“Perfect for Solo Travelers”

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #39 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
amherst,ma
“Perfect for Solo Travelers”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

For women traveling solo, this Kimpton hotel sets the Gold Standard.
When I arrived, Brian the bellman took my suitcase and said " Welcome home."
What an incredibly warm B&B type of greeting after a long day of journeying!
To a fault, each and every staff person at this property was gregarious and accomodating.
As an allergic/asthmatic with chemical sensitivities, it can be tough to find a hotel that
does not compel me to be using my inhaler every day just to fend off pervasive Febreze or
some other noxious perfumy scent that is mistaken for "fresh" air.My linens and towels were neutralized before my arrival; I was assured that the NoSmoking rule was maintained with vigilance;
and the hotel itself was refreshingly free of chemical odors of any kind. In Florida particularly, smoking appears to be prevalent, but here I did not have to inhale secondhand smoke anywhere on the grounds, as opposed to many other properties. ( For instance, at the Eden Roc,where I had been the day before, all the smokers are provided a smoking " lounge" directly outside all three exits to the pool and ocean area, such that I was forced to "run the gauntlet" each time I went outside. And at Harbor Beach Marriott in Ft Lauderdale, all the smokers are allowed to smoke directly in front of both entrances to the lobby... crazy stuff around smoking in Florida hotels and very retro....in a bad way.)

Whomever wrote that the hotel is like an '80's apt complex as no aesthetic sensibility whatsoever..............their lobby is possibly the most artistically designed & furnished
( think: art deco meets post-modern minimalist) I've seen yet in SOBE or Ft Lauderdale.
The Social Club bar had a low-key inviting vibe and the bartender ( I believe her name was Jillian) was congenial and skillful. My second night, she was training a woman and, instead of it becoming a trying customer ordeal, they included me in the process and it was actually fun.
Their Happy Hour menu is FABULOUS . Check this out : for a grand total of $16.00 , I had a 3 course dinner : ribs, mahi-mahi taco, and a surprising tasty cod-and-Kimchee cabbage dish.

In fact , you can eat well within a budget at Lantao, which charges uninflated prices for their Asian fusion fare. If you like spicey, it doesn't get more delectable than their offerings.
The waiter was attentive and like everyone else,related to me as if he were an an old dear friend or school chum, welcoming me at each meal.

The word " hospitality" was invented to describe this staff, and God knows, from reading Trip Advisor reviews, this is a quality sorely lacking in the hospitality industry at this moment in time, where guests are often snubbed by staff with attitudes, as if we are there for them instead of them being there to provide
an experience that enhances our trip instead of making our stay barely tolerable.

It is a small hotel, and which lends to the B&B feel of the place.

Their "concierge", Daniel ( I hope I got his name right), was more helpful than any concierge at a Ritz Carlton.
In short, everyone is treated like a VIP here, no-one gets "snobbed".

For me, the only downside was the pool temp. I have spinal cord injury that makes it impossible to regulate cold and their pool water was a bit chilly upon entry, unlike a lot of other Florida pools that are kept at warmer temps. Jonathan, at poolside, attempted to troubleshoot the issue, but their generator is "inherited" from previous management and it was not correctable.So I could not
access the pool and had to leave 2 days shy of my intended 4 night stay because of that. I was so sad to depart, but my purpose on this trip was to spend a lot of time in the water and was compelled to transfer to a hotel that had 2 warmer pools.Incredibly, it was the first time I ever felt " homesick" for a hotel, after I left and ran into all the obnoxiousness of pretentious hotel atmosphere and sub-par service that is endemic to another major chain that overcharges for everything & hypothetically offers to attend to your needs whatever, whenever....

Here's my point : Surfcomber really walks-the-walk, and doesn't just talk-the-talk when it comes to service, at half the price. It's an unpretentiously elegant small hotel. What could be better in the unrelentingly "hip" & crowded South Beach scene than to find a haven like Surfcomber?

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank smithandzip
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
smithandzip
Wow, thank you for the amazing posting.
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
We will look into remedying the pool temp opportunity prior to your return to South Beach.
Sean McKeen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We are in the middle of our stay here and are loving it! Like everyone is saying - the location could not be more perfect. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. The vibe is 100% SoBe, but it's not pretentious. Everyone is a VIP here. Also, how much do I love that the general manager is responding to every comment here? We are loving our stay and I can't wait to report back at the end of it. Off to the pool!

Room Tip: Our room has no view, but that's OK. Next time I would ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
mhbiglan
Thank you for the posting.
It’s true all of our guests are VIP's.
Have fun at the pool.
Feel free to ask for me if you have time. I would love to meet you.
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Let me start off by stating that I had high expectations for the hotel stay in Miami as this trip was geared to accommodate myself and six other guest. The purpose of the trip was that of my bachelor party so there were a variety of people attending; all with different expectations from the trip.

I will go through point by point as I am keen on sharing my experience and giving the Surfcomber and its staff all the credit they deserve.

Initially in booking I ended up in discussions with Sean who was more than friendly and willing to help in anyway he could. This included things like early check in, late departure and additional cots for rooms that could include them so long as certain codes were not violated. Despite my interest in booking with him directly one of my groomsmen booked through Expedia. Despite booking through Expedia Sean maintained his great attitude and continued to be a pleasure to work with.

So we arrive at the airport and take a shuttle over to the hotel... the shuttle overcharged us (no affiliation with the hotel) by charging 80 bucks for us to get there... versus the trip back to the airport that cost about 40 bucks... none-the-less we got there at around 6:30pm.

Walking into the hotel we were excited to be in Miami (SoBe) and quickly had people not only opening the door for us but helping the taxi/driver take our bags out of the vehicle and load them onto the bellhops little cart. We walked in to a marvelous greeting from Brent (I believe that was his name) who then checked us in with no troubles offered us water at the front which was flavored with either lemons, cucumbers or strawberries. This was a nice refreshing benefit throughout our trip as it was around 90 each day and bottled water gets unnecessarily expensive. Anyway we got to our rooms and despite there being a problem with one they found us a better room and made sure that we were happy with it. They offered us additional roll away beds if we wanted as well.

Throughout the trip the front desk was super friendly, the concierge was super helpful in booking reservations for us at restaurants as well as making recommendations. Each time we needed a taxi/transportation they would offer to hail a taxi or call the car service for us. The pool is brilliant and the setup around the pool is great. This is definitely the kind of place to have a pool party. The people at the towel areas were always friendly and didnt require that we check out the towels by giving a room card or anything. The towel boy/girls always had lotion as well so that you could use it for free and make sure you didnt get burnt. There are nice looking cabana areas that were always in abundance and despite not sitting in them..we really imagined that if a party was going on these would be fantastic. On to the beach, which is only about 100 yards away from the pool, we found the walk to be easy as cake, despite nursing hang overs, and the beach to be beautiful. I have been to mexico, the Caribbean and all parts of Europe and this water (despite being to Florida before) seemed clearer than I'd ever seen it. The beach is gorgeous as a whole and reaffirmed my belief that Miami is a great place for anyone to go that doesnt want to leave the states.

I can go on and on and on about how great the staff and hotel itself were.. but that would be annoying to some readers. If I had to be as harsh as I possibly could on this hotel I would say that the air conditioner in the room didnt go down below 65... which i understand of course. We were always cool in the room despite this so my tendency to freeze myself out was not really a concern. The beds were super nice and comfortable.. the rooms were nice. Various people posting complained about the size of the rooms.. I can say say that the group of us.. and our various rooms were all nice. Rooms do not have any refrigerators and the elevator is slow. Other than that the rooms arent huge.. but easily fit 3 people... this is Miami and I can't imagine the room size being a major component of the trip.

One thing to point out is that this was my bachelor party and despite looking to drink and have a good time we are not obnoxious people. No one else at the hotel was obnoxious and no obnoxious behavior was going on. Some may complain that the music next door is loud and that it plays all hours of the night... this is accurate.. but there is nothing the hotel can do about it. They do a good job taking care of their guests and if their guests are concerned that bars on the street stay open until 2:00 −4:00am..they should ask for a room closer to the pool.

Now I know what you are thinking, this guy was on a bachelor party and must not have great taste. Let me tell you without tooting my own horn that I am well traveled and have stood at hundreds of hotels due to the nature of my work. This hotel is a fantastic choice for anyone looking to get to a hotel that is stress-free, courteous to its guests and accommodating.

I would stay here again in a heart beat and so would each of my guests.

From the moment we got there we truly loved the staff. They offered free wine and sangria at 5:00 until 6:00 which was nice. They called us the day before we were scheduled to leave an left this nice nice message offering to do anything they could to help us out... I really coudlnt expect anything else from this hotel. I manage about 700 people in the business I run, many of which are in customer service, and I would have hired any of these people for my most important roles. If I had a business in New York I would be looking to poach these employees from Sean and make them my own...

I dont normally write reviews like this.... however.. Sean and his team deserve it. I personally thank everyone of you that made our stay so enjoyable and would suggest that anyone visiting Miami take a serious look at the Surfcomber... not only for their rates but exceptional service and more than nice hotel.

Thanks for making my Bachelor Party, a time I will remember for the rest of my life, a memorable trip that did not require any attention to be payed to our accommodations.

Kindest regards,
Tony

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room... stay on the pool/beach side. Not sure if hotel has fridges in any roo...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank LoveNYCtravel4Real
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Tony-
Thank you for choosing us for such a fun trip and thank you for all your kind words.
Next time bring wifey.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Granted, I like Kimpton Hotels but the Surfcomber is really a cool place. It has an excellent South Beach location and a neat ambiance. I have stayed there three times and enjoyed each stay. Typical (and appreciated) amenities such as coffee in the morning, wine hour in the evening, etc!

The staff is excellent. Very friendly.

Room Tip: If you want a very nice, good value hotel with a "neat feel" on South Beach - this is it...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
willicr -
Super excited that you have been with us three times to stay.
Please reach out the next time you are in town.
Would love to make you acquaintance.
Reviewed 3 June 2012

The staff is friendly and accommodating. Winnie at the front desk was so nice and exhibited the great service that is often associated with the Kimpton brand.

However, I will never stay here again. The hotel has an abandoned apartment complex vibe. The hotel is literally 3 or 4 stories tall and just looks circa 1984. Please, whatever you do, don't get a room on the first floor. The restaurant is at the end of the hall on the first floor and you will smell it in your room the entire stay. On second thought, whatever you do, just don't stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor. The restaurant is at the end of the hall on the first floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank KMichelleM
KMichelleM -
Thank you for mentioning Winnie & the friendly staff.
We will look into the aroma's wafting down to the guest rooms from the restaurant.
Reviewed 2 June 2012

From the moment we arrived until the taxi for the airport the staff at the Surfcomber could not do enough for us. The hotel is urban and cool in a non pretentious way they offer free wine every evening and have either a DJ or percussionist as background. The hotel is on Collins Ave which is walking distance to most everything. Chad the barman and expert mixologist will mix you up any cocktail you choose or even create you one if you are feeling brave! We travel to Miami every year and will certainly be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2012
Rodboy212 -
Wow, thank you for the outstanding posting.
We look forward to your return.
aliso viejo, california
Reviewed 2 June 2012

My sister and I stayed at the Surfcomber from May 20th-22nd. The hotel is nice and impressive and is centrally located to all of the restaurants and shopping. I got a good deal through Priceline, however, the hotel charged me an extra $25 + tax per night for a double bed room. Check in/out was quick and efficient; the staff was nice and friendly. The pool area was clean and they offered happy hour from 5pm - 6pm. You can access the boardwalk outside the pool area. As other reviewers have mentioned, the room/bathroom were quite small. The hotel charges $34/night + tax for parking, however, there is a public parking lot about 1 1/2 blks. away that charges $16 for a 24 hour period. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank 1californiagirl
1californiagirl -
Thank you for mentioning the great location of our property.
Being a historic property the size of the guest room quarters and lavatory is consistent with the other properties in the area built during the same period.
Valet parking is consistent in the area as well all properties lack parking; another sign of the past.
We look forward to your return.