“COOL HOTEL”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hertfordshire
“COOL HOTEL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

Another fantastic Hotel from Kimpton. Everyone helpful and friendly the moment we arrived. Very good postion right by the beach. The bedroom and bathroom were a bit small for three people but we only staying a couple of nights. The reception area is very cool place to spend some time.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Graphicman
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Graphicman
Thank you for the posting.
We are so happy you found the employees helpful and friendly.
sm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

My husband and I stayed for two nights at the Surfcomber in South Beach. We were pleasantly surprised by the hotel. The staff at the front desk was very helpful with check in and also with directions. Our room was small as expected from other reviews and just knowing it was an older hotel in a bigger city. However, it was very nicely decorated, clean, and the bathroom was very modern. Our view was of the building next door but not a big deal since we spent very little time in our room. The lobby is really cool with funky, modern decor. The wine hour each night was really nice, we enjoyed ours one night on the comfy sofas out in front of the hotel during a rain shower. The courtyard area that you walk through to the pool and beach is so beautifully landscaped, we were really impressed. The pool area is very clean and well landscaped. The beach is very close, out the back of the pool. We rented chairs and an umbrella, $15 each for the chairs, $12 for the umbrella. Good idea to reserve these the night before or get there early if you want front row on the beach. There are towels at the pool to take to the beach. There is a paved beach walk that runs along the back of the hotel all the way down through Lummus Park, a great place for a walk or run in the mornings. The hotel is walking distance to the Lincoln Rd mall area with shopping and restaurants. We did not rent a car and were happy we didn't, the price and hassle of parking made the few cabs we took well worth it. Every memeber of the staff, from management to the front desk, the maids and bellman were very friendly and helpful, far beyond anything we have experienced at a hotel before, you truly feel like a guest. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and wouldn't stay anywhere else if we return to South Beach.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aMominCary
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
aMominCary
Thank you for the detailed posting.
Thank you most of all for saying you wouldn't stay anywhere else.
That’s super important to us.
Sean McKeen
Crystal Lake, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Prior to arriving in Miami. I contacted the concierge to ask about restaurant recommendations. Mr. Andrew Linton was extremely helpful and contacted Nobu for a reservation. They needed a credit card number and we were already on the plane, so he gave them his personal credit card number. When we arrived, we were excited by the gift of complimentary champagne and chocolates! After arriving home, I realized my camera was missing. I called the hotel and got Mr. Linton once again. He not only checked the room, but then searched the laundry room and found my camera. It was a great phone call. It was truly service above and beyond anything I ever would have expected.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Stacy S
Stacy S
Wow, thank you for the great posting.
We are so happy that we exceeded your expectations.
Firenze
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Surfcomber. Perfect location in Lincoln Rd. just a few steps away from the crowd of Ocean Dr.
The Hotel hall is really nice as the standard double bedroom. The bathroom was a bit too small though.
The swimming pool area on the back is great! just in front of the beach.. with free towels, bar service, music, and also free sun cream.
We reccomend it

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Giudy98
Thank you so much for the recommendation and your posting.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

I read all the reviews before we booked. Now that we are back, a few comments:

We never had a problem with the daily maid service. We would walk down the street for breakfast and by the time we came back, our room would be cleaned. The pool was always crowded, but not overly crowded. The beach access was amazing! Just walk out the back of the grounds and you are there. The Surfcomber has an outside shower to rinse right before the pool. The 5-6pm wine hour was a plus. Great way to gather around the pool after spending the day at the beach.

The location is amazing! We have been coming to Miami for many years and previously staying at the Loews because of the close proximity to Lincoln and Espanola Way. There is also a Walgreens just don the street from the Surfcomber, which was great for last minute items, adult beverages, and snacks. We will definitely be back!

We did travel as a family, and there were other families there but not overcome with children like the Loews. Our son was the only child at the pool many times and it was nice not having a ton of kids on the property. Lucia did make my son feel welcome upon arrival and he also received cookies courteousity of Michelle! Thanks for making him feel special!!

The room did not feel small to us...we had the double, double. No ocean view but we did not spend much time in the room. No car or taxi needed, except to get to/from the airport, which was a $33 taxi ride, each way.

We did not have an opportunity to eat at the restaurant as we had read about so many other great restaurants within walking distance that were amazing. I would strongly recommend the Surfcomber as it fits into the budget nicely, great service, nice wine hour and fantastic location!

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor, near the rear/pool. The beds were really comfortable. We brought a soft...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank TTJFamily
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
TTJFamily
We are so happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.
We are developing a family friendly activity calendar for July & August.
Ultimately, we are developing fun for our families to create memorable experiences together.
We hope to see you again soon.
amherst,ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

For women traveling solo, this Kimpton hotel sets the Gold Standard.
When I arrived, Brian the bellman took my suitcase and said " Welcome home."
What an incredibly warm B&B type of greeting after a long day of journeying!
To a fault, each and every staff person at this property was gregarious and accomodating.
As an allergic/asthmatic with chemical sensitivities, it can be tough to find a hotel that
does not compel me to be using my inhaler every day just to fend off pervasive Febreze or
some other noxious perfumy scent that is mistaken for "fresh" air.My linens and towels were neutralized before my arrival; I was assured that the NoSmoking rule was maintained with vigilance;
and the hotel itself was refreshingly free of chemical odors of any kind. In Florida particularly, smoking appears to be prevalent, but here I did not have to inhale secondhand smoke anywhere on the grounds, as opposed to many other properties. ( For instance, at the Eden Roc,where I had been the day before, all the smokers are provided a smoking " lounge" directly outside all three exits to the pool and ocean area, such that I was forced to "run the gauntlet" each time I went outside. And at Harbor Beach Marriott in Ft Lauderdale, all the smokers are allowed to smoke directly in front of both entrances to the lobby... crazy stuff around smoking in Florida hotels and very retro....in a bad way.)

Whomever wrote that the hotel is like an '80's apt complex as no aesthetic sensibility whatsoever..............their lobby is possibly the most artistically designed & furnished
( think: art deco meets post-modern minimalist) I've seen yet in SOBE or Ft Lauderdale.
The Social Club bar had a low-key inviting vibe and the bartender ( I believe her name was Jillian) was congenial and skillful. My second night, she was training a woman and, instead of it becoming a trying customer ordeal, they included me in the process and it was actually fun.
Their Happy Hour menu is FABULOUS . Check this out : for a grand total of $16.00 , I had a 3 course dinner : ribs, mahi-mahi taco, and a surprising tasty cod-and-Kimchee cabbage dish.

In fact , you can eat well within a budget at Lantao, which charges uninflated prices for their Asian fusion fare. If you like spicey, it doesn't get more delectable than their offerings.
The waiter was attentive and like everyone else,related to me as if he were an an old dear friend or school chum, welcoming me at each meal.

The word " hospitality" was invented to describe this staff, and God knows, from reading Trip Advisor reviews, this is a quality sorely lacking in the hospitality industry at this moment in time, where guests are often snubbed by staff with attitudes, as if we are there for them instead of them being there to provide
an experience that enhances our trip instead of making our stay barely tolerable.

It is a small hotel, and which lends to the B&B feel of the place.

Their "concierge", Daniel ( I hope I got his name right), was more helpful than any concierge at a Ritz Carlton.
In short, everyone is treated like a VIP here, no-one gets "snobbed".

For me, the only downside was the pool temp. I have spinal cord injury that makes it impossible to regulate cold and their pool water was a bit chilly upon entry, unlike a lot of other Florida pools that are kept at warmer temps. Jonathan, at poolside, attempted to troubleshoot the issue, but their generator is "inherited" from previous management and it was not correctable.So I could not
access the pool and had to leave 2 days shy of my intended 4 night stay because of that. I was so sad to depart, but my purpose on this trip was to spend a lot of time in the water and was compelled to transfer to a hotel that had 2 warmer pools.Incredibly, it was the first time I ever felt " homesick" for a hotel, after I left and ran into all the obnoxiousness of pretentious hotel atmosphere and sub-par service that is endemic to another major chain that overcharges for everything & hypothetically offers to attend to your needs whatever, whenever....

Here's my point : Surfcomber really walks-the-walk, and doesn't just talk-the-talk when it comes to service, at half the price. It's an unpretentiously elegant small hotel. What could be better in the unrelentingly "hip" & crowded South Beach scene than to find a haven like Surfcomber?

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank smithandzip
smithandzip
Wow, thank you for the amazing posting.
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
We will look into remedying the pool temp opportunity prior to your return to South Beach.
Sean McKeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

We are in the middle of our stay here and are loving it! Like everyone is saying - the location could not be more perfect. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. The vibe is 100% SoBe, but it's not pretentious. Everyone is a VIP here. Also, how much do I love that the general manager is responding to every comment here? We are loving our stay and I can't wait to report back at the end of it. Off to the pool!

Room Tip: Our room has no view, but that's OK. Next time I would ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
mhbiglan
Thank you for the posting.
It’s true all of our guests are VIP's.
Have fun at the pool.
Feel free to ask for me if you have time. I would love to meet you.