“Funky little place with direct beach access”

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #39 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Funky little place with direct beach access”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Funky little place with direct access to the beach and within walking distance of Ocean Drive, and pedestrian streets Lincoln Rd and Espanola way.
You get beach chairs/towels included with your room you only needd to pay extra for the umbrella, if you want one and the price is reasonable $19.
There's cool corners to hang out and relax like the bar at the back of the property with a sanded area with comfy couches and the private cabanas by the pool with couches and TVs.
The service was great, everyone was really friendly and ready to help with suggestions of where to go, eat, etc....
There's a funky vibe to the hotel with kitchy art pieces all over, the rooms are quite small but cute (bathrooms are the tiniest I've ever seen).
The one recommendation I have for management is to make sure used glasses and utensils are removed promptly from the halls. They tend to be left there for a while and its ver unsightly.
Overall a great experience we would definitely go back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
cdiaz_13,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to hear you had a great time and liked the design of the property. We will certainly address those hallway concerns. We appreciate your business and look foward to seeing you again.

Kind regards,

Nick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rancho cucamonga, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Overall we enjoyed this hotel. For the price, I thought the rooms were kind of small. It was a girlfriend and I and in a room with 2 queen beds and the room was so small we couldn't both keep our suitcases anywhere without constantly having to move them. The bathroom was SUPER small and had really minimal shelf space.

We had a room on the first floor and our window looked out into a wall. It seemed that service workers would took past out room with carts quite often and it was loud. Our shower had a ton of marks On it that made it look really dirty. What really bugged me was the lack of drapes. There were only blinds and they were not effective at blocking out the light at all. When you are in Miami and you stay out late, you Hope to sleep past 7am when the sun comes blaring in but no such luck.

The things that saved this hotel for me were the staff who were consistently sweet! They made good suggestions and always opened the door. The only area where the service was horrible was the pool. It took a ridiculous amount of time to even get a server then took forever to get them to come back and take our order and even longer to get anything from them. The pool area was nice however and the location was walkable to a ton of stuff.

I think this hotel was nice but for the price, I would stay else where in the area.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Tiffkat2000
Dear Tiffkat2000,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am very sorry we let you down and did not deliver on a flawless experience. Although we may be restricted with room size as we, like most Miami Beach hotels, have a historical building, we should provide excellent service throughout. I will certainly be following up with our housekeeping and pool team to ensure that we are delivering on our service promise. In regards to your commments about the shades, all of the rooms we have blackout shades that are hidden behind the blinds. I will be sure we double check all the rooms to make sure they are in the rooms. I would like to ask that you reach out to me directly via private message so we can discuss ways to have your give us another chance.

Warm regards,

uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I used trip adviser to choose the hotel and it didn't disappoint, the hotel staff were great always courteous and keen to help (the complimentary morning coffee & afternoon wine was much appreciated). The rooms were clean and of a reasonable size and the beds 'although a personal thing' were comfortable. We didn't use the hotel restaurant in the evening but breakfast sitting out on the veranda watching the world go by was very pleasant.
My son's comment - the hotel looked cool and they did ice coffee in the morning.
Daughters comment - pool was great and on the beach in seconds wow!
Wife comment - great central location easy walking distance from Lincoln Av and Ocean Dr

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank rgibo
rgibo,

Thank you for staying with us at Surfcomber! I love how you had the whole family involved in the review; happy to hear that everyone enjoyed their time with us. See you soon!

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was my second time staying at the Surfcomber - I had also stayed last year during a vacation to celebrate my birthday. We had such an amazing experience last time at this hotel that we knew we had to return again soon! The service is fantastic, every employee truly makes you feel special and treats you like royalty during your stay. When you're on vacation, they make it count!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Liz V
Liz V,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Surfcomber! We are happy that you have a home away form home in South Beach. We hope to see you before next year!

New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Escaping New York winters for a long weekend has been a ritual for us for a number of years. The past two years we stayed at the Surfcomber, and had a very positive experience overall. So we selected the Surfcomber again for our return this year.

Our experience this time was disappointing. The property and rooms are showing a good bit of wear and tear! For the price one pays, you expect that everything will be well maintained. The pool area experience was average this time. Food has really gone down, and the closing of the restaurant area by the pool is definitely a bad decision.

The carpet in our room and the bathroom definitely some renewal love. Common Kimpton...this is Miami and folks are spending money to stay at this property. You need to invest in upkeep!

We ended up going to the Raleigh twice during our stay for meals and drinks and loved it. That property has been totally rejuvenated. We used to stay there and left it for the Kimpton after a not so great experience about 4 years ago. I think we will be back at the Raleigh next year. The Kimpton needs to make a fair number of improvements for us to be back there for a fourth year in 2015.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barca212
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
barca212,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback. I am very sorry to hear that we let you down. The third time is supposed to be a charm, not a let down. We have some serious maintenance programs in place which we will push harder in order to ensure the property is always looking its best. Please be so kind to send me a private message so we can discuss how to win you back for another stay.

Warm regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel for a week with my family in Late December. In summary I was very impressed by the hotel. Key points:

- the rooms were well furnished and of a good size
- the people working at the hotel were always eager to help is with all aspects of our stay
- the hotel's location was great for visiting the beach and also the various restaurants and bars of South Beach
- it was expensive but all hotels in the area are (especially around New Years) and I found it more reasonably priced than other places
- the hotel had an enjoyable private section of Miami Beach and a good pool and deck chairs
- the hotel gym is quite small but I made a lot of use of it

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank ZoSoJade
ZoSoJade,

Thank you for the great posting! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and can't wait to see you in South Beach soon!

Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights before heading to Key West. After KW I was planning to stay in Ft. Lauderdale for my last 3 nights in Florida. But I enjoyed my stay at the Surfcomber so much that I wanted to come back. I changed my reservations to only stay 1 night in FL to check it out and return to the Surfcomber for my last 2 nights and am glad I did! The Surfcomber is a 3 story Art Deco hotel on the beach in a great location. The pool and service at the pool is excellent. They have a great bar at the beach with great bartenders. They have a great beach club where they will set up a lounge chair for you and for a nominal fee they will set up a umbrella for you. There is also drink service at the beach club. I loved it! The service was excellent.
The rooms and bathrooms are small but clean, comfortable and functional. But honestly, in SoBe you don't spend much time in your room. Or at least you shouldn't. Even though the hotel is on the beach it is a bit of a walk to the ocean. But most of that is because Miami beach is so wide. I have walked further to the beach staying on the beach in Lanai.
I loved this hotel and can't wait to go back!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank sgsilva
Hi sgsilva,

We were happy to read the great review! Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful feedback and we hope to see you soon!