“Wonderful get away for family vacation! Perfect spot.”

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #42 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Wonderful get away for family vacation! Perfect spot.”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My family and I loved our visit at Surfcomber. Beautiful, quirky whimsical Kimpton decor. I searched for days on the Internet to find the perfect spot to take our daughter and 2 grandkids (12 and 17) who were visiting from France as well as our other 2 year old grand-daughter. We found it! Thanks to Southbeach Luxury Hotels and Leanne for her advice. For once, I didn't get to my hotel destinantion and then walk past other hotels each day wishing I'd stayed there instead. Of course we did have a beautiful suite with wonderful beds. That is so important.
We reserved two regular rooms(which are small) and when we got there we decided to change ours in for a suite which turned out to be a wonderful idea. That gave us a really large family room with a dining table which is great when you are traveling with a 2 year old who saves all of her tantrums for restaurants. All of the staff were friendly and attentive, remembering all of our comments and requests (which is rare). We especially liked Brent- he was really great and helpful.
The location is perfect and met my most important requirements: nice pool and right off of the beach. I loved the pool. There were lots of people but it wasn't hard to find a lounge chair. The happy hour was fun- I didn't even know I liked Sangria. Lots of Europeans which we enjoyed. The beach was just right as well. Nice white sandy beach with beautiful blue water. Still like the pool better, though.
Lots of restaurants are within walking distance. Our favorite was YUCA- incredible mojitos. And it was great to see Paul's, the French bakery for croissants every morning.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank geospatialgirl
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
geospatialgirl -
It’s so true. Children love to lose it in restaurants; it’s when we are most vulnerable.
Anyway, we are so happy that we were able to accommodate your family and create a special stay. We hope to see you again soon.
sm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rockville, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 16 August 2012

The hotel was welcoming and clean and the front desk staff were helpful. The deco is decidely Art Deco - maybe even vintage - but had a nice feel. Even though my room was a king (very comfortable) it was rather small with pretty much just enough room to walk around.

Though I didn't make use of it, the hotel does offer a nice number of perks such as beach access, a nice pool area, and free wine tasting. The first night there they had live music in the lobby (I was on the first floor) which was a little irritating, but they stopped at a reasonable hour (10pm).

One thing I didn't like was the neighborhood. Don't let the fact that this is on South Beach fool you; there were a fair number of homeless in the surrounding area and you are not exactly near the high-end sections. Several of my female co-workers staying at the same hotel would only walk back from the convention in groups or with male co-workers as escorts.

Room Tip: I'd suggest asking to not be on the first floor - the view from my window was the garbage alley.
Matthew V -
Thank you for the posting.
We are so happy that you enjoyed the architecture.
Let’s be honest, at a certain time of the evening you need to use your street smarts in any city.
Ultimately, our property is safe and secure and in the general vicinity you should feel safe. The streets are well lit and there are almost always people around.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 August 2012

A big shot out to Amanda and Travis who took care of us at the pool! They topped off our vacation with excellent customer service and fun times during happy hour at the pool. I hope you guys remember us when we come back!! - I wish I could post the videos of us...Thanks again for the VIP service.

We love this hotel...definitely a 5-star!! :)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Sheilla H-
Thank you for the fantastic posting.
Travis & Amanda are awesome, I completely agree.
We will remember you, don't worry about that.
See you again soon.
Akron, OH
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently for a business conference. It was the overflow hotel as the Loew's was booked. It was sufficient, clean, comfortable. I had a corner room facing the the main street which I didn't mind. You could see the nightlife and see views of the restaurants and people walking by. One of my colleagues had a room facing a wall. I would have hated that. The other had a room with a view of the terrace leading to the pool. Not bad.

The room was clean, well decorated. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was small but trendy with glass shower and metallic and glass sink.

I didn't swim but saw the pool. It looked very nice.

I think the reasons I give it a four is because they charge for internet service which annoys me especially when the city offers free wi-fi. Secondly, I saw the accomodations and the pool area at the Loew's when I walked over for the conference. I was stunned at how nice it was. The surfcomber was fine and clean, but I would have rather stayed at the Loew's.

Room Tip: Be specific as to what you want to see from your window.
chellene -
Thank you for the posting.
We are clearly a different experience from the Loews. We are small and develop personalized experiences.
We do offer complimentary internet for all our loyalty guests, which is complimentary to sign up for. We hope to see you again.
Chicago
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Surfcomber four days in February, 2012. Our room was freshly decorated with a nice bathroom. Staff was young and very friendly and accommodating. We were warmly greeted every time we entered the hotel. The pool area is very nice and relaxing. Every night at 5 PM, they host a wine happy hour in the super modern lobby. The adjoining bar is cozy and the bartender was very pleasant. Location is great for beach, Lincoln Road shopping and cheap city bus to the airport. Free Internet was certainly appreciated. My only criticism is that the hall-ways are painted black and it is so dark that it is difficult to find your room.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Keniston -
We are so happy that you had a great experience with us in February.
We have further developed our guest experience since then.
We hope to see you again soon.
Lyndhurst, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Had a blast, Ryan took great care of me and my son during our 1+ week stay. The whole staff was great, but Ryan made sure that my son and I were having an awesome time every time he was around.

I would recommend the surf-comber to anyone and will definitely be staying here every time I am in south beach for work or leisure.

+1 for my man Ryan!

Jr from NY

Room Tip: I stayed in 337 ocean front
Jrtuned -
Thank you for the great posting.
We are so happy that you and your son enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for recognizing Ryan for exceeding expectations.
See you again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We had an amazing time in Miami and so much of it was due to our wonderful experience at Surfcomber. The rooms were contemporary and fun, the common areas were really quirky (we especially liked the roving sheep statue) and the pool and beach areas were both beautiful. What made the stay even better was the staff. Chris at the front desk was great when we checked in, super friendly and helpful. Louie and Billy in the restaurant were superstars and gave us excellent suggestions of things to do and places to go while we were in town. It was really all about feeling like we were staying with friends and we will definitely be recommending the Surfcomber to everyone who is headed to South Beach!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
ahjay -
That’s an awesome posting.
We love hearing that you felt as if you were staying with friends.
Because you are our friends, we can't wait for you to return.