“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
uk
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I used trip adviser to choose the hotel and it didn't disappoint, the hotel staff were great always courteous and keen to help (the complimentary morning coffee & afternoon wine was much appreciated). The rooms were clean and of a reasonable size and the beds 'although a personal thing' were comfortable. We didn't use the hotel restaurant in the evening but breakfast sitting out on the veranda watching the world go by was very pleasant.
My son's comment - the hotel looked cool and they did ice coffee in the morning.
Daughters comment - pool was great and on the beach in seconds wow!
Wife comment - great central location easy walking distance from Lincoln Av and Ocean Dr

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank rgibo
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
rgibo,

Thank you for staying with us at Surfcomber! I love how you had the whole family involved in the review; happy to hear that everyone enjoyed their time with us. See you soon!

-Nick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was my second time staying at the Surfcomber - I had also stayed last year during a vacation to celebrate my birthday. We had such an amazing experience last time at this hotel that we knew we had to return again soon! The service is fantastic, every employee truly makes you feel special and treats you like royalty during your stay. When you're on vacation, they make it count!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Liz V
Liz V,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Surfcomber! We are happy that you have a home away form home in South Beach. We hope to see you before next year!

New York
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Escaping New York winters for a long weekend has been a ritual for us for a number of years. The past two years we stayed at the Surfcomber, and had a very positive experience overall. So we selected the Surfcomber again for our return this year.

Our experience this time was disappointing. The property and rooms are showing a good bit of wear and tear! For the price one pays, you expect that everything will be well maintained. The pool area experience was average this time. Food has really gone down, and the closing of the restaurant area by the pool is definitely a bad decision.

The carpet in our room and the bathroom definitely some renewal love. Common Kimpton...this is Miami and folks are spending money to stay at this property. You need to invest in upkeep!

We ended up going to the Raleigh twice during our stay for meals and drinks and loved it. That property has been totally rejuvenated. We used to stay there and left it for the Kimpton after a not so great experience about 4 years ago. I think we will be back at the Raleigh next year. The Kimpton needs to make a fair number of improvements for us to be back there for a fourth year in 2015.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barca212
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
barca212,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback. I am very sorry to hear that we let you down. The third time is supposed to be a charm, not a let down. We have some serious maintenance programs in place which we will push harder in order to ensure the property is always looking its best. Please be so kind to send me a private message so we can discuss how to win you back for another stay.

Warm regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel for a week with my family in Late December. In summary I was very impressed by the hotel. Key points:

- the rooms were well furnished and of a good size
- the people working at the hotel were always eager to help is with all aspects of our stay
- the hotel's location was great for visiting the beach and also the various restaurants and bars of South Beach
- it was expensive but all hotels in the area are (especially around New Years) and I found it more reasonably priced than other places
- the hotel had an enjoyable private section of Miami Beach and a good pool and deck chairs
- the hotel gym is quite small but I made a lot of use of it

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank ZoSoJade
ZoSoJade,

Thank you for the great posting! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and can't wait to see you in South Beach soon!

Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights before heading to Key West. After KW I was planning to stay in Ft. Lauderdale for my last 3 nights in Florida. But I enjoyed my stay at the Surfcomber so much that I wanted to come back. I changed my reservations to only stay 1 night in FL to check it out and return to the Surfcomber for my last 2 nights and am glad I did! The Surfcomber is a 3 story Art Deco hotel on the beach in a great location. The pool and service at the pool is excellent. They have a great bar at the beach with great bartenders. They have a great beach club where they will set up a lounge chair for you and for a nominal fee they will set up a umbrella for you. There is also drink service at the beach club. I loved it! The service was excellent.
The rooms and bathrooms are small but clean, comfortable and functional. But honestly, in SoBe you don't spend much time in your room. Or at least you shouldn't. Even though the hotel is on the beach it is a bit of a walk to the ocean. But most of that is because Miami beach is so wide. I have walked further to the beach staying on the beach in Lanai.
I loved this hotel and can't wait to go back!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank sgsilva
Hi sgsilva,

We were happy to read the great review! Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful feedback and we hope to see you soon!

Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed from Friday through to Monday. In April 2014. We had an ocean view balcony room. The service at the front desk was helpful and courteous on check in and the concierge made good recommendations for restaurants. What was disappointing was the balcony we had paid a significant premium for: the plants in pots on the balcony merely served to attract Mosquitos that made the balcony virtually unusable.
As other reviewers have mentioned the hotel is popular with "bachelorette parties". Some of the groups were pretty rowdy during the day and were encouraged to drink cocktails in the pool by staff. South Beach is a party venue and so is this hotel. I wouldn't recommend staying here with young children or if you are looking for a quiet relaxing time by the pool during the day.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying the large premium for a ocean view balcony room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Batchworthboys,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that the mosquitos on the balcony disrupted your stay. We are taking a proactive approach to controlling them and hope that next time you will not have a similar experience. We try to balance the needs of our guests seeking the South Beach experience with those seeking a relaxing one. I am sorry if there was any disruption by the pool from other guests. We do hope you consider to giving us another chance.

Warm regards,

Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Good location, good infrastructure, good rooms, good staff.

Several little things to improve:

1. Don't charge the pool apart, I'd rather pay more from the begining than being received with this annoying surprise after a long trip.

2. Improve cleanliness. Dirt behind the drawers,
looks like it had never been cleaned. Blankets and sheets were stained.

3. Improve communication. I've asked for local calls rates and they told me it was 10 cents per minute, but the bill was 1 dollar per call. I've asked for the car and had to wait more than half an hour. Because of this slowness, before going to the airport I've asked for it with 40 minutes in advance, but when I was checking out they took the car again to the parking lot without advice and had to wait another 15 minutes.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
John_Yunez,

Thank you for the recent stay and sharing your experience with us. I do apologize that we let you down. The items regarding valet and housekeeping will be addressed immediately. The resort fee charge is still under review as we have many people that appreciate the beach chairs being included. Once again, thank you for the feedback, and we hope to see you again.

Kind regards,