“his hotel is very noisy and has a terrible manager taking care of business”

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #45 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights in the beginning of this year. We choose a kingsize suite ($400 a night) which in the end was a small hotelroom according to US standards. It was not a plesant stay. In the end it was a terrible stay, because some uneducated hotel manager by the name of David did not take the effort to make us feel at home as valued guests. Basicaly he does not care for his customers....

After the first night we found out that we ended up in a very nosiy room, even after asking the reception for a quit room at checkin. We ended up in room 344 right beside the elevator. Since the area of Miami Beach is a party area, there was a lot of noise and screaming from other guests from the hotel beside during the whole night. Also, beside our window was a big chiller unit installed which gave 24/7 a disturbing noise. The matrass in room 344 is very uncomfortable, this should be there already forever and needs to be replaced urgently!

After the first night we talked with the front desk and asked for a better room, in the end we decided to buy an upgrade to a "seaview" room at an extra price of $75 on top of the already high Miami beach prices. The room would only be available the next day, so we stayed one more night in the noisy room. In the middle of the night I became seriously sick and spend half night on the toilet and fainted several times. For my pregnant wife it was also a very rough night as well. Since we had agreed to change rooms we waited on the room for the change, sick in bed.

We had to wait until 14:00 (checkout was at 11:00) and after several phonecalls to the reception for the change. It took Surfcomber 3 hours to take care of a sick customer ! The manager was so rude and told us that we should be happy that we could wait in the room as this was against the hotel policy. I have never in my life felt so unwelcome in a hotel.

The communication is a total failure, the paid upgrade was not registered and the promised room 341 not available. In the end we received another room, with big palm trees in front of the window, completely taking out the seaview.

Overall I can say that most of the staff is not trained and very inexperienced. The restaurant crew seems to be all new hires (doing their best). This hotel I would never qualify as a 4 star hotel, it is overpriced and should not have the current ranking on trip advisor. For me it is a 2-3 star hotel ! And the manager David is not capable of running a hotel. Customers should always come in firstplace, that's why they pay top-dollar. This should be basic rule number 1

Room Tip: Third floor overall is very noisy because of chillers on the roof and also very cold on the hallway
6  Thank DutchyInBrazil
Sean F, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

DutchyInBrazil,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I apologize that you were not happy with your stay. Please reach out to me if you would like to discuss further.

Regards,
sean.flanigan@surfcomber.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,527)

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My husband and I are very worldly travelers who seek, a meticulous, modern, beautiful hotel experience. Being as particular as we are, research is endless. For our recent visit to Southbeach, The Surfcomber hotel repeatedly appeared as ranked #1. Our experience, proved to be just that!!! The moment we entered the front doors, our experience was amazing. The staff was genuine, kind, helpful and knowledgable, from David and Jordanne the managers, to Chris the day life manager, we were welcomed to a fabulous corner room, enjoyed morning coffee poolside, wine at dusk on the beach, memorable dining recommendations where the food was delicious and the un touristy! It was a wonderful #1 experience

Room Tip: Corner rooms are filled with light

judee219,

The experience you detailed out has me smiling from ear to ear. It's what we really strive for 100% of the time and I am so happy to hear you found it. Thank you for mentioning some of the fabulous managers I am lucky to have part of my team. I hope you and your husband visit us again soon.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I had previously stayed at a Kimpton hotel in Los Angeles, and was very pleased with the service and rooms in general. So when I was looking for a place to stay for a long weekend in South Beach and found out Kimpton had a property there at a competitive rate I did not think twice to book a room.

From arrival to departure everyone was very friendly and helpful. Special kudos to the staff at the beach, they work really hard setting up chairs and umbrellas for the guests and making the beach experience a great one. The waitstaff that works the beach is very friendly as well.

Rooms are well appointed and since this is an old hotel, it is expected that some of them have small bathrooms, but it is a common occurrence at SoBe Art Deco type properties, so no problem for me.

I highly recommend this hotel (and all Kimpton properties for that matter).

Room Tip: Be aware that most hotels in this area (art deco SoBe) with old style construction have smaller bath...
1  Thank E B

EB,

As you look out your window to all the snow, don't you wish you were back? We're doing great deals online, look for the fly south for the winter promotion! Come visit us soon!

Cheers,

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Well, I LOVE Kimpton hotels and try to stay in them whenever I travel. And the Surfcomber did not disappoint! My room was big, I do wish I had upgraded to a balcony, however, it was hard to tell where those rooms were. The pool area was really great - I relaxed there everyday from 12 - 5. The pool guys and wait staff were fun and friendly. On Friday they passed out frozen icies and virgin pinacolas and brought water around. I did not make it to the beach but I heard the same kind of service was out there too. Chris the pool guy made sure I the umbrella covered me at all times (I didn't want to get sunburned). Travis the room service guy was super friendly even when I saw him at the pool and in the hallways. I got a pool massage and being an Kimpton In-Touch member I got $30 bucks off the massage - totally worth it! Also, being a member gets you free Wi-Fi. I was doing a lot of writing at the pool so that was great. Love the free wine hour and such. I just love Kimpton Hotels vibe - swanky but not snobby. Love that! I"ll be back for sure!!! The location is fantastic as well.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Steph2point0

lib101,

A massage, frozen drinks, pool side....what more could you ask for? Thanks for mentioning Chris and Travis, some of our rock star employees!!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed here in February for only one night so we could catch an early morning flight from Miami after a week in the Florida Keys. The service was uniformly wonderful. From check in to check out, everyone we met, from the valet and bellhop to the front desk was friendly and helpful. I'm visibly pregnant so at check in they sweetly offered some sparkling apple cider in lieu of the usual glass of champagne, which was a nice touch. As intouch members, we also received a $10 credit to "raid the mini bar" which was also nice. The pool scene was definitely lively (note that depending on where you are in the hotel, you may hear music from the pool in your room - we had a courtyard room and could hear music during the day). The beach is accessible through a gate next to the pool and was a bit crowded (to be expected) but lovely. The location is convenient, right on Collins and close to shops and restaurants, etc. There's a free wine tasting every evening, and a nice complementary coffee bar in the mornings set up in the lobby (variety of iced and hot coffees). The hotel is in an older art deco building so the rooms and bathroom may be a little smaller than you may be used to. However, the bed was heavenly - super comfortable! The only small glitch which did not appear to be the hotel's fault, is that it took over 30 minutes to get our car (which had been valet-parked the evening before) after calling ahead to make sure it was ready so we could get to the airport on time (valet is about $37, FYI). There was some issue at the garage where the cars are parked, so the valet actually drove over there himself to fetch the car and bring it back (they said that usually an attendant at the garage brings the car over once called). We made it to the airport on time and everyone was very apologetic, which we appreciated.

starhawk,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Happy to hear you are part of our loyalty program Kimpton InTouch and that our valet was able to take care of you and make sure you got to the airport in time.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Vinnie was friendly, kind and accommodating during our visit to the Surfcomber area of the beach in January. Alice and I highly recommend him, even though we did not stay at this hotel. We rented beach lounge chairs and an umbrella for several days. Thank you, Vinnie! We hope to see you again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

800Sandra,

Yesterday in our morning meeting we talked about your review and had Vinny smiling from ear to ear. Pretty big accomplishment to have his name as the title of your review. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We made a last-minute decision to spend a week in Miami and we sure are happy that we did. It was a fantastic week and far exceeded our expectations - in large part because of the amazing staff at the Surfcomber. Upon arrival, Tony met us at our car and helped us inside. The staff were expecting us, and we actually felt as though we were guests in someone's home - a theme that continued throughout the week. Jordanne got us checked in, and Tony brought us each a glass of champagne (much appreciated after the 10 hour drive from Atlanta).

Once we put our things down, we asked Tony for recommendations for pizza and he suggested a place a few blocks away that was not-so touristy. It proved to be just as wonderful as he said, so much so that we actually went twice during our stay! We also had dinner at the Social Club early in the week - the staff there are awesome - Carla, Chad, Ashley, Car, Leslie, Danny, David, Brian!

Throughout the week, we spent at least a part of the day out by the pool, where we were well-taken care of by Chris B., Marco, Smith, Jenna, and Rachel, and visited daily with Chris M., the director of daytime activities. They offer food and beverages by the pool which was great, in addition to little treats like Italian Ices, ice cold water, and sunscreens. My only suggestion might be to start serving lunch a little earlier - they don't begin until noon, and I personally like to eat a little earlier, but that's just me. And, the very best lunch item is the Cuban sandwich from the Social Club (the restaurant in the hotel), but sadly no pool service. However, we recommended (strongly) the sandwich to another couple out by the pool, and they went inside, placed their order, and a server from the Social Club brought it out in a to-go bag. Pretty sweet - wish we would have thought of that!

We really enjoyed the daily morning coffee and wine in the afternoon. Ehren was fun to talk to and very helpful. Housekeeping was great - Joleen, the director of housekeeping, stopped by and offered us her card early in our stay. We weren't in the room much, but always seemed to be when the staff were coming around to restock the honor bar. No big deal, we didn't need much replenished. The bed was VERY comfortable, and our room was nice and quiet. We requested a courtyard room away from neighboring SLS. The SLS plays loud music until all hours and that is not really our thing, so we were pleased with our quiet room on the other side, and away from the street.

We utilized the workout room almost each day and it was great. Hardly ever anyone else in there, so that was nice, and basic equipment for our daily routine. It wasn't the cleanest room I've seen, so that could probably use some attention, but no big deal. My partner also took advantage of the complementary boot camp class on Friday morning on the beach. He got an amazing workout and wound up being the only student, so it was like a private session! The Surfcomber apparently just started offering this with Tremaine and Alex from The Art of Wellness - we highly recommend, but be prepared to sweat!

How sad we were to leave! Upon checkout, while my other half was downstairs packing the car, Dorgis came up to our room to collect me and the rest of our things. I was struggling with zipping our suitcase, and he quickly stepped in to help me. Downstairs he and Monty got us all packed up and off we went. A few miles down the road, I received a phone call from Monty asking, "How did you get your car to start? I have your key!" We luckily had a spare, so we asked that he mail us the one he had, and he was more than happy to do so.

There is an element of service here that rivals any other hotel experience that we have had. Each person genuinely cared about us and went out of their way to ensure that we had a great stay. There is noticeable teamwork, and the staff has fun with each other, which lends to the feeling of being a guest in someone's home. This is our first experience at a Kimpton property and we were wowed. We will be back to the Surfcomber for sure - we miss our friends already!

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms away from the SLS are key to restful, quiet evenings.

Meghan G,

Thanks for noting so many of our great team members. What an awesome experience you had with us and I am happy to hear we wow'd you and you will be back not only with us, but to other Kimpton hotels in the Kimpton nation. If you haven't already signed up for our loyalty program you should do so you can take advantage of some fun perks like $10 to raid the bar!