Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
The Betsy - South Beach(Miami Beach)
US$518
US$466
Official Site
US$496
US$421
  • Pool
Fontainebleau Miami Beach(Miami Beach)
US$376
US$341
US$528
US$367
  • Beachfront
W South Beach(Miami Beach)
US$427
US$341
  • Beachfront
Mondrian South Beach Hotel(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$234
US$204
  • Pool
Grand Beach Hotel(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$193
  • Pool
The Palms Hotel & Spa(Miami Beach)
US$261
US$227
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Eden Roc Miami Beach Resort(Miami Beach)
US$337
US$321
  • Beachfront
SLS South Beach(Miami Beach)
US$416
US$371
Travelocity
3,665 results
All reviewswine hoursocial clubsouth beachpool areacomplimentary winelincoln roadpool stafffront desk staffrooms are smallhappy hourpool partyan umbrellaresort feespecial shoutbeach accessgreat poolbeach service
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Start with the positives. This hotel is in a great location. The poolside gates on this property open directly onto a fantastic sidewalk/boardwalk (which continues all the way up and down the beach) and miles of beautiful beach. The hotel pool (which is the center of the action) is outstanding, with private cabanas in two stories on both sides of the pool.

Check in was an experience. It reminded me of service at a grand hotel during the gilded age. Valet parkers and bell staff who move at blinding speed, beautiful receptionists, champagne, etc. Very impressive.

The room was OK, but not great for the price. The room had a "balcony", but it was really just the roof of the meeting space below our room, and there was no awning or umbrella, so it was too hot to use most of the day.

The biggest issue during our stay had to do with private parties. The first night there was a private party in the pool area. They had a DJ, and the music was really, really loud. This effectively ruled out spending the evening poolside. In our room, even with windows and curtains closed, the music was so loud that we didn't even try to get to sleep until the party finally broke a bit after 2:00. I came to South Beach to party, and I don't expect the town to be quiet like a mountain resort, but I expect to be able to choose my own parties, and I expect to be able to return to a reasonably quiet room by midnight.

The restaurant in the hotel was OK for breakfast, but the service was spotty. When we checked in, the front desk told us breakfast was available until 11:00. When we arrived at the restaurant at 10:30, the waiter said that breakfast closed at 10:00, but that a few items (toast, etc.) were available 10:00-11:00. We settled on oatmeal, then watched as the two waiters got into an argument over whether oatmeal was or was available after 10:00.

So, desk staff great, restaurant staff not so much. Pool area great, but booking it out to private parties at night isn't fair to hotel guests. Rooms OK, but not as good as they should be for the price. In a nutshell, it was a mixed experience, and I'll probably choose another property next time I vacation in South Beach.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CrimsonProf
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Excellent location, very friendly staff and very clean. Room décor is different so you may love it or not love it.

We were passing through Miami and stayed one night. We arrived around dinner time and were looking forward to some pool time before heading to dinner. Then we found out the entire pool was closed for a private function. We were then cheerfully told that the pool would reopen after midnight – not cool. After getting showers and pretending it was the pool we headed out for dinner.

We ended up back at the hotel around 12:15am or so and apparently the private function was still going on. When I tell you the music was loud in our 3rd floor room I really mean so loud that we had to turn the TV volume up significantly. I’ve stayed in many hotels and have never experienced such disregard for the paying customer. To be clear – the fact that I had more sangria then I should have did help me to fall asleep close to 1:00am – just after the music stopped. A discount on our room or even a waiver of the resort fee would have been nice, but it didn’t happen.

Overall a great hotel, but when paying close to $400/night I do think the pool closure and loud music shouldn’t happen.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Koho26
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This was my second stay here, 1st was for the Miami International Boat Show on business, this trip for a concert at the Fillmore. Walking distance to each of these is perfect.
When I arrived for my 2nd stay I was greeted by people who had met me over 2 months ago for a 1 night stay. I was recognized by several staffers. In South Beach this is unheard of.
Check in was a breeze. My room was on the 3rd floor overlooking Collins Ave. Clean modern with the SoBe deco flair.
Sure the bathrooms are small, this is an old property and I think that it is part of the charm.
No funky odors as I have experienced in many other SoBe stays at other "nice" locations.
From now on my frequent stays will always be here.
Great, helpful and friendly staff, good food and as close to everything as I care to be.

Thank You Kimpton!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Just got back from a 4 night/5 day stay at this hotel. I was met upon arrival by Gorgeous Dorgis who took my bags and handed me a glass of champange, nice touch.
The rooms...eh. Mine was 218, located right above a service door. Apparantly the staff gets in at 6am and would bang that door consistantly all day, every day. Window shaking, jolt you out of sleep, banging. My phone didn't work, the carpet seemed musty and dirty as well as the bathroom (tiny). The front desk staff seemed to care less when this was brought to their attention and the hotel was of course "over booked" and I could not change rooms.
The "pool party", if that's what you'd call it, is held on Saturdays. Think more of a ridiculously loud and inappropriate Rave with several non-hotel guests. We hit the beach, it was lovely and the staff very attentive.
My kudos go to SMITH at the pool. We were a group of 16 and he was always available to take our food and drink orders. This kid went above and beyond every day we were there. In particular, our first day by the pool, it started raining horribly. We found shelter in a covered lounge area to continue visiting. While all the other pool staff scattered with the rain, Smith stayed and continued to serve us for a couple more hours!
Overall my friends and I had a great time - but we could do that just about anywhere.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Meghan G
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I decided to take a short 3 day trip to Miami last week. After tons of research I finally found the Surfcomber. I liked the fact that they are right on the beach and they are located near everything. They also have a great pool with plenty of chairs.

Upon my first contact with the hotel, I spoke to Brad, the concierge. Brad and I exchanged many emails before I arrived He was very professional. He gave me tons of suggestions on what to do in town and made reservations for me at a great restaurant down the street.

When I arrived, the friendly doorman helped me with my bags and led me over to Wendy at the front desk. Wendy was so nice and polite. She gave me a few suggestions also and made me feel right at home. About 15 minutes after i got into my room, she called to make sure everything was to my liking, which was really cool of her to do.

Later that day I met Luz at the front desk. She is such a great asset to the Surfcomber. She treats every guest like royalty. I saw her speak to a few other patrons also, and she makes everyone feel important and excited to come into the hotel. She even complimented my date and made her feel special when i brought her to the hotel to drop something off before we went out.

On the beach I was attended by Jessica. She was very nice and engaged in conversation with me for a while. She also gave me some great tips on what to do in down, she was great.

Now the bartender that helped me out at the lobby bar was great too, but i am embarrassed that i forgot her name :( she is the young girl from new England.

Good customer service is so rare these days, and that fact that all these people are at this hotel, is pretty amazing. They must have a really great management team. Happy employees will make customers happy.

I will absolutely be coming to the Surfcomber upon my next visit to Miami.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo