“Good hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cheshire, England
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the hotel on 3rd June just for one night.
We really do like the Kimpton brand and it was just as good as the other Kimpton hotels we have stayed in before. The real asset we found to this hotel was the staff, everyone we spoke to were lovely, very pleasant and a ‘can do’ and ‘here to help’ attitude.

It’s a really well placed hotel, not far from the beach and parking is expensive but easy – with the valet just taking it away, it was good not having to worry about where to park.

Complimentary wine tasting was good and the complimentary tea in the morning was very much appreciated.

The building and rooms are very well maintained and modern (room is quite small by American standards). We are quite light sleepers and didn't sleep very well due to hearing people on the floor above walk around.

Only problem we experienced during our stay: we decided to eat in the hotel and booked a table for 7:45pm - however we didn't actually eat any food until 9:30pm. Whilst the food was very good, the service from the kitchen really let them down, it wasn't even busy. After ordering it took nearly an hour for the food to arrive and when it did my husband's fish wasn't cooked in the middle. They were very nice about it and said they would do another one. Oh dear that took nearly another hour for that to arrive hence the long time. We had driven up from the Keys that day and were both very hungry, they did bring us some fruit while we were waiting, and they knocked a bottle of water for $6 off our bill, but really I think they should have given my husbands fish free after that wait. We didn't make a fuss we just wanted to eat and sleep. When we got home to England, I did mention the meal on our questionaire and we were contacted very quickly to offer us a meal 'on the house'. I wrote back and said it seems a bit expensive for us to fly back from England for a free meal, and that they should refund our credit card but they didn't reply. Shame really, that they didn't even reply to that email and a refund to our credit card would have been a nice gesture. Maybe we won't eat in a Kimpton next time.

Having said that we would stay again (however South Beach isn't really for us, so doubt we will go back to that area) and I really do recommend the Kimpton brand - if we have a choice we would always try and stay in a Kimpton.

Room Tip: Top floor then you will not hear people above you
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Surfcomber_Nick, Director of Operations at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Hi AmAstley-

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. I am very sorry that we let you down during your dining experience. I am even more sorry about the lack of follow up. I have sent a message so that you can finishing resolving the problem. It was great to see that the rest of your stay was enjoyable. We really value your business and hope you give us a change again in our hotels and restaurants.

Warm regards,

Nick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I just went on a week long trip to Miami with some friends for the first time and we were so happy that we chose to stay at the Surfcomber! The location was perfect and in the heart of everything, the amenities were great, and the staff were phenomenal. All the concierge staff were highly knowledgeable about all of our requests - whether it was shopping, dining, going out, or doing a tour. They really helped us out and ensured that we had the best week possible. Amazing hotel and super friendly staff! A special shoutout goes to Kenneth, the concierge who helped us out most! We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an amazing experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sabina B
Sabina B-

Thank you for the recent stay and great review! I am very happy that Kenneth and the rest of the team took great care of you! We look foward to welcoming you back soon.

-Nick
New Braunfels, Tx
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel is well situated....I picked it for its beachfront location, its Kimpton name & vibe, and a good price for beachfront in South Beach. Really enjoyed the decor, casual yet sophisticated vibe. Got a free upgrade to a king room. Got a glowing welcome as soon as we arrived: staff is extremely friendly and eager to please. Liked our room....noisy neighbors across the hall were easy to drown out with A.C. fan! Good food and service in the Social Club, which we visited about 3 times. Enjoyed coffee bar in the morning, also great cold-pressed juice from the Social Club in the morning. Enjoyed a bit of the pool on Saturday morning but the extremely loud techno music that accompanied a foul-mouthed DJ for the World Cup Saturday pool party, complete with large bouncers checking girls purses and a half-passed-out young man being carried out by his friends ruined any ability to have fun at the pool all Saturday afternoon till sundown. It was open to the public, crowded, and not an asset to the hotel. I hope they re-think the Saturday pool parties. Otherwise, it would be everything I would want in a beach hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear TxGSG,

Thank you for the recent stay and sharing your experience. It was great to see you liked the room and our staff took great care of you. I am very sorry that the pool party was not managed as strictly as it should have been. We will certainly use your feedback in making adjustments for future events.

Regards,

Nick
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We just completed a week's stay for our family of eight adults -- and with everyone being in agreement that the Surfcomber was a wonderful find. The staff in this lovely property were uniformly friendly and genuinely anxious to please -- when they would ask "How is your stay" or "Is there anything we can do to improve your visit to the Surfcomber" (everyone from the front desk folks to housekeeping) you could tell that they really meant it. For an elegant small hotel, the Surfcomber had a very 'chill' vibe (We've previously stayed at both the Lowes and the Ritz -- and although these two sites are also both exceptional properties, the 'feel' to those places in not nearly as relaxed and personalized as at the Surfcomber). The lobby (where we would hang out late at night, playing card games) was warm, comfortable and classy. The pool area was truly lovely. We found the $20 daily resort fee to be a reasonable expense, given that it included a guarantee of a daily set-up beach-chair with towels at the pool (and thus, no early morning rush needed to claim 'dibs' on a pool side chair -- as we have experienced at so many other resorts). Much appreciated free touches were the complimentary coffee stand set out each morning, and the free wine hour every evening (some days there were special infusion-shots of liquor or mini appetizers as well). Also appreciated was the fact that the refrigerator's mini-bar items could be moved/rearranged -- for use in keeping any dinner left-overs, fruit, self-purchased sodas, etc cold . So many luxury resorts now have 'touch- sensitive' beverages in the mini-bar (you move it, you're charged for it) -- making it impossible to make use of the fridge for personal items. The hotel is in an excellent location -- only two blocks from all of the restaurants and shops of Lincoln Road. The rooms we had reserved were at the lower end of the price scale (with a AAA discount applied), and were small, but clean and nice -- with very attentive housekeeping services always at hand. Needless to say, no one in our family group was spending much time in the room for anything other than sleeping, so the room size wasn't an issue. All told,our stay at the Surfcomber made for a very happy and memorable family trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I live in Miami and like to have some R&R nearby from time to time. We've stayed at quite a few hotels and have never had an experience this great. The staff was phenomenal. Every single employee we met was more than willing to offer a warm smile and any assistance. Most of them remembered our names the next time we crossed paths. We took our 2 (well-behaved) dogs with us and were pleased to find that we could have them anywhere in the hotel from the social club to the pool area. The hotel is on the water and a 2 min walk from lincoln road, the best place to be on the beach. Honestly, i cannot say enough about my stay. It couldnt have been more spectacular. I'm so happy we chose the surfcomber. We'll be sure to return!

• Stayed June 2014
Washington DC
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have been here 3 times in the past 2 years. Overall, for hotel in Miami, top notch…Amazing beds!!! super clean, trendy, good food, friendly staff(be very friendly to staff right away at pool and they will be by your side before you can say I want to order or I'd like some water!). I love how this hotel has fruit infused water in the lobby and at the pool! A few things, check in is supposed to be at 3pm- I have waited longer, even when we had a group of 5 rooms…One time they said they would call and never did so at 4:30pm I finally said we need at least one room to get read for our events. Another thing is the food in the lobby bar area takes quite some time and completely forgot one dish for breakfast one morning. I had to really state my case for a late checkout seeing as we got into all of our rooms at 5pm finally.(this was the 3rd time staying and i had family/friends traveling on my recommendation :/) finally they said ok we can give you 2 rooms to check out late from. Unfortunately I have seen a decline int he customer service since the first time I stayed…but I'd be willing to go back to give it another try. Just be up front with them about expectations if they drop the ball on their side. price wise it beats some others if you are looking for a non party club pool during the day.

Room Tip: avoid the first floor if you can!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was in Miami for one week celebrating my birthday with friends. We chose this hotel because of really good reviews. And it was even better than we expected! Everything is so neat and clean in the rooms, wonderful swimming pool where everything is served what needed, great access to the beach and delicious food and drinks. Special thank to the guest service agent - Kennet who was very helpful to us, he always smiled so I felt very warm inside. He advised us a lot of good places to go and we spent amazing time there! And all the staff is always smiling, very friendly, you feel like at home or even better! Thank you Surfcomber, we will come back next time!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends