“Pool Side Bar”

Ranked #37 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Pool Side Bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Went to the pool bar with my wife and met one of the best bartenders I have had the pleasure of spending my money with "Pat". Her personality and energy is infectious and made our visit one to remember.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robvalvarez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

The staff were so friendly and accommodating. Location was beautiful -- great pool with awesome cabanas where you can just kick back and relax, with the ocean directly behind you. The director, Chris Mehmel, took a group of us on a walking tour of the area which included scoping out the art deco architecture. It was the first time my sister and I stayed there but would definitely love to go back and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Very nice boutique hotel with beachfront access. It is in a good location near shops and many restaurants. The decor has a beachy chic feel. Tea and coffee are offered daily complimentary as well as wine at 5 pm. The smell throughout the hotel is nice and flowery. Though the room was small the bed was super comfortable. The bathroom could be a little bigger it was hard to style my hair and get ready with such little space to work with. The shower was a bit tricky either super hot or cold. But these were minuscule issues. I came for my birthday and the manager, Alex sent up a bottle of champagne and even wrote a nice card. Thank you Alex and team. The pool area is pleasant. The hotel provides sun screen and fruit infused water. The beach is very close and a quick walk from the pool area. Hotel offers beach chairs and umbrellas are $19. The beach service is provided by a third party company. You can also try their bar and restaurant for a small bite or drink. The drinks are very different and interesting. The breakfast wrap and fruit plate is tasty. The hotel is neighbors with SLS and Delano. Be sure to check them out for a bite or a drink. Would come back again, treated customers well.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Ilyane512-

It sounds like you had a great birthday! It is great to hear our new Front Office Manager Alex took special care of you! Regardless of the bathroom size, I heard your hair looked incredible! Thank you so much for the business and we can't wait to see you before your next birthday!

-Nick
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Kimpton is my favorite hotel chain and the Surfcomber was awesome in every way. The staff is friendly, welcoming and did everything to make sure we had a great time. Wendy at the desk, Pat at the pool bar and Juju on the beach, were especially great. The location is spectacular, the rooms clean and comfortable, and catering was beyond expectations. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ilkb-stp
ilkb-stp,

Thank you for highlighting a few of our rockstars on property! We are happy we can provide the amazing experience you can expect from all Kimpton Hotels! We hope to see you soon!

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

The hotel is in a nice spot and genuinely well designed. Staff is friendly, too. But then there are some things that are simply not acceptable: delivering a fruit plate with rotten/ mouldy grapes for breakfast is not on.Removing T-shirts from a pool stretcher after I asked whether it is ok to put it there and then not having anyone on duty to return is very poor service. Asking the doorman for a cab that accepts credit cards, him saying he will try his best to find one, but then not even asking the cab driver whether cards are indeed accepted is disrespectful.
As I said, the hotel and ammenities are genuinely nice, but some very basic stuff is missing. I was there on my own during a business trip. Would I stay again with my wife? No.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank citruschill
Dear citruschill,

I am truly sorry that we failed you during your last stay. The experience that you described is not acceptable and we will certainly use your feedback to ensure that future guests do not receive a similar experience. Please feel free to reach out to me directly via private message to discuss your experience further.

Kind regards,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Funky little place with direct access to the beach and within walking distance of Ocean Drive, and pedestrian streets Lincoln Rd and Espanola way.
You get beach chairs/towels included with your room you only needd to pay extra for the umbrella, if you want one and the price is reasonable $19.
There's cool corners to hang out and relax like the bar at the back of the property with a sanded area with comfy couches and the private cabanas by the pool with couches and TVs.
The service was great, everyone was really friendly and ready to help with suggestions of where to go, eat, etc....
There's a funky vibe to the hotel with kitchy art pieces all over, the rooms are quite small but cute (bathrooms are the tiniest I've ever seen).
The one recommendation I have for management is to make sure used glasses and utensils are removed promptly from the halls. They tend to be left there for a while and its ver unsightly.
Overall a great experience we would definitely go back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
cdiaz_13,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to hear you had a great time and liked the design of the property. We will certainly address those hallway concerns. We appreciate your business and look foward to seeing you again.

Kind regards,

Rancho cucamonga, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Overall we enjoyed this hotel. For the price, I thought the rooms were kind of small. It was a girlfriend and I and in a room with 2 queen beds and the room was so small we couldn't both keep our suitcases anywhere without constantly having to move them. The bathroom was SUPER small and had really minimal shelf space.

We had a room on the first floor and our window looked out into a wall. It seemed that service workers would took past out room with carts quite often and it was loud. Our shower had a ton of marks On it that made it look really dirty. What really bugged me was the lack of drapes. There were only blinds and they were not effective at blocking out the light at all. When you are in Miami and you stay out late, you Hope to sleep past 7am when the sun comes blaring in but no such luck.

The things that saved this hotel for me were the staff who were consistently sweet! They made good suggestions and always opened the door. The only area where the service was horrible was the pool. It took a ridiculous amount of time to even get a server then took forever to get them to come back and take our order and even longer to get anything from them. The pool area was nice however and the location was walkable to a ton of stuff.

I think this hotel was nice but for the price, I would stay else where in the area.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Tiffkat2000
Dear Tiffkat2000,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am very sorry we let you down and did not deliver on a flawless experience. Although we may be restricted with room size as we, like most Miami Beach hotels, have a historical building, we should provide excellent service throughout. I will certainly be following up with our housekeeping and pool team to ensure that we are delivering on our service promise. In regards to your commments about the shades, all of the rooms we have blackout shades that are hidden behind the blinds. I will be sure we double check all the rooms to make sure they are in the rooms. I would like to ask that you reach out to me directly via private message so we can discuss ways to have your give us another chance.

Warm regards,