“Great hotel, great staff!”

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #37 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Great hotel, great staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

I had a great stay at the Surfcomber! Perfect location, stylish without being pretentious, small-ish so it never felt crowded, free happy hour wine every night and the world's friendliest staff. Chris, Clayton and Dorgis were among the many gorgeous staff members who went out of their way to make me feel welcome and comfortable. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Sean F, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
getbaked,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I will be sure to give Clayton, Chris and Dorgis a high 5 for making your stay one to remember! (And the rest of the gorgeous staff) Thanks again!

Sean FlaniganGeneral Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Myself and two friends stayed here for a week break. This is an excellent hotel. While the room was a bit on the small side, the rest of the hotel made up for it. The pool area is fantastic with refreshing flavored water available as well as towels and suncream. There are bikes available to rent and the hotel's location right on the beach makes for a brilliant holiday. What really stands out about this hotel is the staff. They couldn't be more helpful. I don't think I've stayed somewhere with nicer staff. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
niamhsl,

Thank you for your review! "I don't think I've stayed somewhere with nicer staff", that is an awesome comment and I couldn't agree more. We have a great team and I am so lucky to work with them each and every day. Thanks for noticing!

Cheers,
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

My parents, 19 year old daughter, and I stayed at the Surfcomber from December 26-30, 2013 - and it was a perfect visit, we really loved being there!

Everything about the hotel makes you relaxed, comfortable, and happy to be there.

The location is great, we walked everywhere.

The staff, without fail, is incredibly friendly, pleasant, and helpful. They always greet you, and with a smile, and when you return to the hotel, and they open the doors for you, they either say, "Welcome back!" or "Welcome home!".

As my Mom commented, the staff looks genuinely happy to be working there.

The lobby is warm and inviting, an eclectic mix of interesting decor that really works, not the typical sterile same-old hotel furnishings. There are blocks for kids to play with, and one evening there was an artist doing caricatures of the kids. And the lobby smells great!

The outdoor hallway to the pool is really nicely landscaped, with colourful cows, free bikes, and comfy light blue rocking chairs.

The pool is another great area with chairs all around, a sandy beach area with grass in back, all of which lead to the boardwalk and to the beach.

Having such easy and close access to the beach also contributed to our wonderful visit. Every morning I would wake up early, get coffee, and walk through the outside hallway to the boardwalk and beach with my parents.

There is always fruit and citrus-flavoured water available, complimentary coffee, tea, and ice coffee in the morning, and complimentary wine from 5:00-6:00.

The music played throughout the day and evening in the lobby, outside hallway, and pool is really good mixture, and not too loud, I even asked for the playlist because I enjoyed it so much.

The rooms are not huge, but my daughter and I moved very comfortably around two double beds. The rooms too are really nicely furnished, and the beds are incredibly comfortable.

Other guests are respectful, there was no noise in the hallways, and no late night disruption to our sleep.

The hotel is spotless and clean everywhere.

The Social Club restaurant serves really good tapas, the first meal that we had, and the second meal that we had was very tasty as well.

The only comment that I have is that there are no recycling bins which we all would have appreciated.

Aside from that point, the Surfcomber is perfect, we really loved staying there, were sad to leave, and will definitely stay there again next time that we're in Miami.

Green Features: There is no recycling at the hotel, which is the only negative comment that I have to offer.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Michele K
Michele K,

First of all, I am happy to know that we were able to take care of you during the holidays and hope the 2013 holiday was one to remember. I want to thank you for taking the time to detail out your stay with us, I can't wait to share your review with the team!

Happy New Year!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

The Surfcomber is a very good hotel in an excellent location in South Beach. Everything is in walking distance to the hotel which is great. Our room (a courtyard king room) was very nice and quiet, but a little on the small side. All the expected amenities were there. Service was excellent, from the chirpy front desk staff to the guys in the bar who even kept the bar open for us when we arrived at midnight after a very long trip from Tokyo and felt like a wine.

The pool was very nice, as was having access to the beach, and the staff at the pool serving drinks were very good.

All in all, a great choice for south beach with more a boutique hotel feel than some of the other options (ie Loews).

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jirrupin
jirrupin,

Thanks for making the trip to visit us all the way from Australia, we're so excited you had a good time. Please come and visit us again soon in 2014.

Cheers,
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night at the Surfcomber. Check in was very quick. We did not even have time to finish our free champagne.

We caught the bus from Miami airport to South Beach, the stop is across the road.

The hotel is perfectly located on South Beach within walking distance to bars and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank MrPeters
Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

stayed for a whole week with my family ( 2 small kids) during the 2013 holiday season.
after stays at the Raleigh, Four Seasons, the Setai, Mandarin Oriental,...picked the Surfcomber because of a good experience with Kimpton in San Francisco.

The hotel is well located, and is well kept. Also, it's family friendly. Other pluses are the heated swimming pool and the free wine hour. Staff in general is friendly -especially the people at the pool helping you with loungers, towels etc are great.

I booked the largest room (a suite with a balcony), the room was large, the bathroom was small (and no open window). Two main negatives of our room: 1. no sound isolation so you can forget a good nights rest and 2. the sofa bed for our kids was below standard quality. Unfortunately, this means that the value for money was not ok.
pluses of the room are the balcony large enough to seat the 4 of us, and a fridge.

but I missed the Kimpton touch: service at the pool (when you want to order drinks or food), at Social Club (for breakfast and lunch) and valet (expensive and waiting times 2 times of > 45 minutes) are not on par.

and...on the day of our departure (January 1), I called for a late check-out. The normal check-out time is 11 am, but the lady on the phone could do an effort and extend it to 12 am...my main point not being that I spent 7 nights in their premium room but that during new years' eve, the pool party was so loud so we all only could fall asleep by 3.30 am... so, this is a big fail in customer service and far away from the Kimpton touch...

summary: I might stay again, in a standard room, at a promotional rate, and adapt my expectations, but Surfcomber changed my perception of the Kimpton hotels in a negative way.

by the way, Brian is a great bellman and has interesting tips for restaurants etc.

late check out
vs 3 am in slaap
en very late 8 pm arrival

service bf, pool, valet

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ErwinFromBelgium
ErwinFromBelgium,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am sorry to see we missed the mark and weren't able to provide you with some wonderful memories. If you have anything further that you'd like to discuss, please reach out to me at sean.flanigan@surfcomber.com

Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

The Surfcomber is a nicely designed and decorated hotel with friendly staff. There are only a few balcony rooms at extra cost. They are not high enough to see the beach but they are low enough to catch all the noise from the pool which is right below. The Hotel is attempting to attract a rave crowd in the evenings with loud dance music booming into your balcony room. Keeping the door closed was little help. The decibels were lowered each night at midnight but still loud enough to keep you awake. If you dig raves and want a good place to watch, the balcony is for you. Unfortunately for you, the hotel was only drawing in 10 to 20 people per night for their big raves, certainly not worthy of so much bass booming through my $600 a night room. Next trip to South Beach I hope to find a hotel with balcony to enjoy the sights and sounds of the beach instead.

Room Tip: Interior room if you desire quiet, Balcony if you want rave noise