surfcomber from May 10th - 15th. As has been repeated many times, but we can say again with great enthusiasm: the staff was the greatest. They were friendly, helpful, and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. Jonathan, one of the pool staff, very graciously rearranged lounge chairs and umbrellas not one day, but two, in order to accommodate 4 of us who wanted to be together. Vanessa and everyone who staffed the Front Desk answered every question, and gave us helpful information. We were guests at the hotel over Mother's Day, and every mother received a rose. The rooms were newly remodeled, everything was clean and spotless. I slept like a log on their bed. The location was within walking distance to shopping and restaurants on Ocean Drive and Lincoln Road. We would definitely come again.

Judy C -
I love your description about sleeping on our beds.
I slept like a log. I find that so funny & entertaining.
Agawam, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Just got back from a weeks stay there. The hotel goes above & beyond to accomodate what you need. We arrived early on a Sat morning and our room was ready. Pool staff was great. Loved the ice water daily at the pool, use of sunblock and the covers for the chairs so you didn't have to lay on someone's sweaty lounge chair. They even had the covers for the rented chairs on the beach. Great location to all restaurants and shops, no need for a vehicle. We took a couple of side trips and tour company picked us up right outside of the hotel on the curb. Overall great time. Only complaint was the hotel next door was under construction and they started by 7AM! A pair of earplugs worked great to drown out the noise. Rooms are small which was a general comment shared by all comments. Found we had to ask for extra towels to be left in the room to accomodate showers.

2 Thank 84snickers
84snickers -
We are so happy that you enjoyed our location & overall experience.
Thank you for staying with us.