“Nice stay, decent staff, but costly” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #38 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Nice stay, decent staff, but costly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Surfcomber with 4 friends and we had a great experience. I did however feel that we over payed based on our needs (we are students), but the hotel was in a great location and was a short walk to the beach area and ocean av. The hotel staff was pleasant and Kenneth and David made our visits to the concierge desk very helpful every time. They also provided some great suggestions on clubs, bars and restaurants. When I can afford another stay, I would be glad to come back!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Daniel B
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Daniel B,

Thank you for the recent stay with us at Surfcomber! Great to see that David and Kenneth were able to help set you up with reccomendations and reservations for South Beach's best spots! Hotels in Miami (especially with a beachside location) can be expensive. Now is the time to come back soon...summer can have the best rates! Check out September for some of the best rates all year! Looking foward to seeing you back in Miami!

-Nick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I have stayed at several Kimpton Hotels and they all have one thing in common - FABULOUS service!! The wine hour and free breakfast do not hurt either. Surfcomber was situated in the middle of everything, a short walk to Ocean Drive, Lincoln Blvd and everything you'd want to see/visit in SoBe. My room was CLEAN, trendy yet chic! The hotel staff (everyone from the front desk, housekeeping to my waitress' at the pool and beach) - yes you can have drinks and lunch right on the beach, were all super professional and friendly! Next time I come to SoBe, I'll be staying at the Surfcomber! Thanks so much!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Katherine A
Katherine A-

WOW - what a great posting! Thanks for highlighting a couple of the departments that helped make your stay memorable! We love to hear the great feedback and really appreciate your business. We look foward to seeing you soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Surfcomber. I checked in on Saturday and stayed until Tuesday morning. I wanted a nice hotel on the beach in Miami that was away from the craziness of south beach but close enough to Lincoln Road. I also wanted to find a hotel that was smaller in size and big on service. Surfcomber was the perfect spot. I have been to Miami several times and stayed at big name hotels close by and was treated as just another guest. From the moment I pulled up in the cab, the service was genuine and the staff was incredibly friendly. From complimentary sparkling wine at check in, to cold towels at the pools, to infused water throughout the day, you feel like you are the only guest while at Surfcomber. I would highly recommend this hotel to any and all friends in the future.

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor and the room was clean, quiet and luxurious.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank PhillyGirl8810
PhillyGirl8810-

Your posting perfectly describes the experience we strive for! Starting off a stay with a glass of sparkling wine followed by getting pampered by the pool after a long night out...isn't that why everyone comes to South Beach? I'm happy you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for the recent stay and posting. We look foward to welcoming you back soon!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

The Surfcomber Miami Beach is perfectly situated ocean front on CollinsAve. and within walking distance of most things Miami Beach. It used to be the Double Tree but rest assured it is all Kimpton now.

The lobby is modern, chic and welcoming with beautiful driftwood planks, burlap poufs and comfortable loungers and sofas. Just off the lobby is Social Club the hotel's restaurant.

The valet is fast and efficient and genuinely hospitable. The reception is hard to miss and is just as you enter. It seems to be the policy not to keep anyone waiting and staff will magically emerge to ensure check-in and questions are addressed quickly. There is a $20 resort fee. This takes care of all the towel service as well as two set up ocean-side chairs. Luz is awesome at the front desk as is Nick in operations who really takes care of customers needs.

I stayed in two rooms during my stay. The first was room 208. This is a double room with a view over Collins Ave. This is a small-ish room, facing the front of the hotel with windows that cannot open on to a terrace. This room is noisy. The windows need to be upgraded to block this out - there are restaurants that go on to the wee hours with music as well as the Miami revelers that are having an awesome time on the street. I had to request robes as these had not been initially supplied in the room. The bathroom is also quite small, so while the room does have two beds - it really is a room that can realistically accommodate only 2 people.

Each morning there is complimentary coffee, tea and iced coffee in the lobby. It was national doughnut day while I was there and there were wonderful doughnuts along with the coffee that morning.

The pool is beautiful with chill music through out the day. It has plenty of umbrellas and food service. Marcus took great care of the pool area ensuring plenty of towels and wonderful fruit water. There is a super cool fountain as you enter the pool and a waterfall in the pool that is fun to sit under. There are plenty of chairs for guests though this is low season so this may different during busier times. There is also a nice beach path that runs for miles and is great for running or walking.

On the second level over the pool there are cool tropical vibe cabanas, staff is super hospitable with a high level of customer service ensuring you have plenty of what ever you need.

Think about grabbing a beach cabana - it is a wonderful way to pass the day away just watching the ocean, swimming and sleeping in your own shaded oasis. Vinnie on the beach was very helpful in making the day very special.

The next room I stayed in was 282. It has its own patio and overlooks the pool and ocean. This is a king room with a much larger bathroom and a patio with two loungers and two chairs as well as privacy landscaping. Lovely room that has a ton of privacy while allowing you to soak up sun and see all the action in the pool.

There is a pool party on Sat from 1pm to 8pm with some great DJ sounds.

The Surfcomber is a wonderful spot for singles and families with awesome water activities and an ocean just a few steps away with staff who are truly dedicated to ensuring a memorable stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank cheryl e
Dear cheryl e,

Thank you for the recent stay and taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We do our best to make sure that every guest has an enjoyable and memorable experience. I loved that our team has been able to master the magical 'appear out of nowhere' to ensure everyone is well served! We will certainly be looking in the future to make improvements to the windows to help block out the city noise of Collins Ave. My apologies that you had to move, but was happy to see that you were able to get a great balcony room! Thank you again and we can't wait to make your next trip to South Beach special.

Kind regards,

Nick
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have stayed at a lot of hotels in South Beach and tried this out on June 9th. I have to stay I was highly disappointed. I read all the reviews and clearly people have low expectations of a hotel. The color scheme in the hotel is black and hallways very dark. The room is what others have said very small and that's fine for how long we would be in the hotel. The pool and surroundings were not the attractive. It definitely has room for improvement. It is average at best but priceline has it for a 4 star hotel for some reason to be careful on what you are bidding on. The hotel is centrally located but in the strip of from that block to like block 11 it is the worst hotel within that block by far. The staff there seemed to be nice however.

Room Tip: If you can get this for around $130 it would be worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ciganik
Ciganik-

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Please reach out to me directly via private message so we can discuss ways to make your return trip to South Beach more enjoyable.

Regards,

Nick
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

So it was my second time to Miami but first time staying at the Surfcomber & it was probably the greatest decision i have ever made.The Hotel in itself is just all around amazing from the minute you arrive up to your very last days , the staff is AMAZING & VERY professional & might i add they treat you like you are royalty which is very hard to come by in most hotels so we were BEYOND grateful for that , the hotel in itself was clean & so were the rooms and there was NEVER a problem with anything house keeping was also great & such sweethearts always greeting you with a good morning if you happen to run in to them in the hallways. Free wine tasting from 5-6 & free coffee & tea in the morning were just the half of what they had to offer. The pool area was beautiful there you will find chris mingling with all the hotel guests such a great guy if you ever have any questions he is the go to guy especially if you are looking for a nice seafood restaurant to eat at !!! . The beach which is located directly in back of the hotel was just awesome & even the staff on the beach were so helpful from fetching chairs & bringing you towels when asked you would think you were a celebrity !! . You will also find vinny on the beach who is all around just a great guy his smile & humor are sure to just brighten up your day ! I decided to save the best for last & that would be the concierges Jenny who we met at check in was such a sweetheart her smile is sure to brighten up your day & any questions we had were answered right away..Kenneth also was a great guy very helpful also, especially if you are in to the nightlife & are looking for a place to dance the night away be sure to ask him & he will fit you with a place to your likings !!! ... Overall this has been the best hotel experience ive had & i will be sure to come back & stay at the surfcomber again.. trust me YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!

1 Thank Lori K
Lori K-

The entire team loved reading your incredible review! Everyone works very hard to make sure that our guests don't have to do anything but focus on having fun. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your fantastic experience! We are very happy to hear that it was your best vacation so far (until your return visit anyways). Once again, we really appreciate your great feedback and cannot wait to making the return trip even better!

Astoria, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

It was my first time visiting Miami and the staff at the Surfcomber really made me feel welcomed.Kenneth and Jenny where an amazing part of the team, they were more than happy to directed us to some of the best clubs and restaurants in Miami. Chris and Vinny were also amazing staff members who helped us out by the beach and pool and made sure we always had great seats. Over all this hotel was amazing and really made our whole trip worth it. The restaurant in the hotel was amazing and the beach was literally steps away from our room. We had our privacy but were able to get anything we needed at the same time. The staff was extremely polite and eager to make our stay as pleasurable as possible. We felt comfortable and they fulfilled our every desire. There is not one thing I could complain about, I will be visiting Miami again soon and be staying at the Surfcomber.

Eleni I-

Thank you for the incredible review! We cannot wait to welcome you back for another round of pampering by the pool and beach!